An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Don't Really Know How To React To This...

VeniteAdoremus

When given invitations to "holy unions" by my gay clients, I wrote a note that said it wouldn't be appropriate for me to attend the service itself, but I would be happy to attend the reception to celebrate their happiness. I did attend one of the services, out of curiosity, I couldn't resist. I basically waited until it started, and quietly sat in the back. It was decidedly strange, but they did seem happy, at least for the day.

[quote name='kamiller42' post='1933815' date='Jul 28 2009, 09:30 AM']I would say it's because I like you as a friend that I can't go. If I didn't like you or care about you, I would attend. I can't support something I know is harmful you for even if you don't see it that way. It may feel right, but feelings do not decide what is objectively right or wrong. I hope you understand and respect where I am coming from.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i think this is a great response :thumbsup:

Polite request: could you please stop putting "+J.M.J.+" in every single post? It's really irritating...Couldn't you put it in your signature or something?

[quote name='Varg' post='1933857' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:23 AM']Polite request: could you please stop putting "+J.M.J.+" in every single post? It's really irritating...Couldn't you put it in your signature or something?[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
polite response: no. :) why does it irritate you? it means Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, (the plus signs are meant to be crosses, but i don't know how to make crosses show up :unsure:) and reminds me to try to be charitable in my responses to others. if it irritates you, put me on ignore, i don't mind. :)

Deus te Amat

[quote name='Varg' post='1933857' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:23 PM']Polite request: could you please stop putting "+J.M.J.+" in every single post? It's really irritating...Couldn't you put it in your signature or something?[/quote]

The point of it is to be a direct reminder of the cross, and Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. It's supposed to remind the person writing that their words should be thought and written in the example of the Holy Family. It wouldn't work if it was in the signature.

I think it's great that you do it, Red. I start all my journal pages with J.M.J. :love:

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1933863' date='Jul 28 2009, 11:28 AM']The point of it is to be a direct reminder of the cross, and Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. It's supposed to remind the person writing that their words should be thought and written in the example of the Holy Family. It wouldn't work if it was in the signature.[/quote]

:yes:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1933861' date='Jul 28 2009, 11:27 AM']+J.M.J.+
polite response: no. :) why does it irritate you? it means Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, (the plus signs are meant to be crosses, but i don't know how to make crosses show up :unsure:) and reminds me to try to be charitable in my responses to others. if it irritates you, put me on ignore, i don't mind. :)[/quote]Oh, I thought it was like some "reppin' da N-Dubz crew" thing or your initials or something. Lol :-P

Edited by Varg

[quote name='Varg' post='1933872' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:37 AM']Oh, I thought it was like some "reppin' da N-Dubz crew" thing or your initials or something. Lol :-P[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:lol_pound: okay, that's phunny. no wonder you were irritated. :hehe:

This is offered in jest, but only partly - I learned it from Aunt A when Aunt B was marrying a divorced non-Catholic outside of the Church:

GO! - And give them a rosary for a wedding present!

eagle_eye222001

Sorry you have such a hard decision to make. It's times like these we wish we could just make everyone happy. However such is not realistic, and it is sad to realize that if we believe what we believe, we need to make a stand somewhere.

:sign:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/linkin+park/track/what+ive+done"]Linkin Park - What I've Done[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

Difficult situation, I feel for the dilemma, :detective: you can support your friend without supporting the idea of gay marriage. I've attended ceremonies in Protestant churches which I didn't adhere to obviously. My presence was not a blanket statement of my support of all that they believe.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='cappie' post='1934252' date='Jul 28 2009, 05:43 PM']Difficult situation, I feel for the dilemma, :detective: you can support your friend without supporting the idea of gay marriage. I've attended ceremonies in Protestant churches which I didn't adhere to obviously. My presence was not a blanket statement of my support of all that they believe.[/quote]
Would you attend something like that dressed as a priest without causing scandal? Honestly curious, like if there's some sort of rule about wearing a collar, etc...?

princessgianna

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1933772' date='Jul 28 2009, 08:35 AM']I see nothing wrong with giving your friends the gift of presence. Being there doesn't mean you agree with their choices, though if you can find a way to tactfully express that while making it clear that you'll continue to be there for them and pray for them, then there won't be any confusion about your intentions and they'll know where to turn many years from now should they want to follow Christ.

If it's too much for you, then maybe you shouldn't be there. I just hate to see so many Christians' first reaction to be withdrawing from the very people who need us most. As long as we aren't allowing the world to influence us, we need to be out there.[/quote]
Being there for a marriage is an act of agreeing and supporting with it.

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1934430' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:10 PM']Being there for a marriage is an act of agreeing and supporting with it.[/quote]

IAWTC.