An Old School Catholic Message Board

Swine Flu

homeschoolmom

Swine flu  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1930640' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:45 PM']I was kind of hoping to get it while it is still relatively mild.[/quote]
Me too.... :unsure:

When swine flu was first hitting the news, I got a cold, then right after that I got strep (boy, was THAT annoying!) but no flu...

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1930631' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:36 PM']Getting the flu when pregnant greatly increases your child's risk of developing schizophrenia.[/quote]
Perhaps I should live in isolation for the next six months ... :unsure:

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1930652' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:59 AM']Perhaps I should live in isolation for the next six months ... :unsure:[/quote]

I'll bet that's what women used to think 50+ years ago when there'd be an outbreak of measles or polio. Maybe that's why they used to call being pregnant "her confinement."

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1930660' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:11 PM']I'll bet that's what women used to think 50+ years ago when there'd be an outbreak of measles or polio. Maybe that's why they used to call being pregnant "her confinement."[/quote]
You may be right. My mother actually had some sort of pregnancy-no-no illness when she was pregnant with me (German measles, I think). Thankfully I suffered no adverse effects.

I probably won't start a job until after I've had the baby, and I'll stay away from little germ-mongers ... er, children, as much as possible when flu season comes around. Maybe I'll also sit in the back far away from people in church.

The year I was sickest, I lived with and spent a lot of time with dear friends who had four young children. I am sure I got a number of illnesses from them.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1930672' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:22 PM']You may be right. My mother actually had some sort of pregnancy-no-no illness when she was pregnant with me (German measles, I think). Thankfully I suffered no adverse effects.

I probably won't start a job until after I've had the baby, and I'll stay away from little germ-mongers ... er, children, as much as possible when flu season comes around. Maybe I'll also sit in the back far away from people in church.

The year I was sickest, I lived with and spent a lot of time with dear friends who had four young children. I am sure I got a number of illnesses from them.[/quote]
But look at the immunity you built up!

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1930680' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:26 PM']But look at the immunity you built up![/quote]
That is true. I have gotten the flu since then but never as bad.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1930683' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:29 PM']That is true. I have gotten the flu since then but never as bad.[/quote]
Just remind yourself of all the immunity you build up when your sick kid pukes on you....

Archaeology cat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1930631' date='Jul 24 2009, 05:36 PM']Getting the flu when pregnant greatly increases your child's risk of developing schizophrenia.[/quote]
Do you have a source for this? Seeing as a family member has schizophrenia, I'm interested in this sort of thing.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1930652' date='Jul 24 2009, 05:59 PM']Perhaps I should live in isolation for the next six months ... :unsure:[/quote]
They're actually considering telling pregnant women here to remain at home in the fall, as they're predicting that 1 in 3 may get it.

If they make the vaccine available, I'll have us get it. My husband has asthma, so obviously any flu isn't good for him. My son doesn't have the constant sniffle he did when younger, thankfully.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1930688' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:34 PM']Do you have a source for this? Seeing as a family member has schizophrenia, I'm interested in this sort of thing.

They're actually considering telling pregnant women here to remain at home in the fall, as they're predicting that 1 in 3 may get it.

If they make the vaccine available, I'll have us get it. My husband has asthma, so obviously any flu isn't good for him. My son doesn't have the constant sniffle he did when younger, thankfully.[/quote]
Catherine may have better info, but a quick google search led me to [url="http://www.schizophrenia.com/prevention/maternal.html#support"]this site,[/url] which references a study suggesting the flu could result in a 300-700 percent increase in the chance of developing schizophrenia, depending on when in the pregnancy the flu hits.

Scary. Makes me glad I am no longer in school.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1930688' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:34 PM']Do you have a source for this? Seeing as a family member has schizophrenia, I'm interested in this sort of thing.[/quote]

Here's some info at [url="http://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/news/20040802/schizophrenia-linked-flu-during-pregnancy"]Webmd[/url]. There have been numerous studies, and they all show a link between flu. They don't know why yet, but are studying it hoping to find some kind of action that the flu does on the brain as an avenue for a new treatment.

Just read this [url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090724/ap_on_he_me/us_med_swine_flu_4"]Article[/url] that says Swine Flu could hit 40% of Americans in the next 2 years, and if we don't get proper vaccines prepared, several hundred thousand could die from it. Alberta just announced that the shots will be free to everyone this fall. Mine already was because those with chronic health issues get them free anyway.

VeniteAdoremus

Since I just spent three days walking around in bad weather, and then the nights right next to someone who has just been diagnosed with swine flu, YES I AM CONCERNED. :)

I refuse to let a pilgrimage make me ill, though.