An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Hate Cat Urine

CatherineM

The Matron of Honor at my wedding asked me to hem some curtains for her. They had moved to a new house, and her old curtains were too long. They didn't even require a blind hem, so no big deal.

Then I opened the sack up. I was overwhelmed with the smell of cat urine. She hadn't washed them. Not that washing them actually helped. If I'd had more time, I could have put them in an air tight container with some baking soda or charcoal or something. The smell got into everything, even the cover on my ironing board. I had to take a shower, and wash my hands about three times to get the smell out. I had to take sanitizer to my sewing machine.

I guess I'll never turn into one of those old cat women. I guess she couldn't smell them anymore.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1916871' date='Jul 10 2009, 06:02 PM']The Matron of Honor at my wedding asked me to hem some curtains for her. They had moved to a new house, and her old curtains were too long. They didn't even require a blind hem, so no big deal.

Then I opened the sack up. I was overwhelmed with the smell of cat urine. She hadn't washed them. Not that washing them actually helped. If I'd had more time, I could have put them in an air tight container with some baking soda or charcoal or something. The smell got into everything, even the cover on my ironing board. I had to take a shower, and wash my hands about three times to get the smell out. I had to take sanitizer to my sewing machine.

I guess I'll never turn into one of those old cat women. I guess she couldn't smell them anymore.[/quote]
Oh ick. Cat urine is potent....

Fidei Defensor

I had a similar problem, but mine involved my cat going on my bed. Needless to say, she's not allowed in my room anymore.

If it wasn't for my cat's cuteness, she would SO not be a house cat right now. But we'd rather not let the dogs get to her. Couches, beds, bags, floors, you name it, she's gotten to it.

There's one of those energy drinks, I think Red Bull, but I can't remember for sure that contains an enzyme that is only found in cat urine. :mellow:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Ah.... los gatos... My eldest cat (shes 17/18) has been ill recently and has peed on me the past two nights while I slept. It was not fun waking up and being soaked through. I hope tonight is a better night.
Cat urine sure can stank though. If it sits too long, it will smell to high heaven. We have some awesome stuff that cuts through cat urine enzymes so they don't stink anymore. It's great stuff and a God send because certain other cats like to pee right outside the litter pan. I just love them too much to get rid of them. I'm kinda the opposite of CatherineM; I'm already a crazy cat lady and I'm only 23.
:kitten:

heavenseeker

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1916871' date='Jul 10 2009, 06:02 PM']The Matron of Honor at my wedding asked me to hem some curtains for her. They had moved to a new house, and her old curtains were too long. They didn't even require a blind hem, so no big deal.

I guess I'll never turn into one of those old cat women. I guess she couldn't smell them anymore.[/quote]
i am so sorry for you. thats just not right.

The people who owned our first house before us owned a dog. Of course, we did not realize the smell until we moved in! YUCK! To make matters worse I got pregnant right away (I was glad I got pregnant it was just everything smells worse) and the smell was sicking then. We painted and got new carpeting. Lesson learned.

Ugh. My husband's dogs are not always the cleanest. I would like them to live outside ... but they are indoor animals, apparently. :rolleyes: Anyway, in our new place we are putting in a separate ventilation system and a special coating on the floor to make it easy to clean. Hopefully that will help. They will not be in the main part of the house.

Gregoriana of Nyssa

We used to have a cat that, after staying at a pet boarder's for a few days, began peeing on the floor all the time. Oh, the elaborate things we did in desperation to get her to stop....I tried and tried and tried and tried and could not get that smell out of the carpet! I used enzymes, pet sprays, pet carpet deodorizers, and still nothing worked. When we moved out (which was after the cat finally passed on) we used a steam cleaner. It seems like we used one once before that didn't work. But this time it must have worked, because we got our security deposit back....Though that carpet was stained pretty badly (by children) before we even moved in, so I hope they replaced it anyway.

princessgianna

[quote name='picchick' post='1916893' date='Jul 10 2009, 05:35 PM']...another reason I do not like cats.[/quote]
yea I am going to add this to my list of reasons too!

[quote name='Angel*Star' post='1917147' date='Jul 10 2009, 11:38 PM']The people who owned our first house before us owned a dog. Of course, we did not realize the smell until we moved in! YUCK! To make matters worse I got pregnant right away (I was glad I got pregnant it was just everything smells worse) and the smell was sicking then. We painted and got new carpeting. Lesson learned.[/quote]

I was the same way when pregnant. Every smell was magnified. I couldn't be in the same room with someone eating bacon. I almost made a scene at the food court at the mall with a man eating a bacon coagulated milk burger. I've been on a new medicine for about 6 weeks, and two side affects were that it made me a little nauseous in the morning, and my sense of smell has quadrupled. Scared my husband half to death that I might be pregnant again. Having a heightened sense of smell didn't help any while sewing those curtains. When her husband came to pick them up he said he was going to have them dry cleaned before taking them home. I wanted to throttle him, and ask why he didn't do that before bringing them over. I now know why my mom insisted on only sewing things that had been washed first.

Gregoriana of Nyssa

I hear ya about pregnancy and smell. Before we moved halfway through my pregnancy, I couldn't go into one bathroom without getting sick, the computer and the newspaper smelled funky, and in our new place, I kept thinking we had a gas leak in the basement. :P

My husband, God bless him, wanted me to take a pregnancy test last night. I could smell someone smoking, and it turns out it was someone outside on their patio on the other side of the building. He just couldn't believe my new medicine was causing it and a few other strange symptoms.