An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Possesses Anti-catholics To Come Here?

T-Bone _

I was still Catholic until I spent time on this forum. I think I'm now a non-practicing Catholic.

I guess I'm just still lingering.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1932538' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:02 PM']I was still Catholic until I spent time on this forum. I think I'm now a non-practicing Catholic.

I guess I'm just still lingering.[/quote]

You're not anti-though.

I'm talking about the people that come here just to cause trouble.

There is a big difference between someone who is clearly anti-Catholic, and some who is a non-Catholic. I'd like to think we show charity to the latter and patience with the former. Why the anti's come? I have never been able to understand the pull of being a troll.

I discovered PM accidentally when I searched for an article on Dimebag Darrell. Some of my posts are insensitive and trollish but forgive me, I'm trying hard not to be

Edited by Varg

Fidei Defensor

Because its good to be able to defend your thinking and beliefs. At least, that's why I stay around.

I was probably what you would define a troll as once. I argued about everything, seemingly for the sake of arguing. But really, the reason I was so adamant about my point of view was because I really thought I was right. I honestly don't think I was a "troll".

And actually... I'm a pretty good example of someone who could have seemed like a hopeless anti-Catholic, anti-Christian troll that turned out not to be hopeless because someone was patient with me. I can't say that it was an internet argument per se that caused me to change, but it did influence me... finally got me to think about things... and caused me to really consider why I had the firm opinions that I did. Personally, I found that I just really did not know what I was talking about most of the time. But thankfully, people still treated me with kindness and patience, and it did make a difference, though I'm sure they didn't know that. (It was another forum or two, for the most part.)

I don't really get into arguments as much any more... I don't think I'm particularly good at it, but I do read them. I do think I benefit from perspectives that, nonetheless, I may completely disagree with. It's good to know how people reason out opinions that seem ridiculous to you, because they really believe in them. They think you're ridiculous, usually. But I think it takes practice to be patient with people that you disagree with about basically everything. It's important to remember that even when you know they're in error, and they seem obstinate about being in error, you should still give them the respect they deserve and not ignore them.

I can't remember how she said it exactly, but someone told me once that if you treat someone with respect that has not earned it, one day they will earn that respect you gave them. Sometimes needed to be treated better than they have merited in order for them to see the dignity that they should act according to and want to achieve... if that makes sense.

They want converts.
I am not always the most patient man, and my irascibility makes me a bad debater with anti-catholics. But I think with our most recent one, Pete waldo, I finally managed to restrain myself somewhat :)

Gregoriana of Nyssa

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1932547' date='Jul 26 2009, 03:11 PM']I have never been able to understand the pull of being a troll.[/quote]

Me neither. But then, I don't understand the pull of meanness in general. :P

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1932586' date='Jul 26 2009, 06:05 PM']Some people just like to stir the pot.[/quote]

No they don't.

:cool:

Some are really confused and seeking the truth. I wonder if they think they found it and want one of us to explain why the Catholic Church is the truth. In this quest they must constantly remind themselves why they are so anti Catholic and so defend their position. They wonder if someone can find the holes. If that is not true, they would shake the dust (no pun intended) and leave. I agree the Holy Spirit sends them.