An Old School Catholic Message Board

Intercessors Of The Lamb

Deus te Amat

melporcristo

JMJT

I've heard very good things about them!
Yes, they are a more Charasmatic order, but they are beautiful and can definitely attract those who are interested in the movement. I have close friends associated with them & I love how they play their own instruments for the Lord for retreats.

[quote name='MandyKhatoon' post='1930411' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:59 PM']My cousin is an Intercessor of the Lamb :) I would recommend going on one of their retreats. They are very holy Sisters (and Brothers, too) and I love their charism! BUT! On the other hand.. I'm not too crazy about the color of the habits, even though it does have a beautiful meaning. :P[/quote]

really? may we know who she or he is?

• 1 year later...
sistersintigo

Updating an older thread with some momentous news. Note: Nadine Brown did what she was told to do, Under Obedience.

[url="http://www.catholic.org/hf/faith/story.php?id=38619"]Ordered to Resign[/url]

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1286728124' post='2178935']
Updating an older thread with some momentous news. Note: Nadine Brown did what she was told to do, Under Obedience.

[url="http://www.catholic.org/hf/faith/story.php?id=38619"]Ordered to Resign[/url]
[/quote]

I have no idea of the details of this particular situation and community (although I do like the teal ...)

But it is a common pattern that someone is really gifted to establish something new, but doesn't necessarily have the gifts and/or skill sets to lead it once it is more established and is moving towards a new level of maturity and growth. Those gifts and skills very often don't go together.

So it could well be that Mother Nadine was just the person to be chosen by God to establish a vision of this community, but someone else might be the one to shepherd it now that it's more established.

So, I'm involved with another organization (not a religious order) where the last director was a powerful visionary and communicator, but when he left the nuts and bolts of things were a mess. So when the Board was looking for the next director, they needed a real nuts-and-bolts guy, which they got, and he got the logistics of things in much better shape over the next several years. And then he recently resigned, having done what he was brought in to do, because in this next stage they really need more of a visionary again, and that isn't him. He's a really really good nuts-and-bolts guy, but he's not a visionary communicator.

So it could be that this is a natural and healthy stage in the growth of this community. Although even so, even when nobody's doing anything wrong, it is often very very difficult and painful to realize "I'm not the right person for this role ..." so many of us want to be all things to all people, and well we're just not designed for that.

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1286728124' post='2178935']

[/quote]

Just read the article ... btw Mother Nadine really should be referenced with her title, or at least as Sister. She was asked to resign her position as Mother Superior -- not to leave the religious state.

I agree with Krissylou ... other communities have gone through such moments and have come out strong. Praying for the community, and that the Lord will lead the community to further growth and fidelity to the charism as inspired to the foundress.

Also there is more info on their official website:
http://www.bellwetheromaha.org/
includes press release from 10/5 and the Intercessor's news release on 10/9

(edited to add the info from website)

Edited by cmariadiaz

sistersintigo

See newer thread with the word "suppression." That does give one pause. Also, the congregation's website is down, so their link does not connect.

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1287242943' post='2179984']
See newer thread with the word "suppression."   That does give one pause.  Also, the congregation's website is down, so their link does not connect.
[/quote]

Yep,. they were shut down: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/omaha-archbishop-shuts-down-intercessors-of-the-lamb/

S.

Praying for the Intercessors... ive had some amazing retreats with them :( I agree that obedience is a sign of the presence of the Holy Spirit.

I cant assume that the must be bad then because how many times in Church history did new orders or charisms have to go through purification and the founders even through persecutions: St. Louis de Montfort, Divine Mercy and St. Faustina, Padre Pio, I think St. JOhn of the Cross and Teresa of Avila....

cmariadiaz -

I realize this will be painful, but here is a quote from the archbishop:

Consequently, the archbishop explained, it was necessary to suppress the community of hermits, who will no longer be regarded as “in consecrated life or assimilated to it in the Church.”

He specified that “no liturgical or sacramental celebrations are to occur on any property owned by the Intercessors of the Lamb, Inc., within the Archdiocese of Omaha,” that former members are released from any vows, and that they are “to set aside the habit and refrain from using the titles 'Mother,' 'Brother,' or 'Sister'.”

You can read the entire article by following this link:
[url="http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/omaha-archbishop-shuts-down-intercessors-of-the-lamb/"]http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/omaha-archbishop-shuts-down-intercessors-of-the-lamb/[/url]

In our community we say that with religious, using Sister or Mother is not a title bestowed on the person, such as something you would earn. A person "earns" the title of Doctor. A married woman is properly called "Mrs." to identify her state in life. When we are called "Sister, Brother, or Mother" though, it is not so much a title for us. It is a gift to the laity. In other words, when I take vows, calling me "Sister" is meant to be more for you than for me. YOU are getting a sister who will pray for your needs, care for you when you are ill, teach your children, etc. In taking vows, we deepen the commitment we made at baptism. It is not a sacrament, such as ordination (so yes, Father, Deacon, Msgr., etc. are properly called "Titles.")

It may comfort you to remember that those who start along the path to sainthood are no longer addressed as "Sister," "Mother," "Brother," etc. We just celebrated the feast of St. Teresa of Avila - not St. Sister Teresa. It's St. Damien of Molokai, not St. Father Damien. The one exception to this is a pope. (Pope St. Leo, etc.)

I have had to set aside the habit and religious name before. It was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do, if not THE most difficult. For months afterward, I felt like I was walking around in public in my pajamas - or maybe a hospital gown - but I never felt "dressed." Ever have one of those dreams where you are in a crowd and suddenly realize you are not wearing any clothes? That's the feeling, only it's not a dream and you can't wake up. This being said, we must obey the archbishop. It will be a precious gift to offer up our own will, in obedience to lawful church authority. He is asking us to do something that may be unpleasant for us, but it is not a sin. That thought has helped me to obey many directives that I would rather not have obeyed. I pray it will also help and comfort you.

Interesting. Someone had commented on another Catholic forum (take it with a grain of salt) that men women and even perhaps children were living together in the same community, as well as w.e other issues the Archbishop found.. But seriously guys, we ought to pray for all the brothers and sisters who were faithful and had to hang up their habits. Sad sad..

In all fairness, [b]CMaria[/b] posted [i]before[/i] the bishop suppressed the order. So, [i]at the time of her post[/i], she was correct to say that the former head should be addressed as 'Sister Nadine.' Now...it would not be, since the bishop has suppressed the order.

[b]Micah[/b], it's probably best not to repeat internet rumors. There would be nothing scandalous about lay people associated with the Intercessors living with their families. (Just as a possible alternative explanation.) It's best to stick to the official announcements to avoid spreading wild rumors. The truth will come out in time.