An Old School Catholic Message Board

Deep Thoughts About Music...

Marie-Therese

franciscanheart

i used to play "another day in paradise" by phil collins over and over and over as a little girl. i get lost in the weepies, jon foreman, and joshua radin. there was a local band called the windbreakers who wrote and produced a song called "oregon" that also takes me away- into myself and out of myself all at once, if that makes sense.

(joshua radin and jon foreman are the majority of my top 25 most played on iTunes.)

hoosieranna

For the "sound" of me (what a great term, M-T!), I would say this:[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZn_VBgkPNY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZn_VBgkPNY...feature=related[/url] or this (starting at 2:13): [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9llrnMahGBE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9llrnMahGBE[/url]. I used to listen to the second one with my dad when I was little.

Lyrically, probably "Martyrs and Thieves" by Jennifer Knapp.

Edited by Nadezhda

Vincent Vega

Music is a huge part of my life. There are songs that I just listen to and...well, I don't know. It's beyond words.
At the moment, I am loving "The Finer Things" by Steve Winwood.
Sorry that my post isn't deeper...it would/will be if I could/can figure out how to put it into words.

VeniteAdoremus

One of my friends is the Choral No. 3 by Cesar Franck. To the note. It's so scary.

Me... I think I'm the Polovtsian Dances :) Or the Cantique de Jean Racine.

I want to become [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh2IRvavyms"]"Love them like Jesus" by the Casting Crowns[/url]. That song is such an inspiration to me.

Marie-Therese

Shameless :bump: of my own thread. Still want to know what music is between the ears of the PM faithful.

How to Save a Life by the Fray... makes me think about my relationship with my friends, and just others in general. And kind of about how it can be so easy to take for granted the importance that they have... I think because when a friend of mine died suddenly, that was on his myspace profile, and my friends quickly started associating it with him. So even though that doesn't really have anything to do with the song, that's what it makes me think of... because he wasn't a close friend, but I realized, after he died, that he was important to me nonetheless. Collide by Howie Day also has a similar effect.

The song Sweetly Broken by Jeremy Riddle has always been one that made me identify with in my relationship to God. Held by Natalie Grant...

Train Wreck by Sarah McLachlan... can't quite articulate why. And Fallen as well. I guess, it articulates the weakness I feel.

One Way Ticket by LeAnn Rimes was a favorite when I was a little girl... I think it's a nostalgic song for me... makes me think of all the things I wanted to do.

Marie-Therese

My personal favorite song...What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong.

Several John Mayer tunes get me. I don't get how he can be such a brilliant guitarist and introspective lyricist and such a jerk in public. Oh well, youth and money often equal trouble. Anyway, from him I have a couple which always speak to me:

Why Georgia--used to live in Atlanta so it has a lot of meaning on many levels.
Stop This Train--wonderfully vulnerable song about the progress of life
Comfortable--very intimate song about relationships
3x5--what freedom sounds like

John Mayer + Stratocaster = Good.

I have so many different songs in my head that I associate with so many different emotions. I'll have to come back when my mind has stopped going blank.

the extended guitar part at the end of "on every street"by Dire straits really speaks to me for some reason. whenever i am tense, or angry that song just melts is away.

other than that my favourite music is Metal, the heavier the better. the lyrics and anger is not so much me, i pay attention to the music mostly.

very heavy and harsh sounds introduced and followed by beautiful clean and acoustic melodies; varying tempo and timing; complex arrangements; technical passages punctuated by slower hard hitting, crushing interludes; tight and surgical instrumentation to loose and organic; discordant and atonal riffs that fit precisely when taken incontext to absurdly detailed melodies, perfectly harmonized; drums and bass in constant evolution, shifting throughout the song; all instruments frequently taking influence from blues, jazz, classical, country(ocassionally) and numerous exotic music genres.

fits me to a Tee.

I absolutely love music, just about every form. I have a bunch of songs I love, and like others have said when I find a song I love I'll listen to it over and over. My husband is the same way.

I love independent musicians; some of my favorites are Over the Rhine, Jason Harrod, and Sufjan Stevens.

Lately, songs on my playlist have been "Run" by Collective Soul, "All These Things That I've Done" by The Killers, "Your Ex-Lover Is Dead" by Stars, and "All That I Want" by The Weepies, among others.

I like to listen to music loud, although I try not to do that often so I preserve my hearing. I just love the feeling of music affecting your entire body. I used to sing with a symphonic choir, and some of my favorite musical memories are from performing with them in Symphony concerts. We did, for example, Beethoven's Ninth, and there is something extraordinary about singing your heart out while the music swells all around you. I think it is seriously a little taste a heaven.

Deus te Amat

I have a lot of songs that I kind of relate to, but a song just played on my iTunes by Tenth Avenue North, and it really described how I've been feeling lately.

It's their song "Beloved" and it's a love song from Jesus to us.

Love of my life
Look deep in my eyes
There you will find what you need
Give me your life
Lust and the lies
The past you're afraid I might see
You've been running away from me

You're my beloved
Lover I'm yours
Death shall not part us
It's you I died for
For better or worse
Forever we'll be
Our Love it unites us
It binds you to me
It's a mystery

Love of my life
Look deep in my eyes
There you will find what you need
I'am the giver of life
I'll clothe you in whine
My immaculate bride you will be
Oh come running home to me

You're my beloved
Lover I'm yours
Death shall not part us
It's you I died for
For better or worse
Forever we'll be
Our Love it unites us
It binds you to me

Well you've been a mistress, my wife
Chasing lovers it won't satisfy
Won't you let me make you my bride
You will drink of my lips
And you'll taste new life

Cause you're my beloved
Lover I'm yours
Death shall not part us
It's you I died for
For better or worse
Forever we'll be
Our Love it unites us
& it binds you to me

You're my beloved
Forever we'll be
Our love it unites us
And it binds you to me
It's a mystery
It's a mystery

Edited by Deus_te_Amat

Anyone else think of Jack Handey?

[quote]I'll be the first to admit that my idea of God is pretty different. I believe
in a God with a long white beard, a gold crown, and a long robe with lots of
shiny jewels on it. He sits on a big throne in the clouds, and He's about five
hundred feet tall. He talks in a real deep voice like "I...AM...GOD!" He can
blow up stuff just by looking at it.
This is my own, personal idea of God.[/quote]

[quote]I'll be the first to admit that my idea of God is pretty different. I believe
in a God with a long white beard, a gold crown, and a long robe with lots of
shiny jewels on it. He sits on a big throne in the clouds, and He's about five
hundred feet tall. He talks in a real deep voice like "I...AM...GOD!" He can
blow up stuff just by looking at it.
This is my own, personal idea of God.[/quote]

This is a song? I'm trying to imagine how it sounds... it must be country. :lol:

Deus te Amat

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1935138' date='Jul 29 2009, 08:18 PM']This is a song? I'm trying to imagine how it sounds... it must be country. :lol:[/quote]

Jack Handy is a comedian... I'm fairly sure this isn't a song. I'm not sure why Old_Joe would have posted that here. :idontknow: