An Old School Catholic Message Board

Insurance...

rachael

I can't find the topic, but we were talking about insurance the other day. People were arguing for and against changing the system. I, [i]personally[/i], am for some kind of change in the system. I just thought about how much this parallels my life.

Since I am ending schooling officially within the next two weeks, my insurance will also end with it. Well, we have been searching for temporary insurance to cover me while I look for a job (which has not been easy either). I have been getting turning down left and right from insurance companies left and right for reason like... "You need to go seizure free for a year" or "We do not accept people with [i]those[/i] types of seizures." Um, right. :rolleyes: We've looked at many companies, but many are so outrageously overpriced that with monthly insurance + copay on my meds, it would be practically the same as going without insurance.

I really wish something would be done with our insurance system. This is ridiculous.

Archaeology cat

Move here. :mellow: I agree that something needs to be done. With my sister, it was endometriosis that kept her from getting insurance, and the company that would insure her charged really high monthly rates. It's ridiculous.

Archaeology cat

You could start a cat ranch or cat circus here. There are at least 6 cats outside at any given moment, it seems. :kitten:

CatherineM

I know people on disability who would like to go back to work but can't because they would loose Medicare, and would never get any other kind of insurance. About the only way for them to get insurance is to marry a soldier.

State jobs are another way to get around the pre-existing. They will sometimes cover you after 3-6 months. Have you thought about grad school? That way you could go on the student insurance.

I was in the same boat as you--not being able to get insurance-wise.

Having a pre-existing condition smells of elderberries.

I have crappy student insurance, and can't get on other insurance b/c I am pregnant. HIPAA only covers group insurance through work, so individuals can be refused b/c of pregnancy.

Thy Geekdom Come

I can understand. Jen and I pay $620/month for our employer's insurance. Fortunately, they gave us raises to help cover the cost, but still...

Rachel, I know they'll be a little higher, but have you checked into the health insurance that your local diocese uses? Sometimes they are more lenient than others.

CatherineM

It would be nice if the Knight's of Columbus insurance would step into this void for Catholics. They wouldn't insure my husband because of his schizophrenia. Big part of the reason he has been nuts about trying to pay off the mortgage early. He was afraid of leaving me in a foreign country homeless.

Lilllabettt

I struggled terribly to get insurance before that 60 day limit expired and my disease became a pre-existing condition. I failed.

It was horribly stressful. But I found this out:

Hospitals have to treat a certain percentage of patients for free in order to maintain their non-profit tax-exempt status. Most hospitals treat uninsured patients with an income under 200% of the federal poverty level for free.

In my case, God has really looked after me. I live right here by the Cleveland Clinic. When I was well, I saw a gastro doctor there for routine appointments and lab tests. When I was sick, I was hospitalized, when I needed surgery, I got surgery.

All of my doctors were in the top 10 in their field, nation-wide. None of them cared that I was uninsured, because they are all salaried employees of the Clinic foundation ... in other words, they don't have to wrestle their living from insurance companies. I received this world-class medical care 100% for free.

I was lucky in that I was poor enough to qualify. What about middle class families? What would become of them in that situation? I don't know ... its scary.

I am so grateful for what I received though. I consider it a miracle.

CatherineM

My roommate had insurance, but she couldn't afford one particular medicine that wasn't on the formulary. She filled out a form with the pharmaceutical company, and they sent the meds to her for free. That's worth looking in to. I imagine your meds are your biggest concern right now.

Lilllabettt

Yes, I did that pill program, too. It really is helpful. You can see the online database [url="http://www.rxassist.org/"]here[/url] If the drug you need isn't anywhere on the program list, call the drug company and see if they can do something for you.

Many of these companies are trying hard to prevent a "revolution," if you know what I mean.

Edited by Lilllabettt

Norseman82

Another thing to look at: does your state have a CHIP program? That is a special program for those who are turned down by private insurance companies because their "risk" is considered higher. The premiums are not cheap, however.

In some states, medicare is offered to people under age 65 if they have a disabiity. Again, the premiums (at least for private medicare supplemental insurance in such instances) are not cheap and are comparable to rates for age 80 and up.

Also, would you also be covered under one of your parents' employers' plans? Sometimes the plan may not expire for a covered student immediately after graduation. (I know that is a tricky situation considering what else you have posted).

Also, is your medication something that Wal-Mart offers for $4.00?

Edited by Norseman82