An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Know I Make These Threads All The Time....

OraProMe

But it really pains me being this distant from the Church. When I was 14 (perhaps going on 15) I could really feel my SSA's cementing themselves and becoming stronger. The same problems most teenagers experience in puberty I guess, regardless of orientation. Anyway after Mass when everyone had left I knelt in front of Our Lady, lit a candle and poured my heart out. I think it was something to the effect of "I know I'm going to leave the Church. I just do. But please, Mary, don't abandon me. Make sure I come back one day". So I kind of made a promise with Our Lady. She didn't talk back, I was young and desperate so I expected a sign I guess. I had tears in my eyes by the end of it.

Well one of the reasons I've never completely abandoned the Church is because of this promise. I mean, I'm surrounded by people who think my SSA is fine, I think it's fine, I've had boyfriends, a social life etc. I've indulged in everything about the secular world that usually makes teenagers indifferent (at best) to the faith and yet here I am on phatmass, writing emotional whingey garbage like this. So one of the biggest proofs of the Church for me has always been my continued fascination with catholicism when logically I should just be another statistic in the generation of poorly catechized, lost Catholics. Almost like Our Lady is keeping her promise.

Anyway, I don't think I could go through life happy if I left stuff like this. A foot in each camp, so to speak. I'm thinking I might spend the rest of this year living like a Catholic should live. Almost [i]ad experimentum[/i]. I know that doesn't sound good, "experimenting" with religion and there's really not that much rational thought behind it which is odd for me because I usually over analyze everything. I'm not going to try to reconcile my beliefs with the Church because frankly it can't be done and no matter how hard I try I can't accept what she says. But I can try to embrace chastity and frequent prayer, the same as any single Catholic should do I guess. I might even explain this to a priest and see what he says about coming back to the sacraments.

I realize this sounds like complete croutons and it's just my own stream of consciousness. I couldn't go through life as a Catholic with a big question mark hanging over my head. That's why I'm where I am. But I really don't think I could go through life as a gay man with a big question mark hanging over my head either.

Edited by OraProMe

Vincent Vega

Well, I think you've come a long way since you've gotten here, and I'm proud of you for not just throwing your hands up and taking the easy way. :)
Keep searching for the Truth.

I'm sure praying for you, Ora! If you were right here, I'd give you a hug. But Australia is far far away from Indiana :P

eagle_eye222001

I give you credit for not throwing the Church out the window. Prayers for you. :sign:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/hans+zimmer+%26+james+newton+howard/track/and+i+thought+my+jokes+were+bad+(album+version)"]Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard - And I Thought My Jokes Were Bad (Album Version)[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

tinytherese

I'll keep you in my prayers. You know there isn't a canonized saint in the Church that has specifically dealt with SSA yet. Maybe you will be the first one. You're an inspiration.

Brother Adam

Everyone is on their own journey and carries their own crosses. My journey took me into the heart of demonic heresy before I finally came out and embraced my cross. Now I am pathetically trying to work towards holiness.

Marie-Therese

Ora, I love you very much, I think you know that. Something about you has always touched me, even back in the early days of your posts where I think that to call you "confrontational" would be putting it gently. Although SSA is not a struggle I've ever dealt with, I feel like I do understand you in terms of your intellectual questionings, because my intellectual pride led me to think at one point that there was no such thing as God. I languished in the Hell of my own creation for a long time, and the life I led was a perfect reflection of that fact.

As I have aged a little bit, things have put themselves into perspective a little better, and the God who would not let me be brought me back to Him when the time was right. You had a significant advantage to me, however, in that you were brought up in the Church and had Our Lady's friendship in intimate terms. She is quite a force, isn't she? :)

I don't fear for you because I have always thought that your strong attraction to God and your longing to be with Him in Truth would not be a desire unfulfilled. I know that you have many years of struggles ahead of you, because nothing worth having comes easy. I believe in you, though. I see your passion as being as much an asset to you as it is a detriment.

You aren't whining. You are being open and vulnerable, which is a good place to be. I, on the other hand, struggle with being closed off and stoic, and believe me when I say that is a terrible and lonely place to be.

You are in my continued prayers, and I hope that some day I'm able to meet you in person so I can give you a big hug. :console: