An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Should Rexi Do?

Resurrexi

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

loveletslive

get a degree you can get a job in.

my friend graduated last year with degrees in philosophy and theology. he can't get a job.

heavenseeker

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1918701' date='Jul 13 2009, 11:43 AM']get a degree you can get a job in.[/quote]

[quote name='rachael' post='1918709' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:52 AM']what do you see yourself doing in 20 years and not hating?[/quote]

If I were to study an ecclesiastical subject, I would go all the way and get a doctorate in it. I would probably teach at a university.

[b]Epistemology. [/b]In studying epistemology from the Catholic perspective, not only will you naturally immerse yourself in a deeper understanding of theology, but you will be awarded a credential that is respected by non-Christians, thus bridging a gap, making yourself more employable, and ultimately providing yourself with the capability to present theological solutions to philosophical problems in secular atmospheres. Epistemology presents the most urgent problem for the modernist / atheistic world, and it is through solidly Catholic epistemologists that the Church may reclaim lost ground in academia and, by extension, the world's youth.

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1918701' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:43 AM']get a degree you can get a job in.

my friend graduated last year with degrees in philosophy and theology. he can't get a job.[/quote]

The only way to get a job with such degrees is by means of a PhD. In other words, the only common means of employment in philosophy or theology is as a university or college professor. And that, my friend, is not a bad gig at all. Middle-class pay with INSANE benefits and perks. But yeah, it will take you 8-10 years of education and a subsequent dedication to self-promotion via speaking engagements and publication.

Nihil Obstat

An established professor has a very good, secure job. Plus you can move and work pretty much anywhere if you know the language. Then you can take sabbaticals and write books... It's a good job. :) Plus if you want you can get summers off. Haha.

icelandic_iceskater

Moral theology ftw!

Srsly, I'd double major in one of the above + something with a better job market to fall back on.

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1919116' date='Jul 13 2009, 07:47 PM']Moral theology ftw!

Srsly, I'd double major in one of the above + something with a better job market to fall back on.[/quote]

I don't know if one can major in moral theology. I may be wrong, but I thought that most colleges only offer a general theology major.

I'm mainly talking about postgraduate education. :)

Edited by Resurrexi

icelandic_iceskater

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1919117' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:52 PM']I don't know if one can major in moral theology. I may be wrong, but I thought that most colleges only offer a general theology major.[/quote]
I did a little looking awhile back, and couldn't find any.... haven't found a college that offers a masters in moral theology, either.