An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Am Russian Now

Resurrexi

[quote name='Hassan' post='1932315' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:38 AM']Dostoevsky's Christology was heretical :unsure:[/quote]

:huh:

He was a theologian?

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1932318' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:42 AM']:huh:

He was a theologian?[/quote]

Not an official one. :unsure:

[quote name='Hassan' post='1932319' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:44 AM']Not an official one. :unsure:[/quote]

What did he say about the Word of God that was heretical?

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1932320' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:45 AM']What did he say about the Word of God that was heretical?[/quote]

I don't remember exactly. I believe his views of Christ were anologous to the American Transcendentalists

[quote name='Hassan' post='1932321' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:47 AM']I don't remember exactly. I believe his views of Christ were anologous to the American Transcendentalists[/quote]

It sounds like he didn't follow Eastern Orthodoxy very strictly.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1932325' date='Jul 26 2009, 03:54 AM']It sounds like he didn't follow Eastern Orthodoxy very strictly.[/quote]

I havn't studied Dostoevsky since I was your age but as I recall he was pretty strict. I remember Nietzsche praised him in "Twilight of Idols" as "the only psychologist from whom I have had anything to learn" but attacked him for his excessive use of the Sacrament of Confession.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1932326' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:58 AM']I havn't studied Dostoevsky since I was your age but as I recall he was pretty strict. I remember Nietzsche praised him in "Twilight of Idols" as "the only psychologist from whom I have had anything to learn" but attacked him for his excessive use of the Sacrament of Confession.[/quote]

Apparently his heretical views weren't considered heretical by the Russian Orthodox clergy.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1932336' date='Jul 26 2009, 05:54 AM']Apparently his heretical views weren't considered heretical by the Russian Orthodox clergy.[/quote]

How so?

[quote name='Hassan' post='1932340' date='Jul 26 2009, 05:04 AM']How so?[/quote]

I would assume that Russian Orthodox clergy back then weren't too keen on administering Holy Communion to those whom they considered heretics...

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1932493' date='Jul 26 2009, 03:17 PM']I would assume that Russian Orthodox clergy back then weren't too keen on administering Holy Communion to those whom they considered heretics...[/quote]

I don't think he often wrote on his Christological views openly in his books or his newspaper columns.