An Old School Catholic Message Board

Back From My Visit To Sheffield Carmel In The Uk

Laudem Gloriae

kavalamyself

Dear Laudem,

Congratulations on a wonderful experience!

May God reward your charity in following His call - even across the ocean - with many blessings, graces and much peace (and it sounds like you already have these things).

Sister Michael Maria's story is really inspirational to me. I am so glad that she has been willing to share her life and her struggles so openly. I'm sure at times it was embarrassing and I guess she just has that much humility in her to talk about everything, including the challenges. She must be a fantastic nun!

There are so many that would have given up and yet, she didn't. I hope that I will have the grace and courage to do so (like you both) so I can find the right place.

Thank you also for posting such interesting information. Also very inspirational and very good to read.

I am praying for you.

Colette

Archaeology cat

[quote name='rosamundi' post='1932998' date='Jul 27 2009, 02:34 PM']When I once tried to pay a US Dollar cheque into my UK bank account, it cost me a significant percentage of the value of the cheque - something like 25%, once commission and other charges had been applied. Unless the situation has changed significantly, I wouldn't suggest making a donation in this fashion.

My aunt, who lives in north America, used to order International Money Orders in Sterling for my brother and I for Christmas. I seem to recall she got them from the post office. I don't know what they cost her, but they didn't cost me anything to pay into my account. Now, of course, she just buys us Amazon vouchers!

If you decide to go down the International Money Order route, you may need to find out what name the Community's bank account is in, as I think they were made out to me, like a cheque would be.[/quote]
Don't know if this would apply, but you can do international transfers with Paypal, and it doesn't cost nearly as much as a bank transfer does.

[quote name='Laudem Gloriae' post='1932473' date='Jul 26 2009, 03:41 PM'][/quote]

Laudem, what a great post. Unfortunately I'm pressed for time these days and won't have the time I need to respond to all that you wrote but I do want to add my congratulations and prayers to all the rest. May Jesus who loves us all more than we can imagine continue to draw you ever closer to Himself in the love of the Father and the power of the Holy Spirit....oh and St. Joseph, please get "on the stick" with Laudem's house. :)

Pax,
osap

Laudem Gloriae

I finally got to upload the pictures I took at Sheffield Carmel. Unfortunately and very maddeningly!, my camera was acting crazy and often the pictures I took didn't take! So I only have 13 out of a ton that I tried to take. As it is one picture of the chapel's altar is very dark.

It is in the same photo album on Photo Bucket that I posted before but these new 13 pictures are the first 13 pictures in this album.

Seeing these pictures brought back so many memories and I am even MORE homesick! I feel like I am on a horrid vacation or something here and away from my real home - Sheffield! I remember praying many long hours on that prie-dieu (spelling?!) in front of Our Lady's altar in the chapel (picture taken).

Of course, I would never be obnoxious or invasive and take pictures of the sisters behind their grilles so I have none of those - other than the "pictures" them in my heart and mind! There was so many pictures I took that were wonderful and showed other parts of the monastery I had access too but didn't come out! Drats!

I did add descriptions to each of these new 13 pictures but you have click on each picture to see them. I was trying to get a clear picture of the nun's communion window without stepping up on the altar. Mother Mary told me to get a folding chair that was in the sacristy and place it at the foot of the the big St. Therese statue in the chapel as it is near the choir and I could hear them recite the Divine Office so I spent many hours at St. Therese's feet reciting the Office with the nuns! The picture of the back of the chapel and it's doors is a confessional to the right, a little hard to see.

The chapel may look "plain" compared to others, but there is a BIG difference in seeing it in pictures and then being there in person! I couldn't get the huge window way up in the walls over the altar, sides of the chapel, over Our Lady's altar as the sun (yes, there was some sun in England!) and as it was too bright, I didn't take them. You can see them a bit behind the altar in 2 pictures. But this chapel suits these Carmelites and their life - austere, stark but so beautiful and there you attention IS focused on the tabernacle, Our Lady or St. Therese statue for prayer and then the priest, Jesus in the tabernacle during mass and NOT elsewhere.

I have been in other communities of various orders and their chapels were much more ornate and beautiful and I did find myself being distracted by looking around at the incredible, ornate beauty of these chapels - which is fine but not during mass or prayer! There is nothing wrong with these beautiful chapels as they are for God and I did love them but I did notice my attention focused more in Sheffield - probably also because it is my home!

[url="http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss140/jmjtcarmelite/"]http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss140/jmjtcarmelite/[/url]

Laudem, thanks for these wonderful pictures. I happen to think the chapel is not plain at all, but truly beautiful, simple and "perfect."

I may be a Benedictine but everything you've shared about your Carmel - especially the pictures - makes my monastic heart sing. It's all just PERFECT and right.

Gorgeous.

Laudem Gloriae

Thank you Dame Agnes. To me, the Sheffield Carmel IS the most beautiful in the world! lol! But there is just something with the brick and all - and as I posted before the EXTREME silence is incredible! You almost think you hear the angles whispering!

By His Grace Alone

Laudem...................thank you for taking the time to post all those wonderful pictures! For a moment I almost thought it was the chapel in Eindhoven until I looked more closely. As always, I am praying for you!

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

Dear Laudem,

Our entire family has held you in prayer and together we rejoice in your fantastic news!

Your story has very special meaning for me, for when my sister (blood-sister) wanted to enter Carmel and was turned away because of her age, she left for England where she had the happiest and most loving experience within a beautiful community.

What the United States has lost, Britain has gained. (Again!)

Congratulations on on your perseverence...how could any community refuse such obedience and commitment??

We are now starting a Novena in your honor to Holy Saint Joseph for your house.

With a big smile and much love, pax!!!

TradMom

[quote name='TradMom' post='1940646' date='Aug 4 2009, 04:36 PM']+Praised be Jesus Christ!

Dear Laudem,

Our entire family has held you in prayer and together we rejoice in your fantastic news!

Your story has very special meaning for me, for when my sister (blood-sister) wanted to enter Carmel and was turned away because of her age, she left for England where she had the happiest and most loving experience within a beautiful community.

What the United States has lost, Britain has gained. (Again!)

Congratulations on on your perseverence...how could any community refuse such obedience and commitment??

We are now starting a Novena in your honor to Holy Saint Joseph for your house.

With a big smile and much love, pax!!!

TradMom[/quote]

How exciting that your sister was able to find her heart's desire in another country. Many blessings to her for her willing to cross the pond to give her yes.

What age was she when she entered?

• 4 weeks later...
Laudem Gloriae

Dear InHisLove726,

I am still selling my house. I have several interested buyers but I only need one! Please join me in harassing St. Joseph in getting him to sell it for me fast! Poor St. Joseph! He must be sick of me by now! But then I'm hoping he'll eventually say, "Oh alright already! Such a nag you are! I'll send you a buyer if you leave me alone"! Ha! But I know he wouldn't be grumpy and say that but I wouldn't mind if he did if only he'd send a buyer!

• 2 years later...

As far as I know, Laudem is still discerning with this Carmel, but she needs financial help to enter. She hasn't had any luck selling her house (unless things have changed). Let's nag St. Joseph! ;)