An Old School Catholic Message Board

Deep Thoughts About Music...

Marie-Therese

Marie-Therese

Do you think that there is certain music/songs that sound like you? If someone were to listen to a particular tune, would they get a deep sense of who you are as a person?

I have wondered a lot about that many times in the past. I have a very deep connection to music...and to be honest I am thinking more about secular music than spiritual here. I think that spiritual music puts us in a frame of mind to be worshipful, but maybe might not say too much about us as individuals outside the particular genre the spiritual music was recorded in. I am thinking much more about those songs that identify us, that connect us to certain parts of our past...you know, the song that makes you remember summertime when you were 8? Or your first crush? Something painful?

I love the depth of music...so, that said, is there some particular music that you identify with closely? I have some unusual musical tastes myself.

I think someone else (Princess Gianna, was it you?) recently posted a thread on favorite songs, and I don't want to hijack the topic...I was just curious about getting to know my dear fellow Phatmassers in a different kind of way.

I am very curious to see the responses. :)

Btw, a good example for me personally is the song "Gravity" by John Mayer. A lot of me in that tune.

Bring the Rain by Mercyme talks about my life. When I sing it at functions, people assume I wrote it myself.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

There is a song by a Japanese artist that describes my brain functions. It's DPO by Shugo Tokumaru. It's quite interesting and I love it.

But, I've never heard a song that really encompasses my entirety. Only parts of me are found in music...

RosaMystica

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1930390' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:39 AM']But, I've never heard a song that really encompasses my entirety. Only parts of me are found in music...[/quote]

I'd have to agree, although I've never really thought about this, but I think I will now. :think:

I used to feel like Nichole Nordeman's Brave CD was like the story of my life... especially the songs Brave, Someday, No More Chains and Lay it Down. I have a hard time relating to the music now, but I still think it relates to my life over all...

There's a lot of music that I've felt a deep connection to... Behind Blue Eyes used to... So Far Away by Staind, Ever the Same and Push by Matchbox 20. A lot of Linkin Park, Nickelback and some 3 doors down. How to Save a Life by the Fray. Different things at different times.

Since I've left the monastery I've related to different music than I have before... Trust You and Wait and See by Brandon Heath... Something Beautiful and Stay Strong by the Newsboys... a lot of Jars of Clay... Faith Enough, the Eleventh Hour.

Then there's music that isn't necessarily deep, but that resonates with me alot anyway... like Do You Believe in Magic, and a lot of Sheryl Crow songs which surprises me, in a way, because I don't really have that... carefree personality.

Sorry... probably a lot more songs than you were expecting, but it was hard to even narrow it down that much!

heavenseeker

i dont think that there is one song that defines me but there are songs that define me moods. but even then its not one song its more like a list of songs for each emotion.

Marie-Therese

Zunshynn--No, that's cool, that is what I was looking for, really. No one fits a single song.

I wondered if people here have connections to songs the way that I do, where you can find a little part of who you are (or, sometimes, who you used to be) in a song.

More examples from me...

1. Prince, When Doves Cry. Reminds me of third grade. LOL
2. Violent Femmes, Blister in the Sun. I hear that song and I'm immediately 17 again, riding around in a red Ford Ranger, with a melting chocolate ice cream cone in my hand.
3. REM, End of the World (I Feel Fine). The song everyone in high school tried to sing along with, but only knew the words "Leonard Bernstein."
4. Last Goodbye, Jeff Buckley. Reminds me of my friend Alex's mismatched argyle socks.

See what I mean? I give these as examples, and they're not really deep about me per se, but the songs are strong sense memories. They are as much a part of my past as the events that I recall when I hear them.

The song "Gravity" I referred to earlier is one that I think, if people had a sound, I'd sound like that song. Slow, blues riff, simple melody, strong lyric. I have no idea if anyone reading this post will have a clue what I mean when I say that. But there are certain songs that I think, wow, there is so much of me in that song. Not just "oh, I relate to those lyrics" per se but also, "that is the kind of sound my soul would make if you could hear it."

It is probably way too late for me to post this existential stuff. I need to put the iPod down and back away slowly. LOL

When I listen to music I have this tendency to listen to the same thing over, and over and over. As in, like, playing the same song a thousand times in a row. literally. Or getting through half a song and deciding I want to start it over (that drove the sisters I went shopping with nuts. :lol:) and I'll listen to one CD for a long time before I switch to something else, and often enough it would coincide with the book I was reading. So now, when I listen to a certain CD, it makes me think of the book, almost like the songs are actually about the book, even if they're totally different.

Like I was listening to 3 Doors Down when I read Cold Mountain, Garth Brooks when I read Dinotopia, Brandon Heath when I read a biography about JPII... I can't remember what I was listening to when I was reading things like Grapes of Wrath and E. M. Forster's novels, but if I heard it again, I would automatically associate it with the book.

That happen to anyone else?

Marie-Therese

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1930431' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:35 AM']When I listen to music I have this tendency to listen to the same thing over, and over and over. As in, like, playing the same song a thousand times in a row. literally.

That happen to anyone else?[/quote]

Yepper...I'm an immersive listener. LOL I listen to one thing repetitively at times, like I have to drain it dry before going to the next thing. Songs are like friends, I can't hop easily back and forth. They deserve time and attention.

Yes...I'm a weirdo. :wacko:

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1930418' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:09 AM']I used to feel like Nichole Nordeman's Brave CD was like the story of my life... especially the songs Brave, Someday, No More Chains and Lay it Down. I have a hard time relating to the music now, but I still think it relates to my life over all...[/quote]

That CD was basically my playlist in high school, especially sophomore year. :)

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1930431' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:35 AM']When I listen to music I have this tendency to listen to the same thing over, and over and over. As in, like, playing the same song a thousand times in a row. literally. Or getting through half a song and deciding I want to start it over (that drove the sisters I went shopping with nuts. :lol:) and I'll listen to one CD for a long time before I switch to something else, and often enough it would coincide with the book I was reading. So now, when I listen to a certain CD, it makes me think of the book, almost like the songs are actually about the book, even if they're totally different.

Like I was listening to 3 Doors Down when I read Cold Mountain, Garth Brooks when I read Dinotopia, Brandon Heath when I read a biography about JPII... I can't remember what I was listening to when I was reading things like Grapes of Wrath and E. M. Forster's novels, but if I heard it again, I would automatically associate it with the book.

That happen to anyone else?[/quote]

I have a similar experience. I associate certain songs with particular events or times in my life when I would hear it often. As for listening to music over and over, I do that often when I'm depressed. I listen to Cecilia Bartoli's rendition of "Sposa Son Desprezzata" with piano or Natalie Dessay's rendition of "Ach! Ich Fuhl's" over and over. I actually have an entire playlist of songs that are depressing or remind me of sadness. Listening to them when I'm at a low point is oddly therapeutic for me.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1930434' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:39 AM']Yepper...I'm an immersive listener. LOL I listen to one thing repetitively at times, like I have to drain it dry before going to the next thing. Songs are like friends, I can't hop easily back and forth. They deserve time and attention.

Yes...I'm a weirdo. :wacko:[/quote]

Ha, I feel the same way. :topsy:

The Bus Station

Cool thread, Marie-Therese :cool:

Your Love is Extravagant (sung by Matt Maher) -- Takes me back to when I was starting out in my faith life. Still wells up a lot of emotion in me when I listen to it.

Layla by Derek and the Dominos (the piano ending) -- My dad used to play this on the piano when I was 4-5 years old and I would make up lyrics :topsy: really nostalgiac song for me.

Shifting Sand by Caedmon's Call -- my spirituality in a nutshell.

+J.M.J.+
i went to iTunes, and checked the songs that i've played the most.

"It Don't Have to Change" (John Legend) - mostly because it's soulful, kind of sad, a little jazzy.
"La Mamma Morta" (sung by the incredible Maria Callas) - soulful and sad
"L-O-V-E" (Nat King Cole) - jazzy, upbeat
"Old Blue Chair" (Acoustic Version) (Kenny Chesney) - laid back, relaxed
"Here Comes the Sun" (Nina Simone) - hopeful, a little sad, jazzy
"Shape of My Heart" (Sting) - a little sad
"Come Out and Play" (Offspring) - reminds me of high school and what a moronic little punk i was :mellow:
"Knees of My Heart" (Jimmy Buffett) - Buffett just puts me in such a mellow mood :yawn:

i also have a lot of dean martin, frank sinatra, and the like. also a lot of old motown stuff. i love the classy songs and their voices. also have a lot of indie songs (from aurgasm.us) that i've picked up.

this is just a quick sampling of the (way) too many songs i have.