An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Had The Chance To Stay Back...

Selah

If you had a chance to give up heaven for a little longer to help a person find God, would you?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Everyone else was making polls, and I didn't want to feel left out :(

:topsy:

edit: fixed. Ugh, stupid poll thing <_<

Edited by Selah

[quote name='Selah' post='1932655' date='Jul 26 2009, 06:12 PM']Ah, sweet! ^_^

What did you vote, though? :unsure:[/quote]

"Other...Specify" :unsure:

TeresaBenedicta

Other...

I would do whichever that the Lord thinks would be best for that person and for me. It may very well be best for both of us if I were to be in Heaven praying for that person.

I'd hope God would let me know what he wanted me to do. He probably wouldn't get through to me though.

This was tough... my first thought was, well... yeah, I would want to stay and help someone else. Then I thought, no, I would want to do what God wanted me to do...

But the way the question is phrased really puts it on me... I'm already dying, set to die... because that's what God wants. If He wanted me to live longer to help someone than I would not be dying...

I think if something like this were really to happen, it would really mean that God just wanted you to make that choice... almost like He really did not have a preference one way or the other, He just wants me to choose.

And then, when you think about it... the souls in heaven are much more powerful than they were on earth, by virtue of their closeness with God.

And I've heard it said that the closeness the saints have with God in Heaven is such that its impossible for them to desire earth again... so if this means tasting heaven and then choosing to forego it for a period of time, I don't think anyone would choose to do that. Unless God did somehow reveal to them that was what he wanted, and gave them the grace to do so... but the way the question is phrased, it doesn't sound like God did prefer either choice.

So I selected other, but I think... really my answer is probably no. But what do I know? :idontknow:

You know, if I had a choice, I would probably give uo heaven for just a little longer. If someone really needed help so badly that God would bring it up to me, it must be important!

[quote name='Selah' post='1932810' date='Jul 26 2009, 10:57 PM']You know, if I had a choice, I would probably give uo heaven for just a little longer. If someone really needed help so badly that God would bring it up to me, it must be important![/quote]

I remember praying to God at times that I could exchange my salvation for my little brothers and parents. Particularly my little brother, as he wasn’t really living in the faith and I was usually in a state of grace of some sort. Although my parents used Birth Control so I was worried about them as well. So I'm reasonably sure my actual answer would follow in this vein, of going back.

However in the Scriptures the Rich Man begged Abraham (?) to allow him to warn his brothers, and Abraham said that if they would not be warned by the Scriptures, Prophets et cetera (sorry, it's been a while since I read the Bible) then they wouldn't be convinced by him.

Soooo.....yeah :unsure:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I said no because (if I was going straight there) there is much that you can do for that person in heaven.

I'd stay. The thought of anyone not getting to heaven is terribly painful for me. If staying could offer even the smallest grace, I'd do it without hesitation. I'm here in the world right now; I might as well make myself useful...:)

LouisvilleFan

Hmm... I'm surprised so many people would stay back. It's a no-brainer for me: I'd go straight to heaven, baby. In heaven I'll pray for my friend and, since I'm in heaven, my prayers will be more effective. Plus, since I'm not on earth, I won't have to worry about giving a poor witness ;)

But the bottom line is God has converted several billion people and I have converted... maybe one or two indirectly.