An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where In Europe Should We Go?

Deus te Amat

FiereMargriet

I'm partial to Belgium, but maybe that's just me :) Still, it's a fairly small country with good public transport and lots of cool churches. Brussels is nice, but I lived in and was quite fond of Leuven, which is a smaller city about 30 minutes away by train, with a lovely town hall and famous Catholic university. Bruges is very picturesque and has the Basilica of the Holy Blood, the Church of Our Lady, and lots of historical value (and canal tours!). Ghent is my favorite city after Leuven and has everything that Bruges has but feels bigger and less touristy--plus there's a castle and a belfry which is lots of fun to climb.

I expect you'll be going to the big cities like Rome and Paris. I would advise you to see a good mix of tourist things you feel like you should see and things you are really interested in, even if they aren't as "big." I know when I'm sightseeing, I feel like I HAVE to see everything, and while you certainly can see a lot, aiming for a happy medium helps. I hope you have a nice trip!

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

probably, lol! although the MIC's are pretty awesome too...

OH, and we HAVE to go to Belgium! Maredsous Abbey! Bl. Columba Marmion!!! BENEDICTINE!!!!!

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1931161' date='Jul 24 2009, 09:37 PM']I'm traveling the British Isles after the semester ends with my best friend. So, yes, but Naz won't be with. :ninja:[/quote]

If you will be in London, you should visit [url="http://www.westminstercathedral.org.uk/home.html"]Westminster Cathedral[/url]. (It is not the same thing as Westminster Abbey, though you should see Westminster Abbey too.)

FiereMargriet

[quote name='NazFarmer' post='1931168' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:39 PM']probably, lol! although the MIC's are pretty awesome too...

OH, and we HAVE to go to Belgium! Maredsous Abbey! Bl. Columba Marmion!!! BENEDICTINE!!!!![/quote]

Wow, Maredsous Abbey looks great! You can get free beer from some of the abbeys that brew it. (I've read that, anyway.)

Also, depending on how fast you want to move, you can always do two small cities in a day, like Leuven and Bruges.

I should also recommend Switzerland, as I was just there. We flew out from Geneva, but didn't get a chance to see the city center, although I've heard it's not the most exciting city. We also went to Brig-Glis and took a cable car up one of the mountains above the Wallise Valley. We were also in Thun and Bern which were very nice.

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1931124' date='Jul 24 2009, 08:13 PM']Okay, so, NazFarmer and I are spending 4ish months in Rome, and we have a lot of travel time.

We're really excited. :woot:

Where should we go?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?![/quote]

[quote]Okay. I have a feeling we're going to have a Dominican-Benedictine rivalry going on whilst we travel. matrix.gif[/quote]

Then balance it out with Franciscans!

The Basilica of St. Francis, San Damiano, the Basilica of St. Clare, the Portiuncola, the Rocca Maggiore, Mount La Verna, the Carceri...

Oooh... Yes definitely Poland... Lourdes, and Troyes (the founding monastery of the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration is there. :love:... it's near Paris), Prague, Monte Cassino and Solemnes, and Auschwitz...

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1931138' date='Jul 24 2009, 08:21 PM']If you can, you might want to check out Assisi. Very cool place. When they say it's a small city on a hillside, they are not kidding.[/quote]

If you can?! MIGHT want?! :madrant: Ignore him. You MUST go to Assisi. ;) :bounce: and take pictures... for me! :photo:

One of the women at church went to Assisi a couple of months ago. She loved it. She was on a tour with a priest, and he said mass for them every morning in a different ancient chapel.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I think I could spend year in Italy alone. But, if you want to try eastern Europe, Ukraine is a beautiful place. L'viv is more Polish and Kiev is more Russian, but there are some great Eastern Catholic churches and saints in either city I believe. I was only in those two cities, but they are both wonderful.

littlesister

Paris - Rue du Bac - Montmartre - the Louvre - a nighttime guided tour. Mont St Michel is worth any trouble, just don't try to see it in 40 minutes. If you're around there on August 15th, find a candlelight Assumption procession. There's a gorgeous regional one at our Motherhouse in St. Pern, but you'd either need to drive or to find a parish that's sending a bus.