An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phone Plans

picchick

Phone Plan  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good thread for me. I've been without a cell for 10 months and might be getting one tomorrow.

I always had Verizon. There were times when I was charged 'roaming' even tho I was in my basement. I told them and they didn't offer me any kind of anything.
It stopped the second time I had Verizon and I didn't worry about it.

When I quit 10 months ago, it was easy cuz I was on month-to-month. I told them that it was due to finances and they didn't pressure me in the store. However I was telemarketed by them twice in the next week or so, asking me if I want a fancy BlackBerry or whatever. Funny, cuz the phone I quit was very basic and less than 50/month. The second time, I snapped at the telemarketer, who was trying to get thru her script after I already said no.

After that, I threw away every mailing from Verizon. About 6 months later, I found out that I still owed them $5.96. Not from them, but from the collections agency. I didn't even believe the letter, so I went to the Verizon store to find out if I ever owed them anything. I shoulda opened those mailings.

So...what should I get?

I want
A. Lots of anytime
B. free nights and weekend (is this a given?)
C. cheap texts, but not needing a ton of texts
D. good reception
E. no internet
F. as close to free as possible

eagle_eye222001

I have ATT. Never had a complaint save when the contract renewed I got charged an "upgrade fee" even though neither the new phone nor the phone had anything new to it. They did take it off after I called and argued and asked them to nicely. :mellow:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/israel+kamakawiwoole/track/somewhere+over+the+rainbow"]Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Somewhere Over the Rainbow[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1918922' date='Jul 13 2009, 05:13 PM']Preach on sister! I bought my house last September (8 months into my 2 year contract) only to find out I NEVER get signal in my house with ATT. Since their service maps say I should get signal in my area I can not get out of the contract.

My job requires me to be on call every 5 weeks and that phone is verizion which gets great signal in my house so I will liley switch to Verizon when I contract is up. Is everyone pretty pleased with Verizon's customer serivce?[/quote]

It's crazy. It's been like this every place I've lived except for my mom's home in NY. Works fine [i]outside[/i], inside I'm lucky to have one or two bars of signal.

We even had this problem in Korea (and obviously the carrier wasn't ATT), though. I think we're doomed to never have phones that work inside our home. haha

[quote name='morostheos' post='1918929' date='Jul 13 2009, 05:23 PM']Icey - when you contract expires a lot of times you can continue with the same plan on a month to month basis without renewing the contract. You just have to ask about the stipulations - usually it means you can't upgrade your phone for free. Then you can cancel whenever you want with no extra fee.[/quote]

I know, we've canceled our cell phones before. Matt just thinks that a pay-as-you-go plan will be cheaper for us in the long run than our current plan is month-to-month. :) I've got almost a full year to look into it, though, so I'm not worried about it right now.

heavenseeker

[quote name='Paddington' post='1918939' date='Jul 13 2009, 04:52 PM']So...what should I get?

I want
A. Lots of anytime
B. free nights and weekend (is this a given?)
C. cheap texts, but not needing a ton of texts
D. good reception
E. no internet
F. as close to free as possible[/quote]
T-Mobile has been pretty cheap for me 400 anytime min and 400 text and 300 fave-5 min. $65-70 a month. free nights and weekends internet is optional and reception is great.

Shaw Digital phone at home. It's $85 a month for unlimited long distance in North America, and 1000 minutes a month international. For mobile, I have Telus pay as you go. It's $12.50/month, but we get the cards from Airmiles, so it doesn't actually cost us anything out of pocket.

loveletslive

right now i have net10 (company related to tracfone, but better in my opinion. i've had both) which i would highly recommend if you don't use your phone very much.

however i do too much texting so now i'm switching to at&t because i can get a 12% discount through my university.

Nihil Obstat

What do you guys think of the discount plans? Looked into those ones before? I'm talking about the zero access fee second tier type companies that are owned by larger cell companies. I don't know what you have in the US, but we have a few of those... Koodo, Solo, Fido...

I have Verizon. My parents deal with the technical stuff, so I don't really have an opinion about the service.

TracFone. Cheap, easy, no commitment. But, I hate talking on the phone, so I don't use a lot of minutes!

I have an iPhone too, but no service (just use it with wifi).

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1919173' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:38 PM']right now i have net10 (company related to tracfone, but better in my opinion. i've had both) which i would highly recommend if you don't use your phone very much.

however i do too much texting so now i'm switching to at&t because i can get a 12% discount through my university.[/quote]
People who text a lot might want to look into Peek Mobile [http://www.getpeek.com/]. For a fairly low, flat monthly rate their device does unlimited email and texts, but it's not a phone.