An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Lonely

missionseeker

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1924354' date='Jul 18 2009, 11:57 PM']すみません。[/quote]

Illud non intellego.

I shall tell you a story then. We had a graduation party the week before we were to graduate. The Forestry department had an arboretum where we attempted to keep trees alive that were never meant to grow in Oklahoma. Sickest, weakest redwood tree you would ever hope to see, but at least we could see what one looked like up close without a 3 hour plane ride. We mostly used the arboretum for the Forestry Club stuff, like practicing for lumberjack competitions against other Universities, and beer parties. The graduation party involved several kegs, and a game of jungle rules volleyball. That's where you can go under the net and tackle someone before they return volleys. While intoxicated, you can imagine the carnage. My roommate come under and tackled me so hard while I was trying to spike, that she separated my shoulder. I got taken to the school infirmary by a non-forester friend who had no desire to stay until the bitter end.

My roommate stayed, all night. Since she was to be married the day after graduation to a forester who had graduated the semester before, the idea of staying out all night with a bunch of drunk foresters, several of whom where her former boyfriends, was not deemed to be acceptable behavior by her parents who showed up bright and early Sunday morning to take her to church. They had both been Methodist missionaries before they married in their 40's and had her. They never liked the idea of her rooming with a Catholic.

So here I am trying to entertain her parents, without really explaining to them where their daughter was, and why I was now in a sling. About an hour later she was driven home, and fell out of the car onto the sidewalk. Her mom was a very strict, domineering type woman. She once came and rearranged our dorm furniture while we were in class. She tried to pretend that nothing was wrong, and put her in the back seat of their car to take her to lunch since they had now missed going to church. My roommate promptly threw up all over the back of their car. Instead of stopping to do something about it, they again pretended like nothing had happened, and drove on. All in all, it was an interesting weekend.

What happens when you type "I am lonely" into Google?

[url="http://lounge.moviecodec.com/topics/2420p1.html"]i am lonely will anyone speak to me

please will anyone speak to about anything to me[/url]

This phenomenon was later noticed and written up in the New Yorker and [url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2005/aug/30/g2.onlinesupplement"]elsewhere[/url].

Edited by Maggie

so confusing
my *real* sister is also a catherineM

Edited by Christie_M

missionseeker

oops, sorry. :blush:

But really, that whole pretending it doesn't exist seems like a very ... southern? mindset. I am toooo familiar with that one. :lol: (not me, usually.)

Yeah, it's a Southern woman thing. That and whispering unpleasant things. Be talking about someone, and then if you wanted to say they had cancer or were off the wagon, you had to whisper that part. Don't know if that was to keep it from being contagious, or if it was the old, "if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all" thing.