An Old School Catholic Message Board

Swearing Can Make You Feel Better, Lessen Pain

rachael

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1918797' date='Jul 13 2009, 01:20 PM']:yes: And I don't want my kids to start saying any of those words, either. I've mostly stopped, except when I'm angry about something I'll let one slip out sometimes. And maybe that's not really "mostly stopped" but compared to how much I used to use vulgarities... it's a lot less.[/quote]

:blush: :( I had a couple month stint.

Lilllabettt

Anyone know William F. Buckly. the editor of National Review? He was in the habit of using the word "beaver dam" ... as an "exclamative, not a expletive."

For example, someone wrote him a nasty letter about his magazine, and he replied:
"Cancel your own beaver dam subscription. Cordially, WFB."

Someone else wrote him to ask how he jived saying "beaver dam" with being a devout Catholic, which he was.

And he said that 1. It wasn't blasphemy 2. It wasn't an expletive ... as he used it.

He was a lingusitic genius, so he had a pretty good explanation. I can't remember it, though. As far as I know he never said it angry, always in the context of cheerfully rbbing someone else.

I, on the other hand, am not smart to swear without swearing, so I try not to do it.

Excelsior1027

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1918783' date='Jul 13 2009, 12:59 PM']In Theology 101 my professor made a distinction between swearing, vulgarities, and cursing.

Cursing ("da[i][/i]mn it to hell" for example) is always considered a sin.

Swearing is taking an oath, like in court, swearing to tell the truth.

Vulgarities are not a sin in and of themselves but could be a sin if they cause scandal. At best they are crude but not sinful.[/quote]
While that may be true, I don't think that God calls us to be crude to our neighbor. :mellow:

Just don't swear. :idontknow: Swearing/cursing/vulgarities is a terrible witness.

Edited by Excelsior1027

Ash Wednesday

If swearing lessens pain, then I'm walking morpine. *facepalm*

Not saying I'm proud of it, but it's just a fact.

loveletslive

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1919066' date='Jul 13 2009, 07:44 PM']I want to learn to cuss in Latin.[/quote]

OH SNAP. that would be wicked awesome. *googles swearing in latin now*

[mod]Innappropriate linkage. - dUSt[/mod]

Edited by dUSt

Vincent Vega

I find a well enunciated "Dadburnit" to get the job done most of the time.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

mariahLVzJP2

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1918721' date='Jul 13 2009, 11:03 AM']When I was in middle school I had an english teacher that said, "Coss words are a weak mind trying ot make a strong statement." It stuck with me....[/quote]
true! i'll try to remember that too!

truthfinder

A classmate once said dam it, and I turned around and asked who he was sending to hell. That made him think. I think that one of the worst languages/dialects to swear in is Quebecois (French spoken in Quebec, FYI.) Most of the words are not as common in France. It curses just about everything Catholic especially the BVM. The worst one, which will just about stop any Frenchman in his tracks, even if he is an apostate, involves where Jesus resides in the church (the word is extremely close to the English equivalent, so I'm not saying anymore.)

Swearing, in my opinion, is just all-around satisfying. I don't know WHY so many people are scared of it... :topsy:

The Bus Station

I say...

Shingles

Sugar

Fffflabalaba

GOD bless America!

JESUS take the wheel

the last two probably aren't good substitutes anyway :unsure:

When tempted to say "I don't give a S^%^%", I substitute, "I don't give a riddily rodent's rump."

It gets the point accross and keeps me from saying S&&*^*& and other related words.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1919808' date='Jul 14 2009, 01:21 PM']A friend of mine shouts various vegetables when angry. Especially eggplant. :mellow:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
that's kind of weird. :hehe:

I seem to be picking up British cuss words. Between reading Harry Potter, and watching British soap operas, I guess that's to be expected.