An Old School Catholic Message Board

Swearing Can Make You Feel Better, Lessen Pain

rachael

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='rachael' post='1918766' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:40 AM']I cuss in German. :unsure:[/quote]
If it's particularly bad, Spanish finds its way into the shouting.

Marie-Therese

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1918717' date='Jul 13 2009, 11:57 AM']So that's why I cuss so much. I just thought it was because I was raised around soldiers.[/quote]

I was raised around sailors. LOL Sort of like what VoT said, one of my English teachers in high school years ago made the comment that swear words were like filler when you couldn't think of something better to say. I still remember that. And of course my comment wasn't to mean that people who swear are dirty people. :unsure: If so, dirty as charged. But swearing does have a history of being associated with those of lower class membership. I hope I did not offend... :sadder: I was trying to make a historical argument.

[quote name='rachael' post='1918766' date='Jul 13 2009, 12:40 PM']I cuss in German. :unsure:[/quote]

Funny story. My mom, when in high school, only knew one German swear word, sheiskopf (I will not define for those non-German speakers). She had a substitute teacher one day who was a total lunatic, and cut out eye holes in his newspaper to watch the class while he read. She muttered the above word under her breath and promptly received a barrage of incendiary German right back at her. Lesson: when swearing in a non-native tongue, make sure the recipient doesn't speak that language. LOL

Edited by Marie-Therese

[quote name='picchick' post='1918731' date='Jul 13 2009, 01:14 PM']I say "Come now"[/quote]

I like to say :bart: (Bart Simpson!)

For real.

I don't feel guilty about that one.

Edited by Paddington

[quote name='Paddington' post='1918775' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:50 AM']I wanna quit cussing for good. But, I've said that before so...:unsure:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
my cussing has really lessened since i started confessing every time i used a cuss word.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='rachael' post='1918631' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:19 AM'][url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090713/lf_nm_life/us_swearing"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090713/lf_nm_life/us_swearing[/url]

Stephens said it was not clear how or why this link existed but it could be because swearing may increase aggression.[/quote]

I know why. Because if you're more aggressive chances are you'll end up in more pain. :mellow:

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1918663' date='Jul 13 2009, 11:43 AM']That's very similar from the phrase I used to hear from my dad. :hehehe:

I just use the old standards.[/quote]

I use both. :unsure:

[quote name='kujo' post='1918670' date='Jul 13 2009, 11:52 AM']I've always wondered why cussing is considered a sin. They're just words. I mean, I don't see that problem if you use them to emphasize what you're saying, and not vulgarly or in a crude manner.[/quote]

In Theology 101 my professor made a distinction between swearing, vulgarities, and cursing.

Cursing ("da[i][/i]mn it to hell" for example) is always considered a sin.

Swearing is taking an oath, like in court, swearing to tell the truth.

Vulgarities are not a sin in and of themselves but could be a sin if they cause scandal. At best they are crude but not sinful.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1918783' date='Jul 13 2009, 12:59 PM']In Theology 101 my professor made a distinction between swearing, vulgarities, and cursing.

Vulgarities are not a sin in and of themselves but could be a sin if they cause scandal. At best they are crude but not sinful.[/quote]

Interesting.

Today, people use them all to mean the same thing. I like the distinction.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1918783' date='Jul 13 2009, 12:59 PM']In Theology 101 my professor made a distinction between swearing, vulgarities, and cursing.

Vulgarities are not a sin in and of themselves but could be a sin if they cause scandal. At best they are crude but not sinful.[/quote]

Interesting.

Today, people use them all to mean the same thing. I like the distinction.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='picchick' post='1918790' date='Jul 13 2009, 02:10 PM']Interesting.

Today, people use them all to mean the same thing. I like the distinction.[/quote]

Yeah, I occasionally let a "beaver dam" slip out, but I try to make an effort to keep that one out of my vocabulary even if I end up using other crude speech. When I confess, though, I just say I used vulgarities because I doubt my priest is making the distinction my theology professor did.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1918792' date='Jul 13 2009, 01:13 PM']Yeah, I occasionally let a "beaver dam" slip out, but I try to make an effort to keep that one out of my vocabulary even if I end up using other crude speech. When I confess, though, I just say I used vulgarities because I doubt my priest is making the distinction my theology professor did.[/quote]

agreed.

I let some slip, but I don't like it. I feel like I need to set an example (which I do) to my brothers. Also, I know some nurses who use vulgarities while in the patient's room. I am afraid that if it becomes habit, I will do that too and I think it is just rude. So "come now" is just better for me.

IcePrincessKRS
:yes: And I don't want my kids to start saying any of those words, either. I've mostly stopped, except when I'm angry about something I'll let one slip out sometimes. And maybe that's not really "mostly stopped" but compared to how much I used to use vulgarities... it's a lot less.