An Old School Catholic Message Board

Multicolored/rainbowish Stole?

lilac_angel

lilac_angel

I went to a face to face Confession with a priest (I had no choice; there was no Confession box); it was just one of the colleges chapels and after I came in he put on a stole that was pretty colorful. It may have even had all the colors of the rainbow, but it didn't look like one of those Anglican gay pride stoles or anything.

I wanted to know if this was normal and simply signified God's promise to the world and priests wore them on certain days or ordinary days or if this was a sign that he's not a good priest to Confess to? But he did everything right, followed the correct form, and even gave me some sound advice that sounded very reasonable and wise.

My main question, though, is if the Confession is definitely valid?

I tend to worry a lot and no one has said anything this far, but I just wanted confirmation on a board with experienced Catholics. This is the sixth time I attempted Confession and not had problems get in the way, too, so I really hope it was valid.

Edited by lilac_angel

Sacre Couer VHM

I really wouldn't worry about the color of the stoles. I once had a priest this last Lent who wore a Dr. Seuss stole. I personally wouldn't have worn it, even though I am a Dr. Seuss fan, but it didn't make the Confession any less valid. He could have worn no stole and it still would be valid. The only thing you really should worry about is if he didn't follow the rubrics of the Sacrament (omitted parts of the Absolution) or if he wasn't allowed to perform Confession. From what you described, he is in line with the Church teaching.

I personally prefer to have private Confession, but during Lenten Penance or Advent Penance services (or anything similar), Churches simply don't have the private space for all the priests volunteering. Chapels usually don't have Confession boxes from what I've seen.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Sacre Couer VHM

homeschoolmom

If everything else was kosher (words of absolution, etc), then I'm sure the color of the stole makes no difference. Think if you and he were in a foxhole and you wanted to make a confession and he didn't even HAVE a stole. Do you think the stole would make the confession valid or not?

I've seen two very coulorful stoles

One was a spanish one and the other was polish. I wouldn't judge the priest...it was probably a presant.

heavenseeker

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1914766' date='Jul 8 2009, 07:38 PM']If everything else was kosher (words of absolution, etc), then I'm sure the color of the stole makes no difference. Think if you and he were in a foxhole and you wanted to make a confession and he didn't even HAVE a stole. Do you think the stole would make the confession valid or not?[/quote]
i agree. the color shouldnt make any difference.

lilac_angel

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1914766' date='Jul 8 2009, 06:38 PM']If everything else was kosher (words of absolution, etc), then I'm sure the color of the stole makes no difference. Think if you and he were in a foxhole and you wanted to make a confession and he didn't even HAVE a stole. Do you think the stole would make the confession valid or not?[/quote]

Thank you. No, I just wasn't sure about rainbow because you know what that's typically associated with; if he was trying to advertise or symbolize something with it on purpose that was against Church teaching.

But yes, everything else seemed kosher.

Sacre Couer VHM

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1914766' date='Jul 8 2009, 08:38 PM']If everything else was kosher (words of absolution, etc), then I'm sure the color of the stole makes no difference. Think if you and he were in a foxhole and you wanted to make a confession and he didn't even HAVE a stole. Do you think the stole would make the confession valid or not?[/quote]

I have been told before that a priest doesn't have to wear a stole to hear a Confession. However, I am not sure if this is true or not.

Deus te Amat

One of my priests is from Kenya, and he has multiple stoles of all sorts of colors and designs given to him by friends and relatives back home. As the others already said, the color shouldn't make a difference, for there is probably a perfectly logical explanation behind it.

lilac_angel

[quote name='whatsup' post='1914771' date='Jul 8 2009, 06:42 PM']I've seen two very coulorful stoles

One was a spanish one and the other was polish. I wouldn't judge the priest...it was probably a presant.[/quote]

True, it could have been one with a certain national type theme. Someone else said they saw a colorful southwestern themed one and they themselves were unsure about it, but that it was nothing against Canon law, of course.

lilac_angel

[quote name='Sacre Couer VHM' post='1914763' date='Jul 8 2009, 07:36 PM']I really wouldn't worry about the color of the stoles. I once had a priest this last Lent who wore a Dr. Seuss stole. I personally wouldn't have worn it, even though I am a Dr. Seuss fan, but it didn't make the Confession any less valid. He could have worn no stole and it still would be valid. The only thing you really should worry about is if he didn't follow the rubrics of the Sacrament (omitted parts of the Absolution) or if he wasn't allowed to perform Confession. From what you described, he is in line with the Church teaching.

I personally prefer to have private Confession, but during Lenten Penance or Advent Penance services (or anything similar), Churches simply don't have the private space for all the priests volunteering. Chapels usually don't have Confession boxes from what I've seen.

Hope this helps![/quote]

Dr. Seuss!! haha! That made me feel better. :) I definitely prefer private confessions too but was getting desperate at that point.

Thanks for the help. You and everyone!

homeschoolmom

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1914778' date='Jul 8 2009, 07:45 PM']Thank you. No, I just wasn't sure about rainbow because you know what that's typically associated with; if he was trying to advertise or symbolize something with it on purpose that was against Church teaching.

But yes, everything else seemed kosher.[/quote]

I wouldn't assume that the "rainbowness" of the stole indicated anything. But, for the sake of argument, let's say that it does. Even then it would not effect the validity of your confession/absolution with the details you have given us here. :) God is good.

lilac_angel

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1914807' date='Jul 8 2009, 08:05 PM']I wouldn't assume that the "rainbowness" of the stole indicated anything. But, for the sake of argument, let's say that it does. Even then it would not effect the validity of your confession/absolution with the details you have given us here. :) God is good.[/quote]

Yay! Praise be to God!!! :)

Nihil Obstat: Hahaha :lol:

Edited by lilac_angel

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1914787' date='Jul 8 2009, 07:48 PM']True, it could have been one with a certain national type theme. Someone else said they saw a colorful southwestern themed one and they themselves were unsure about it, but that it was nothing against Canon law, of course.[/quote]

It's not normal or a good idea, but it sounds like your confession was valid. No worries!
I don't know how to find out the exact rules, but I am pretty sure stoles for confession are usually violet and the only other colors that are acceptable for stoles and liturgical garments are green, black, white, gold and red, sometimes rose, but never more than one main color.

CatherineM

I made a whole bunch of rainbow stoles once. I had one order, thought it was strange and made it anyway. Thought maybe it was for a sunrise service or something. Then I got about half a dozen other orders. Silly me, I didn't know what that meant. When I finally found out they were going to ministers at a gay denomination, I felt so stupid.