An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ann Coulter

iheartjp2

Ann Coulter  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lilllabettt

[quote name='iheartjp2' post='1922801' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:51 PM']In my opinion, yes. This is just like any other discussion I've had with someone about Ann Coulter that revolved around whether or not her points had any merit. They disagree with her rhetoric but constantly attack her style of delivery. Can people at least be honest about that?

Also, why bring the Klan into this?[/quote]

The Klan is an extreme example I used to demonstrate that free speech does not mean good speech. American's default setting is to associate freedom = good. But that isn't necessarily the case. You said that what some people call "hate" other people call "free speech." Well, so what. I think Hassan would agree with you, it is free speech. That doesn't mean it's good or bad or right or wrong, just because she has a right to say it.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1922813' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:00 PM']The Klan is an extreme example I used to demonstrate that free speech does not mean good speech. American's default setting is to associate freedom = good. But that isn't necessarily the case. You said that what some people call "hate" other people call "free speech." Well, so what. I think Hassan would agree with you, it is free speech. That doesn't mean it's good or bad or right or wrong, just because she has a right to say it.[/quote]

Understood. Free speech doesn't always mean good speech. That's why when a Hollywood celebrity gives their commentary on domestic and foreign policy, I usually tune them out. I just happen to think that her speech has intellectual merit. Hassan and others disagree. That's fine. I just get annoyed when people say things like "She only says the things she does for the purpose of selling books" or "She only sells books because she's always donning some little black dress". I'd like to point out that her ensemble on the cover of "Treason" covers just about everything, no provocation there.

Lilllabettt

[quote name='iheartjp2' post='1922865' date='Jul 17 2009, 04:55 PM']Understood. Free speech doesn't always mean good speech. That's why when a Hollywood celebrity gives their commentary on domestic and foreign policy, I usually tune them out. I just happen to think that her speech has intellectual merit. Hassan and others disagree. That's fine. I just get annoyed when people say things like "She only says the things she does for the purpose of selling books" or "She only sells books because she's always donning some little black dress". I'd like to point out that her ensemble on the cover of "Treason" covers just about everything, no provocation there.[/quote]

Okay. I personally have never used the phrase 'Rush Limbaugh in a mini skirt," to summarize Ms. Coulter's identity ... in fact I think it was yourself who used that phrase in this thread. In any case, I imagine there is some reason she has earned the second part of that description.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1922873' date='Jul 17 2009, 04:02 PM']Okay. I personally have never used the phrase 'Rush Limbaugh in a mini skirt," to summarize Ms. Coulter's identity ... in fact I think it was yourself who used that phrase in this thread. In any case, I imagine there is some reason she has earned the second part of that description.[/quote]

Point recognized. I actually saw a reference to that on her Wikipedia article. The article itself referenced someone else calling her that. Personally, I've never even seen her wearing a mini skirt. She usually wears a dress of some kind. Whatever the case, it was her liberal critics who pointed out her habitual attire. Conservatives who like her generally don't care what she wears, they like her material. The only comments I've seen (and made) on her appearance is that she's hot, and for someone pushing 50, it goes a long way.

[quote name='iheartjp2' post='1922879' date='Jul 17 2009, 04:08 PM']The only comments I've seen (and made) on her appearance is that she's hot...[/quote]

Oh, I forgot. I was having a discussion with a friend of mine and he said she was too skinny. :/

[quote name='iheartjp2' post='1922775' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:12 PM']The whole "hate" argument doesn't work on me. What people like you consider to be "hate", the rest of the U.S. considers free speech. By the way, have you [i]read[/i] one of her books?[/quote]

I don't what "people" I am like but I never said it was not free speech. And it certainly is protected political speech. That doesn't mean it's not base demagoguery and intellectually vacuous.

I have never read one of her books front to cover. I have read some piecemeal, have watched her on television quite a bit and and listened to her in extended radio interviews.

[quote name='iheartjp2' post='1922882' date='Jul 17 2009, 04:12 PM']Oh, I forgot. I was having a discussion with a friend of mine and he said she was too skinny. :/[/quote]

Yeah. Skinny and kind of flabby, not an attractive combination. Unlike Michael Malkin, who even I must admit is pretty attractive.

LouisvilleFan

The results of this poll show conclusively that there is indeed common ground between conservatives and liberals.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1922927' date='Jul 17 2009, 05:07 PM']The results of this poll show conclusively that there is indeed common ground between conservatives and liberals.[/quote]

How so? Because there are more people on this forum who can't stand her than who love her? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1922265' date='Jul 17 2009, 01:05 AM']The conservative message can be powerful and persuasive while being genuinely thoughtful and clever. See: William F. Buckley. He has no heir, that I can see.[/quote]

Prof. Robert George, Princeton University

Edited by Didymus

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1922754' date='Jul 17 2009, 01:50 PM']didnt Ann Coulter get punched in the face somewhat recently?
i found that hilarious.[/quote]

[quote name='Hassan' post='1922757' date='Jul 17 2009, 01:52 PM']If that's true then perhaps I'm wrong and the world is just and good :mellow:[/quote]

I find it upsetting that we would be glad and find it hilarious when someone gets hurt.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1922887' date='Jul 17 2009, 04:16 PM']Yeah. Skinny and kind of flabby, not an attractive combination. Unlike Michael Malkin, who even I must admit is pretty attractive.[/quote]

Women are more than pretty faces. I'll admit we must be careful how we (as women) dress to be taken seriously. But to judge her on her looks is just plain wrong.