An Old School Catholic Message Board

Red Light Cameras

eagle_eye222001

A  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Zoecool13' post='1929455' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:18 AM']I say get rid of cell phones in cars first. Or, make it murder when someone is distracted by cell phones, radio, painting nails, and kills someone. [url="http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=291185"]Unlike here[/url] Especially motorcyclists. Remember always to check your blind spots![/quote]

I don't think making that a murder offense would really work as a deterrent. People that talk on their cell phones, etc. have heard for years that it's dangerous and could kill someone, but they all think, Oh not me! That would never happen to me! They think they're such good drivers they could not possibly get caught, let alone get in an accident. They aren't going to get off their phone when the thought comes to them... oh if I get an accident and hurt someone, it will mean LIFE in PRISON. Oh, I better not risk it. They will still take the risk.

It is illegal to use your phone or text in CA... I don't think anyone pays attention. My cousin is always texting while she drives. Thats a terrifying experience.

Edited by zunshynn

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1929401' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:57 AM']Going through a red light is illegal and dangerous. While most people abide by the law without a camera, the ones that don't are likely not going to get ticketed without a camera... Running a red really is one of the most dangerous traffic violations, so I think that more than anything needs to be enforced. But we can't really afford to have an officer manning every stoplight to catch the people that will, especially because most people don't. And so I think the cameras are good. If you're going to have a law, its good to have a way to enforce it. If you don't it's kind of a waste of time (not that having the lights is a waste of time, but the law to abide by it would be.) It will start keeping people on their toes.

I don't see anything wrong with the government fattening the revenue through people breaking the law. Don't want to pay up? Don't go through a red. It's pretty simple.[/quote]

However, the cities often reduce the amount of time the light is yellow once they put in red-light cameras... That way, you either have to stand on your brakes in a panic stop once it goes yellow, or run the red light and get ticketed. How is that fair and safety-conscious? That actually makes the intersections MORE dangerous...

I don't trust the police when it comes to traffic enforcement. Far too often it's much more about revenue than safety on the road.

Example: Deserted country interstate, somewhere in northern Alabama: I'm driving about 80 in my 350Z. Nobody else is on the road, visibility is good. Car is less than 1 year old, has great tires, doing the cross-country thing. The car is designed to travel much faster than that... safely. I got pulled over and ticketed for speeding, 81 in a 70 zone. Now, a 350Z is much safer at 80 than a Semi at 70... yet the Z would be ticketed.

Think about that for a while.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='scardella' post='1929675' date='Jul 23 2009, 03:02 PM']However, the cities often reduce the amount of time the light is yellow once they put in red-light cameras... That way, you either have to stand on your brakes in a panic stop once it goes yellow, or run the red light and get ticketed. How is that fair and safety-conscious? That actually makes the intersections MORE dangerous...

I don't trust the police when it comes to traffic enforcement. Far too often it's much more about revenue than safety on the road.

Example: Deserted country interstate, somewhere in northern Alabama: I'm driving about 80 in my 350Z. Nobody else is on the road, visibility is good. Car is less than 1 year old, has great tires, doing the cross-country thing. The car is designed to travel much faster than that... safely. I got pulled over and ticketed for speeding, 81 in a 70 zone. Now, a 350Z is much safer at 80 than a Semi at 70... yet the Z would be ticketed.

Think about that for a while.[/quote]
When you got your license, the government in effect said "you may drive on our roads if you follow our rules." They have no obligation to let you use their roads.

[quote name='Zoecool13' post='1929455' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:18 AM']I say get rid of cell phones in cars first. Or, make it murder when someone is distracted by cell phones, radio, painting nails, and kills someone. [url="http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=291185"]Unlike here[/url] Especially motorcyclists. Remember always to check your blind spots![/quote]

YES!

[quote name='Winchester' post='1929631' date='Jul 23 2009, 01:10 PM']Motorcyclists need to drive more defensively. Perhaps occupying someone's blind spot or speeding isn't the best of ideas on a motorcycle. I see far too much stupidity by motorcyclists to have too much sympathy for them.[/quote]

yes motorcycles need to drive very defensively. mostly because of all the idiots in "cages" who threaten them. i saw statistics a while back on crashes between motorcycles and cars, where 90-95% where the car drivers fault. stupidity in driving is a province typically occupied by the people with the largest and most dangerous SUVs and trucks.

its sad how many jerks dont even look around them for motorcycles(or even cars) when changing lanes, turning pulling out etc. then when they kill somebody, they just bleat "well i didnt see him"
MAYBE YOU SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN TEXTING OR DIGGING THROUGH YOUR PURSE THEN! its amazing how blindly some people drive. one thing you can say for motorcyclists, even if they happen to be breaking laws, they are always alert for other vehicles.

personally i have had at least 10 close calls with people who werent looking where they were going while i was on my bike. thankfully i could accelerate and brake faster than them so i avoided collision.

also this happens with redlight cameras
[url="http://www.motorists.org/blog/6-cities-that-were-caught-shortening-yellow-light-times-for-profit/"]http://www.motorists.org/blog/6-cities-tha...mes-for-profit/[/url]

Edited by Jesus_lol

They are adding speed things to the ones here. Just at intersections where lots of wrecks happen.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1929631' date='Jul 23 2009, 03:10 PM']Murder. Heck, let's install red light machine guns.[/quote]
:lol_roll:

I'm all for it. :mellow:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1929687' date='Jul 23 2009, 04:16 PM']When you got your license, the government in effect said "you may drive on our roads if you follow our rules." They have no obligation to let you use their roads.[/quote]

Aren't they "our" roads, we pay for them.

As far as the red cameras, I'd have no problem with them except (and it was proven in court), they lessen the yellow light so you better be darn sure you can make it through, which means stopping at a green? Makes no sense to me. In the picture (taken by a camera) one light was yellow and the other red. Leave the lights alone if you are going to play photographer.

I would love to share the road with bicyclists if they actually followed street signs. I have yet to see one stop at a stop sign or red light. Where are the police then?

The people that drive on our roads don't actually pay for them. They live in the suburbs where they pay their taxes that don't go towards our roads in town at all.