An Old School Catholic Message Board

Red Light Cameras

eagle_eye222001

A  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

eagle_eye222001

Okay so I really hate red light cameras and view it as big brother recording me. While some say they help cut down on people driving through red lights, I don't think it's worth it to let it go.

Quick story that happened to me last week. I was driving up to an intersection with red light cameras when the car in front of me decided that it wanted the other lane. Due to the high volume of traffic in the respected lane, the car in front of me came to a complete stop in traffic and forced me to stop as well. When the car changed lanes, I began going again but was at about 10 MPH when I entered the intersection when the lights changed and basically I was in the intersection when the lights went red and then I saw a flash right as I left the intersection.

I'm not too worried yet though as I've seen the lights flash randomly sometimes.....anyone know anything about this or have their own story?

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/harry+gregson-williams/track/knighting+peter"]Harry Gregson-Williams - Knighting Peter[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

Nihil Obstat

Well they just recently really ramped up their use in Calgary, updating them to 'speed on green' and changing intersections regularly.
It actually worked. The stats bore this out.

Driving is a priviledge, so I don't have a problem with the government monitoring our use of that priviledge.

yeah, some people don't get that it's a priviledge. :idontknow:
but i don't like the lights, they stress me out completely! the one's out here flash on you when it's still a yellow light <_<

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1928995' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:19 PM']Okay so I really hate red light cameras and view it as big brother recording me. While some say they help cut down on people driving through red lights, I don't think it's worth it to let it go.

Quick story that happened to me last week. I was driving up to an intersection with red light cameras when the car in front of me decided that it wanted the other lane. Due to the high volume of traffic in the respected lane, the car in front of me came to a complete stop in traffic and forced me to stop as well. When the car changed lanes, I began going again but was at about 10 MPH when I entered the intersection when the lights changed and basically I was in the intersection when the lights went red and then I saw a flash right as I left the intersection.

I'm not too worried yet though as I've seen the lights flash randomly sometimes.....anyone know anything about this or have their own story?[/quote]
If it wasn't red when you entered, you have nothing to worry about.

I think they're an excellent idea. I'd invite you to come drive around Chicago to see why, but I'd rather you didn't because I like you. :)

I've been hit by someone going through a red, and narrowly avoided a few others. I've seen numerous people speed straight through lights which had been red for a long time.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year"]These are fairly sobering statistics[/url].

Personally, I'm giving up the whole car thing. Too annoying, dangerous, and expensive.

Edited by philothea

They're revenue machines. I question their effectiveness at anything other than fattening government wallets.

[quote name='scardella' post='1929370' date='Jul 23 2009, 08:14 AM']They're revenue machines. I question their effectiveness at anything other than fattening government wallets.[/quote]

I agree fully.

Going through a red light is illegal and dangerous. While most people abide by the law without a camera, the ones that don't are likely not going to get ticketed without a camera... Running a red really is one of the most dangerous traffic violations, so I think that more than anything needs to be enforced. But we can't really afford to have an officer manning every stoplight to catch the people that will, especially because most people don't. And so I think the cameras are good. If you're going to have a law, its good to have a way to enforce it. If you don't it's kind of a waste of time (not that having the lights is a waste of time, but the law to abide by it would be.) It will start keeping people on their toes.

I don't see anything wrong with the government fattening the revenue through people breaking the law. Don't want to pay up? Don't go through a red. It's pretty simple.

I don't think the ones in CA have a flash. I'm pretty sure people don't even realize a picture has been taken until they get their ticket in the mail, with a snapshot a week later. :hehe: that's at least what happened to my aunt.

But they seem to be pretty good here... I mean I've never heard anyone that got one claim that it was unjust because they were just finishing when it turned red, or anything like that.

tinytherese

I don't like driving. I still have to get over my fear of it and believe me going through driver's ed. where my dad was one of my teachers didn't help. :no:

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1928995' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:19 PM']I was in the intersection when the lights went red and then I saw a flash right as I left the intersection.[/quote]

Technically, you can be ticketed, as you prevented the perpendicular traffic from being able to go on their green. They could've even ran right into you and it would be your fault. Rule of thumb; If traffic is moving slow, don't get into an intersection until you know you'll make it past on the same light.

As for the evil cameras. They do more harm then good. Local newspaper just finished a week long series on these. [url="http://www.dailyherald.com/packages/2009/redlightcameras/"]The webpage to all the stories can be found here.[/url]

I say get rid of cell phones in cars first. Or, make it murder when someone is distracted by cell phones, radio, painting nails, and kills someone. [url="http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=291185"]Unlike here[/url] Especially motorcyclists. Remember always to check your blind spots!

[quote name='Zoecool13' post='1929455' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:18 PM']I say get rid of cell phones in cars first. Or, make it murder when someone is distracted by cell phones, radio, painting nails, and kills someone. [url="http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=291185"]Unlike here[/url] Especially motorcyclists. Remember always to check your blind spots![/quote]
If you can't drive and carry on a cell phone conversation, chances are you can't drive very well in the first place. I know the supposed statistics, but they don't delve into how people change their driving habits when speaking on the phone.

Murder. Heck, let's install red light machine guns.

Motorcyclists need to drive more defensively. Perhaps occupying someone's blind spot or speeding isn't the best of ideas on a motorcycle. I see far too much stupidity by motorcyclists to have too much sympathy for them.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1929631' date='Jul 23 2009, 03:10 PM']Motorcyclists need to drive more defensively. Perhaps occupying someone's blind spot or speeding isn't the best of ideas on a motorcycle. I see far too much stupidity by motorcyclists to have too much sympathy for them.[/quote]

I agree completely. A good majority of motorcyclists are very dangerous drivers. I've witnessed two motorcycle accidents take place because the motorcyclist was being completely reckless. One guy ended up under someone's car because he was speeding and the car in front of him stopped at a red light and under the car the motorcyclist went.