An Old School Catholic Message Board

Listening To Music In The Car On The Way To Mass

Proud2BCatholic139

Proud2BCatholic139

+JMJ+

Hey phamily~

Do you listen to music on the way to Mass? Do you listen to Music after Mass? If you do, what do you listen to? I am asking this because I'm not sure if it is appropriate. I'm not trying to be scrupulous, but I feel guilty after I do listen to music. It helps me to drive. If I drive in silence I will not be able to pay attention.

Thanks and God bless,

P2BC

heavenseeker

i listen to whatever is on the radio or in my cd player. whats in your car is separate from the mass. if you feel bad about what you are listening to because you are listening to it on your way to or from mass then change it to something that you are not going to feel bad about listening to. if listening to music in general is going to make you feel guilty then dont listen. in other words i think its one of those things that is based on the individual.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='heavenseeker' post='1918907' date='Jul 13 2009, 04:42 PM']i listen to whatever is on the radio or in my cd player. whats in your car is separate from the mass. if you feel bad about what you are listening to because you are listening to it on your way to or from mass then change it to something that you are not going to feel bad about listening to. if listening to music in general is going to make you feel guilty then dont listen. in other words i think its one of those things that is based on the individual.[/quote]

:yes:

If you feel like you're not getting enough time to spiritually prepare for Mass because you're listening to music in the car leave a few minutes earlier. As long as the lyrics aren't really trashy I don't really see a problem with it. I usually have music going even if I'm not listening to it, it's just nice to have a little background noise.

[quote name='Proud2BCatholic139' post='1918901' date='Jul 13 2009, 01:33 PM']+JMJ+

Hey phamily~

Do you listen to music on the way to Mass? Do you listen to Music after Mass? If you do, what do you listen to? I am asking this because I'm not sure if it is appropriate. I'm not trying to be scrupulous, but I feel guilty after I do listen to music. It helps me to drive. If I drive in silence I will not be able to pay attention.

Thanks and God bless,

P2BC[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
what kind of music? if it's nasty, raunchy stuff, i'd say that might be a problem. but if it's just stuff on the radio, or your iPod, i think you'd be fine. i myself notice that before/after Mass i'm a little more sensitive to lyrics though.

Proud2BCatholic139

Hey phamily,

Well, I feel bad because I feel as if I should mentally prepare myself for Mass to recieve the Eucharist. I feel bad afterward because I feel like I am shoving Jesus aside and not thanking Him for visiting me in Holy Communion.

It is not bad music, nor raunchy, but I do not know. It's weird.

eagle_eye222001

If I listen to music while going to Mass or coming from, I listen to Gregorian Chant via ipod.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/israel+kamakawiwoole/track/somewhere+over+the+rainbow"]Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Somewhere Over the Rainbow[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

Listen to sacred polyphony!

There are some beautiful stuff you can find... I like it especially now that the music at mass is so... :mellow:

Yesterday during the offertory there was a song about how God will love you even if you lose all of your money. :wacko:

I don't think in itself that its bad, unless you feel its detrimental to your spiritual life. Going a few minutes earlier to pray in the church and staying a little while to make a thanksgiving is always good.

Edited by zunshynn

I always have the radio on. You could try leaving early so you can pray in silence when you get there...that way you can have music on to concentrate but still prepare yourself for Mass. Win win! ;)

heavenseeker

[quote name='Proud2BCatholic139' post='1918949' date='Jul 13 2009, 05:08 PM']Hey phamily,

Well, I feel bad because I feel as if I should mentally prepare myself for Mass to recieve the Eucharist. I feel bad afterward because I feel like I am shoving Jesus aside and not thanking Him for visiting me in Holy Communion.

It is not bad music, nor raunchy, but I do not know. It's weird.[/quote]
i dont know what to say for the before except maybe get there a little earlier. i always stay after mass for a minute to say a prayer of thanks.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1918931' date='Jul 13 2009, 03:24 PM']+J.M.J.+
if it's nasty, raunchy stuff, i'd say that might be a problem. but if it's just stuff on the radio, or your iPod, i think you'd be fine.[/quote]

Many of the songs played on rap and hits stations are nasty and raunchy.

:mellow:

I listen to contemporary Christian on the way to mass. I have to listen to something. It's 3 blocks, and I need to listen to music when I walk. I stutter-step or zig zag otherwise. I use the music like cadence. I do take my headphones off before going inside.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1919012' date='Jul 13 2009, 05:04 PM']Many of the songs played on rap and hits stations are nasty and raunchy.

:mellow:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i listen to country, oldies, and 80s music.

Vincent Vega

I like to listen to Gospel (typically Black Gospel - no offense to anyone's tastes, but I can't stand the likes of Marty Haugen et al) on my way to/from mass - if I listen to "appropriate" songs (as in songs that fit what's going on, for instance, before going to confession, I like to listen to "Faithful is Our God" to remind me of God's forgiveness), I find myself more focused than actually not listening to anything.

Proud2BCatholic139

I always stay after for at least 10 minutes. Today I turned it off for at least 5 minutes. It was a good feeling.

In the mornings I always play Michael Jackson. That has always been my tradition. (No, not because he is dead.) I have the windows down, music up a little louder and I play Michael Jackson songs in the morning. It brings me in a good mood and it makes me want to dance!

But, going to Mass is the center of my day! I am seeking a balance. :-)