Resurrexi Posted August 21, 2009 Author Posted August 21, 2009 [quote name='princessgianna' date='20 August 2009 - 11:52 PM' timestamp='1250830356' post='1953664'] My Mom never tells other people what the name will be. [/quote] That is smart.
princessgianna Posted August 23, 2009 Posted August 23, 2009 [quote name='Archaeology cat' date='21 August 2009 - 01:46 PM' timestamp='1250880388' post='1953909'] My brother had a bad experience with that, too. We told people the names, and answered any negative comments with "well, it's not your child and this is what we've decided". I feel bad for my cousin b/c my sister [i]still [/i]makes negative comments about our cousin's son's name (Leif). He's 2.5 now. I think it's cute, personally. [/quote] Leif! That's unique - I like it. I hate it when names get over used personally. [quote name='Resurrexi' date='21 August 2009 - 06:48 PM' timestamp='1250898484' post='1954061'] That is smart. [/quote] Yes it is. One time she told some one if the baby was a boy what the name would be and was told that she couldn't name him that. Apparently this woman had a misscarriage and had the same name chosen. Since it was family it made that only 90% worse.
Archaeology cat Posted August 23, 2009 Posted August 23, 2009 [quote name='princessgianna' date='23 August 2009 - 02:38 AM' timestamp='1250991516' post='1954635'] Leif! That's unique - I like it. I hate it when names get over used personally. [/quote] Same here. I love the name Sophia, but there are two Sophias on our street (not that I have a daughter, but if I did). Of course, Kieran is rather popular here, but I didn't know that at the time. My brother named his eldest Aedan, and had someone tell him he needed a more American name. Oh, and Leif's name definitely fits him. He looks kinda Nordic in colouring. My cousin got him a book on Leif the Lucky, too.
rachael Posted August 23, 2009 Posted August 23, 2009 [quote name='MIkolbe' date='23 August 2009 - 07:10 AM' timestamp='1251025804' post='1954851'] definately NOT Tyler. maybe Mark, tho. [/quote] Rachael?
princessgianna Posted August 23, 2009 Posted August 23, 2009 [quote name='Archaeology cat' date='23 August 2009 - 05:33 AM' timestamp='1251023626' post='1954842'] ... My brother named his eldest Aedan, and had someone tell him he needed a more American name. [/quote] Oh please that is sad! I think that so many people lose their traditions and hertitage in America. Granted here in America we have some cool traditions but you can not forget who you are. [quote]Oh, and Leif's name definitely fits him. He looks kinda Nordic in colouring. My cousin got him a book on Leif the Lucky, too.[/quote] That is too cute.
Archaeology cat Posted August 23, 2009 Posted August 23, 2009 (edited) I know someone with a son named Nolan Alexander. The minister accidentally baptised him as Nolan Ryan. Edited August 23, 2009 by Archaeology cat
Archaeology cat Posted August 23, 2009 Posted August 23, 2009 I stumbled across a site listing some interesting children's names: - twins named Jack and Daniel - triplets named Faith, Hope, and Kevin (the Kevin just seems out of place) - twins named Sid and Stan (their surname was Still) - Robin Graves So yeah, those are names I wouldn't go with. At least not in those combinations.
princessgianna Posted August 23, 2009 Posted August 23, 2009 [quote name='Archaeology cat' date='23 August 2009 - 01:13 PM' timestamp='1251051237' post='1954988'] I know someone with a son named Nolan Alexander. The minister accidentally baptised him as Nolan Ryan. [/quote] Whoops!
Archaeology cat Posted August 23, 2009 Posted August 23, 2009 [quote name='princessgianna' date='23 August 2009 - 07:39 PM' timestamp='1251052743' post='1955001'] Whoops! [/quote] It was an elderly minister, and we were just kinda looking around at each other wondering whether to correct him.
tinytherese Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 I thought of some other names. Ignatius Loyola Thomas Aquinas (and call him Thomas and not nickname him Tom or Tommy) Micah What I don't like is how it seems that it's seems strange in our society to have a boy to have the last letters at the end of his name be "ah" because so many girls names end with "a." People can sometimes think that it sounds girly.
iheartjp2 Posted August 26, 2009 Posted August 26, 2009 I personally think the names of some opera characters are pretty sweet, being an opera singer in training and all.
Resurrexi Posted August 26, 2009 Author Posted August 26, 2009 [quote name='tinytherese' date='24 August 2009 - 10:30 PM' timestamp='1251171016' post='1955901'] I thought of some other names. Ignatius Loyola Thomas Aquinas (and call him Thomas and not nickname him Tom or Tommy) Micah What I don't like is how it seems that it's seems strange in our society to have a boy to have the last letters at the end of his name be "ah" because so many girls names end with "a." People can sometimes think that it sounds girly. [/quote] Traditionally in English most names that are usually now translated with an -ah ending (e.g. Micah, Isaiah, Jonah) ended in -as (e.g. Micheas, Isaias, Jonas).
Archaeology cat Posted August 30, 2009 Posted August 30, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Resurrexi' date='26 August 2009 - 10:10 PM' timestamp='1251321001' post='1956537'] Traditionally in English most names that are usually now translated with an -ah ending (e.g. Micah, Isaiah, Jonah) ended in -as (e.g. Micheas, Isaias, Jonas). [/quote] Those names definitely end with a [i]he[/i] (h) in Hebrew. Micah= מִיכָה Isaiah = יְשַׁעְיָה Jonah = יוֹנָה Would the -as ending be from the Latin? Edited August 30, 2009 by Archaeology cat
Resurrexi Posted August 30, 2009 Author Posted August 30, 2009 [quote name='Archaeology cat' date='30 August 2009 - 03:34 AM' timestamp='1251621289' post='1958239'] Those names definitely end with a [i]he[/i] (h) in Hebrew. Micah= מִיכָה Isaiah = יְשַׁעְיָה Jonah = יוֹנָה Would the -as ending be from the Latin? [/quote] Yes, it would be from the Vulgate versions of those names, which are in turn from the Septuagint.
Archaeology cat Posted August 30, 2009 Posted August 30, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' date='30 August 2009 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1251644921' post='1958290'] Yes, it would be from the Vulgate versions of those names, which are in turn from the Septuagint. [/quote] That's what I figured - thanks.
veggietales Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 I love the names Blaze, Xavier, Thomas, Adrian, Augustine, & Benedict. Emma, Yvonne, Molly, Clare, Grace, & Theresa. <3
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now