An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Ef

Resurrexi

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Almost never would make me sound as if I would like to go, but don't have the opportunity. There are several EF masses here. I have no desire to attend.

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1919513' date='Jul 14 2009, 09:38 AM']Sigh, it's been two years since I've been to the EF and that was when I visted the Benedictine Sisters of Mary Queen of Apostles for a week- one of the few traditional communities that is in union with Rome.[/quote]

Is Father Chris Henderson still the chaplain there?

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1919691' date='Jul 14 2009, 12:47 PM']I have no desire to attend.[/quote]

Why don't you have a desire to attend?

Noel's angel

Never been. I wouldn't get excited if there was one near me either. Mass is Mass. God isn't going to judge me on how many times I attended Mass in the EF.

+J.M.J.+
i've been once. it was nice :) but i was just happy to go to a Mass where half of it wasn't ad-libbed.

I have no real interest in attending the indult mass, but that is only because I am theologically and spiritually attached to the Byzantine liturgy.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1919762' date='Jul 14 2009, 01:54 PM']I have no real interest in attending the indult mass, but that is only because I am theologically and spiritually attached to the Byzantine liturgy.[/quote]

What do you mean by [i]indult Mass[/i]?

There is no "indult" to use the 1962 Missal.

Any priest of the Latin Church can celebrate the extraordinary form of the Mass with no special permission.

Edited by Resurrexi

tinytherese

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1919700' date='Jul 14 2009, 01:51 PM']Is Father Chris Henderson still the chaplain there?[/quote]

I'm not sure. :scratchhead:

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1919701' date='Jul 14 2009, 12:52 PM']Why don't you have a desire to attend?[/quote]

I like going where I understand what is being said, prayed and sung. I like going where people off the street who've never been to mass can also understand what is going on. I like going where everyone can participate easily instead of all the responses being said by just a few.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1919794' date='Jul 14 2009, 02:12 PM']I like going where I understand what is being said, prayed and sung. I like going where people off the street who've never been to mass can also understand what is going on. I like going where everyone can participate easily instead of all the responses being said by just a few.[/quote]

If one uses a hand-missal, he can understand what is being said and chanted just as well as if it were in his native tongue.

Even if one does not follow along using a hand-missal, he can better see that the Church teaches that the substance of the bread is converted into the substance of Christ's body at the consecration and that the Mass is a sacrifice when Communion is distributed only on the tongue and when Mass is celebrated[i] ad orientem[/i].

Anyone is free to say or chant the responses with the servers or choir.

Even if one is not participating by singing or saying the responses, one can participate just as fully (or even more so) internally.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1920012' date='Jul 14 2009, 05:24 PM']If one uses a hand-missal, he can understand what is being said and chanted just as well as if it were in his native tongue.

Even if one does not follow along using a hand-missal, he can better see that the Church teaches that the substance of the bread is converted into the substance of Christ's body at the consecration and that the Mass is a sacrifice when Communion is distributed only on the tongue and when Mass is celebrated[i] ad orientem[/i].

Anyone is free to say or chant the responses with the servers or choir.

Even if one is not participating by singing or saying the responses, one can participate just as fully (or even more so) internally.[/quote]

I know that you believe that, but that has not been my experience.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1919771' date='Jul 14 2009, 01:01 PM']What do you mean by [i]indult Mass[/i]?

There is no "indult" to use the 1962 Missal.

Any priest of the Latin Church can celebrate the extraordinary form of the Mass with no special permission.[/quote]
Yes, that is what is said today, but that wasn't what was said when I became Catholic in 1988.

The fact that the present pope is allowing the use of the older missal today does not mean that his successor will, and should the next pope rescind the permission, you -- as a member of the Roman patriarchate -- will have no recourse.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1920039' date='Jul 14 2009, 05:48 PM']The fact that the present pope is allowing the use of the older missal today does not mean that his successor will, and should the next pope rescind the permission, you -- as a member of the Roman patriarchate -- will have no recourse.[/quote]

The next pope could just as easily abrogate the newer form of the Mass (which I hope he will do) as he could the 1962 Missal.

If the EF were to be abrogated, I would become an Eastern Catholic as soon as possible.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1920037' date='Jul 14 2009, 05:46 PM']I know that you believe that, but that has not been my experience.[/quote]

What is this experience of which you speak? I thought you said that you hadn't heard an EF Mass for years?