An Old School Catholic Message Board

Swine Flu

homeschoolmom

Swine flu  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The swine flu is allegedly less severe than the "regular" flu. I don't see why there's a bunch of hubub about it.

heavenseeker

the only age groups i heard of it killing was the really young or the old. it was just another flue tath got over hyped

I am as concerned about it for my youngest daughter as I am for regular flu. That's about it. Yes, I'll get her the vaccine. If she gets the flu, she has a good shot at death. She was nearly a whole trimester premature and has respitory problems. Nearly every cold she's had has sent her to the hospital. I really hope the vaccine becomes available.

I'm not particularly concerned, but there might be some reason to be.

The issue is that it's genetically similar to the killer flu of 1918. And just like this flu, the flu of 1918 spread all of the world fairly harmlessly, and [i]then it mutated[/i] into a deadly second wave which triggered a killer immune reaction in millions of young, healthy adults.

No one has any way of knowing if that will happen this time or not. It is theorized that the dangerous mutation was caused by WWI, so lacking a large concentration of young adults under severe physical strain, we may be fine.

My dad lost most of his family in 1918 to the flu. He was terrified of us getting the flu when we were kids. It is hitting the aboriginal communities here pretty hard. When you've got 15 people living in two room houses without running water, that's certainly ideal conditions for the spread. Also ideal conditions for mutation. We may not have guys crammed into muddy trenches, but that doesn't mean we don't have other populations world wide who are similarly under stress.

I'm not particularly concerned about it but if a vaccine becomes available I'll take it b/c of the pregnancy. I probably wouldn't otherwise.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1930621' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:25 AM']I'm not particularly concerned about it but if a vaccine becomes available I'll take it b/c of the pregnancy. I probably wouldn't otherwise.[/quote]

Getting the flu when pregnant greatly increases your child's risk of developing schizophrenia.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='philothea' post='1930556' date='Jul 24 2009, 09:19 AM']I'm not particularly concerned, but there might be some reason to be.

The issue is that it's genetically similar to the killer flu of 1918. And just like this flu, the flu of 1918 spread all of the world fairly harmlessly, and [i]then it mutated[/i] into a deadly second wave which triggered a killer immune reaction in millions of young, healthy adults.

No one has any way of knowing if that will happen this time or not. It is theorized that the dangerous mutation was caused by WWI, so lacking a large concentration of young adults under severe physical strain, we may be fine.[/quote]
This is why I'm concerned about it. I've got enough training in biology to know how this works, and it scares me.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='philothea' post='1930556' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:19 AM']I'm not particularly concerned, but there might be some reason to be.

No one has any way of knowing if that will happen this time or not. It is theorized that the dangerous mutation was caused by WWI, so lacking a large concentration of young adults under severe physical strain, we may be fine.[/quote]

Yeah, this is why I'm a little concerned....

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1930634' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:39 PM']This is why I'm concerned about it. I've got enough training in biology to know how this works, and it scares me.[/quote]
:yes: