An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hogan's Heros

princessgianna

homeschoolmom

Catherine-- I thought you would find this interesting:

[quote]The actors who played the four major German roles—Werner Klemperer (Klink), John Banner (Schultz), Leon Askin (Burkhalter) and Howard Caine (Hochstetter)--were Jewish. Furthermore, Klemperer, Banner, Askin and Robert Clary (LeBeau) were Jews who had fled the Nazis during World War II. Clary says in the recorded commentary on the DVD version of episode "Art for Hogan's Sake" that he spent three years in a concentration camp, that his parents and other family members were killed there, and that he has an identity tattoo from the camp on his arm. Likewise John Banner had been held in a (pre-war) concentration camp and his family was exterminated during the war. Leon Askin was also in a pre-war French internment camp and his parents were killed at Treblinka. Howard Caine (Hochstetter), who was also Jewish (his birth name was Cohen), was American, and Jewish actors Harold Gould and Harold J. Stone played German generals.

As a teenager, Werner Klemperer (Klink) (son of the great conductor Otto Klemperer) fled Hitler's Germany with his family in 1933. During the show's production, he insisted that Hogan always win over his Nazi captors. He defended his playing a Luftwaffe Officer by claiming, "I am an actor. If I can play Richard III, I can play a Nazi." Banner attempted to sum up the paradox of his role by saying, "Who can play Nazis better than us Jews?" Ironically, although Klemperer, Banner, Caine, Gould and Askin play typecast World War II German types, all had actually served in the US Armed Forces during World War II—Banner[15] and Askin in the US Army Air Corps, Caine in the US Navy, Gould with the US Army, and Klemperer in a US Army Entertainment Unit.[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan's_Heroes"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan's_Heroes[/url]

princessgianna

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1922027' date='Jul 16 2009, 07:36 PM']Catherine-- I thought you would find this interesting:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan's_Heroes"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan's_Heroes[/url][/quote]
Wow isn;t that something!

Agreed. I wonder if any of them had PTSD flashback episodes while filming in a prison camp setting?

princessgianna

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1922747' date='Jul 17 2009, 12:43 PM']Agreed. I wonder if any of them had PTSD flashback episodes while filming in a prison camp setting?[/quote]
:idontknow: Actaully I also wonder if filming help them deal with it.

[quote name='Selah' post='1922858' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:46 PM']My dad loves this show :P[/quote]
Your dad has good taste. :)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Excelsior1027' post='1923107' date='Jul 17 2009, 10:00 PM']I prefer M*A*S*H.[/quote]
They're totally different shows. Their only similarity is that they are both set during war. Other than that, not so much. Like comparing Scrubs and House because they're both set in a hospital.

My Dad was in the South Pacific. He used to look at "McHale's Navy" and say "well that's the way it wasn't!" I think ditto for Hogan's Heroes though I liked it too.
Yes it's interesting that the parts of Sgt. Schultz and Colonel Klink were both played by Jewish actors. Ironically, they both had lost relatives in the camps too. Werner Klemperer (who played Klink) would only take the job if Klink was made out to be completely stupid. His father was the great conductor Otto Klemperer. Werner K. also played a Nazi judge in "Judgment at Nuremberg".

S.