An Old School Catholic Message Board

Listening To Music In The Car On The Way To Mass

Proud2BCatholic139

If it's going to be stuck in your head during Mass, don't listen. Otherwise, it should be okay so long as listening to it is moral normally.

LouisvilleFan

Isn't the obvious solution to turn up some phat Catholic tunes on the way to/from Mass? :smokey:

I dig some Larry Norman "Jesus Freak" and Chris Padgett has a couple songs, "Unfinished" and "Golden," with some good lyrics for Confession and Mass, respectively.

Proud2BCatholic139

I think I realize that God what God is asking of me about this and it is a beautiful thing. :)

I think listening to music on your way to mass is neutral. What type of music/programs do we fill our minds with at any time has more of an impact on me.

Quote: "If I drive in silence I will not be able to pay attention. "

Have you spoken with your therapist about his problem?

Deus te Amat

[quote name='Luigi' post='1920480' date='Jul 15 2009, 01:43 AM']Quote: "If I drive in silence I will not be able to pay attention. "

Have you spoken with your therapist about his problem?[/quote]

What? :blink:

Who said she had a therapist? And how would her post even indicate that she had one, even if she did?

Edited by Deus_te_Amat

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1920485' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:06 AM']What? :blink:

Who said she had a therapist? And how would her post even indicate that she had one, even if she did?[/quote]

I'm implying that if one cannot concentrate on driving, without the aid of music, then one ought to have a therapist, perhaps to help one address one's ADD or some related syndrome. I'm also being facetious.

Deus te Amat

Well, for some people, music helps the mind focus on the task at hand, instead of allowing it to wander and thus get more distracted from their task. I know I like to listen to classical music while doing my homework, simply because it enables me to focus more fully, because I am a natural multitasker, but my best essays are not written when half of my brain is thinking about math (my major) rather than Aristotle. The music helps me to focus simply on Aristotle.

Just because someone has a brain used to doing more than one task at a time doesn't indicate that they have ADD or need a therapist. :idontknow:

And I do realize that you were being partially facetious, but I didn't quite follow your logic, even in jest.

Edited by Deus_te_Amat

[quote name='Luigi' post='1920486' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:12 AM']I'm implying that if one cannot concentrate on driving, without the aid of music, then one ought to have a therapist, perhaps to help one address one's ADD or some related syndrome. I'm also being facetious.[/quote]

I have the same problem. If I listen to the music, I can absentmindedly listen and sing to the music and give my attention to the road. If I don't have music going, then my subconscious leads my conscious someplace else.

Deus te Amat

[quote name='mcts' post='1920489' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:16 AM']I have the same problem. If I listen to the music, I can absentmindedly listen and sing to the music and give my attention to the road. If I don't have music going, then my subconscious leads my conscious someplace else.[/quote]

But that doesn't mean you have ADD or some other "related syndrome". Does it?

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1920490' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:17 AM']But that doesn't mean you have ADD or some other "related syndrome". Does it?[/quote]

I don't believe so. It just so happens that I have ADD, but my mom doesn't and she has the same problem (she has to listen to music).

Proud2BCatholic139

I have a therapist?

No, seriously, I day dream in silence and I can not pay attention. I ran a red light once in downtown Tampa because I was having a daydream. It's really weird! So, I need to have music on the pay attention! I usually make a fool out of myself as I have the windows down and I sing and I dance in the car. :)

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Proud2BCatholic139' post='1920825' date='Jul 15 2009, 06:20 PM']I have a therapist?

No, seriously, I day dream in silence and I can not pay attention. I ran a red light once in downtown Tampa because I was having a daydream. It's really weird! So, I need to have music on the pay attention! I usually make a fool out of myself as I have the windows down and I sing and I dance in the car. :)[/quote]

I keep my windows up and AC on so that people think I'm listening to something really cool and want to know what it is. :hehe: Little do they know I've often got "Pocketful of Sunshine" or "Walk Outside" (by Dan Crow, from the movie "Milo and Otis") on repeat for my kids. haha

Proud2BCatholic139

[quote name='Luigi' post='1920486' date='Jul 15 2009, 01:12 AM']I'm implying that if one cannot concentrate on driving, without the aid of music, then one ought to have a therapist, perhaps to help one address one's ADD or some related syndrome. I'm also being facetious.[/quote]

That's the problem with society today...

They automatically assume one as ADD.

No, I do not.

I day dream while I drive. If I have music on then I won't day dream and I am able to pay attention while I drive. Some people can't because then they will crash. Having the radio on while driving doesn't mean you have ADD. :)