An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Suddenly Glad I Didn't Go To Harvard

Deus te Amat

Deus te Amat

[url="http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2009/08/harvard200908"]http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/feature...8/harvard200908[/url]

:unsure:

Deus te Amat

Yes, it's a pity that all the residence halls wont be serving hot breakfasts every morning. :mellow: It would stink having to start your day with cold ham and cereal.

[quote]Could the same lethal mix of uncurbed expansion, colossal debt, arrogance, and mismanagement that ravaged Wall Street bring down America’s most famous university? And how much of the turmoil is the fault of former Harvard president Larry Summers, now a top economic adviser to President Obama?[/quote]

Isn't it ironic. :hehe:

Harvard has some goofy ways of spending money... I had a classmate who went/is there, and I remember him telling me once that if you want to do your foreign language in a really uncommon language, they'll actually go out and find someone that speaks it to teach you. Bizarre. I don't know if the student paid extra for that, but he made it sound like they did not. He had a friend that wanted to learn this indigenous African tribal language, (I can't even remember what it was... there's like 60 people in the world that speak it). So they found someone in the village to teach him... I guess they must have paid for him to get there and everything. I mean... kind of cool, I guess. But that's just wierd.

Not to mention... hmm... Planned Parenthood and all their crazy pro-death, pro-perversity speakers which probably cost a pretty penny.

the priest that says the EF masses that I go to went to Harvard. He said it seemed to be completely devoid of love at all.

[quote name='mcts' post='1928109' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:06 AM']the priest that says the EF masses that I go to went to Harvard. He said it seemed to be completely devoid of love at all.[/quote]

I'd believe it. When I went to Boston for a conference we took the train to Harvard and to MIT, to check out their book stores and say we'd been there. At Harvard we never saw a single person smile in four hours.

Deus te Amat

[quote name='BG45' post='1928119' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:20 AM']I'd believe it. When I went to Boston for a conference we took the train to Harvard and to MIT, to check out their book stores and say we'd been there. At Harvard we never saw a single person smile in four hours.[/quote]

Two friends and I spent this last spring break in Boston, near MIT and Harvard. When we toured the campuses, we had so many people ask us directions because we were actually smiling and friendly looking. Lol.

And we got a lot of strange looks because we were so silly. :unsure:

[quote name='BG45' post='1928119' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:20 AM']I'd believe it. When I went to Boston for a conference we took the train to Harvard and to MIT, to check out their book stores and say we'd been there. At Harvard we never saw a single person smile in four hours.[/quote]

yeah, from what Father said, no one was ever happy with anything. they always wanted better than what they had and they were obsessed with getting it.

eagle_eye222001

Wow. Some people really dropped the ball on managing money. :rolleyes:

Long article. However it's really good and worth taking the time to read it. Some of the quotes are ...:lol_roll:

I have full confidence in the government after this. :)*

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/hans+zimmer+%26+james+newton+howard/track/harvey+two-face+(album+version)"]Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard - Harvey Two-Face (Album Version)[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

*I hope you took this as sarcasm as I intended....:rolling:

Breakfast was the best meal in the meal halls during my stay at Franciscan, although that's not saying much.

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1928078' date='Jul 22 2009, 09:46 AM'][url="http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2009/08/harvard200908"]http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/feature...8/harvard200908[/url]

:unsure:[/quote]

What do you think is happening to all of the other institutions of higher learning across the land?
The same thing, but far worse, as they all have much less of a cushion to rely on. And the state institutions can't count on the state legislators to bail them out, because the states are in trouble. California's colleges and universities have been in trouble for years.

Brother Adam

I know several protestant and Catholic based schools that are doing fine fiscally as they have always been conservative with their money.

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1928121' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:26 AM']Two friends and I spent this last spring break in Boston, near MIT and Harvard. When we toured the campuses, we had so many people ask us directions because we were actually smiling and friendly looking. Lol.

And we got a lot of strange looks because we were so silly. :unsure:[/quote]

We actually found a smiling person at MIT to help us out :) So I could definitely see why you got asked for directions.

[quote name='mcts' post='1928122' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:26 AM']yeah, from what Father said, no one was ever happy with anything. they always wanted better than what they had and they were obsessed with getting it.[/quote]

I believe that...it wasn't a place I'd like to go. The work-study guy manning the bookstore was the nicest person we ran into at Harvard, mainly because we were polite and treated him like a human being. :idontknow:

Though hopefully they apply that attitude when they get funds to doing new buildings. I understand wanting the "we're a historic institution" feel...but my own university is far more modern in comparison with architecture.

I'll bet their financial aid packages are going to be cut significantly. Seems like I read something this week that Ave Maria University fired someone, a Jesuit, who said it was because he was speaking out about financial issues he had trouble with.