An Old School Catholic Message Board

Facing Gay Rift, Anglican Sees ‘two-track’ Church

kenrockthefirst

kenrockthefirst

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/world/europe/29church.html?hp"]Facing Gay Rift, Anglican Sees ‘Two-Track’ Church[/url]

This is what happens when you kick authority to the curb / kerb.

I hope that disunity will increase among the Anglicans so that the more conservative ones will be led to the seek unity with the Catholic Church.

Edited by Resurrexi

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1933790' date='Jul 28 2009, 05:30 PM']I hope that disunity will increase among the Anglicans so that the more conservative ones will be led to the seek unity with the Catholic Church.[/quote]

I hope unity will increase among the Anglicans so that they may all be led to the Catholic Church...

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1933804' date='Jul 28 2009, 06:08 PM']Door to St. Peters is always open... (figuratively speaking) :popcorn:[/quote]

Two churches I was in last week:

1. Purple wall paint, brown carpet, tabernacle looks like a parrot case
2. 15 side chapels (each devoted to a Mystery of the Rosary), first thing you see upon entrance is a 19th-century statue of St. Dominic, tabernacle chapel is directly above and behind the main altar

Guess which one is RC and which one Anglican :(

They have a lot more to overcome than doctrinal issues :(

Deus te Amat

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1933809' date='Jul 28 2009, 11:20 AM']2. 15 side chapels (each devoted to a Mystery of the Rosary), first thing you see upon entrance is a 19th-century statue of St. Dominic, tabernacle chapel is directly above and behind the main altar[/quote]

:love:

Where can I find this wondrous sounding Church?!

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1933816' date='Jul 28 2009, 06:33 PM']:love:

Where can I find this wondrous sounding Church?![/quote]

Come with us on the fifth annual John Paul II pilgrimage for the Conversion of England next year and I will take you there personally. :yes:

It is the [b]Anglican[/b] [url="http://www.walsinghamanglican.org.uk/welcome/index.htm"]shrine to Our Lady of Walsingham[/url], and my description does not do it justice in the least. :no:

The High Altar is made out of stones from, according to a quick count, at least a dozen priories/monasteries that were ruined upon order of Henry VIII, whose soul is in dire need of our prayers*.

The Shrine is built around a "reproduction" of the Holy Family's house in Nazareth, complete with be-mantelled Virgin:
[img]http://www.walsinghamanglican.org.uk/welcome/images/pic_shrine-inside.jpg[/img]

My guess is that in the actual Holy House there was a little less gold. But it's magnificent. No words.

Or you could, you know, go to the Catholic church, which looks like this:
[img]http://www.walsingham.org.uk/romancatholic/images/cofrint.JPG[/img]

:mellow:

*To be honest, I first wrote "may he rot in purgatory for a very long time".

Deus te Amat

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1933834' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:07 PM']Come with us on the fifth annual John Paul II pilgrimage for the Conversion of England next year and I will take you there personally. :yes:

It is the [b]Anglican[/b] [url="http://www.walsinghamanglican.org.uk/welcome/index.htm"]shrine to Our Lady of Walsingham[/url], and my description does not do it justice in the least. :no:

The High Altar is made out of stones from, according to a quick count, at least a dozen priories/monasteries that were ruined upon order of Henry VIII, whose soul is in dire need of our prayers*.

The Shrine is built around a "reproduction" of the Holy Family's house in Nazareth, complete with be-mantelled Virgin:

My guess is that in the actual Holy House there was a little less gold. But it's magnificent. No words.

Or you could, you know, go to the Catholic church, which looks like this:

:mellow:

*To be honest, I first wrote "may he rot in purgatory for a very long time".[/quote]

:lol: I'm going to really miss you. When is the pilgrimage? If you say May/earlyJune I'm totally there.

\end{hijack} :whistle:

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1933848' date='Jul 28 2009, 07:12 PM']:lol: I'm going to really miss you. When is the pilgrimage? If you say May/earlyJune I'm totally there.

\end{hijack} :whistle:[/quote]

Aww thanks :) I'm afraid it's going to be July, like this year. But no worries! Just stay at the convent until then! ;)

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1933831' date='Jul 28 2009, 07:03 PM']So I wonder what they will end up naming these two churches?[/quote]

Chances are they won't name them anything. The Episcopal Church is already practising this idea - and different dioceses or parishes could just state they are "aligned with the Episcopal Church" or "living the diversity of the Gospel in community with the American Episcopal Church". The others would say they are "Devoted to the unity and traditions of the Anglican Communion".

All this seems very strange to us (I know it does to me!) but to Anglicans, it's not so weird. Most of the opposition is not so much against Dr. Williams' view of what a church (ecclesiastical community) should be, but seems to be disappointment from both sides that he isn't more openly siding with them.

Anglicans in Great Britain have "solved" the wimminpriest problem by instating "flying bishops", who do not have a diocese based on region, but one which consists of parishes who decided they wanted a male priest and a male bishop. They don't have much of a problem with the priest in the next parish being a lady as long as they don't have to. This is how Anglicans work.

A converted Anglican friend makes sure to remind me time and time again that Anglicanism totally makes sense from the inside.

So don't expect too many conversions - if they didn't cross the Tiber on the women priest issue, they probably won't do it now, either. And at least in the UK the unfortunate reality is that "high" Anglicans have churches, music and liturgies that are (except for their validity, but this is, again, seen from the RC perspective) [b]vastly[/b] superior to the great majority of the RC parishes.

See my post above: a picture from a place that, to Anglicans, is [i]technically[/i] only a historical and architectural curiosity (if a dear one), but infinitely more beautiful than what is supposed to be the Catholic National Shrine of Our Lady.

:scratchhead: We're doing it wrong.

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1933794' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:49 AM']I hope unity will increase among the Anglicans so that they may all be led to the Catholic Church...[/quote]

That is a nice thought when coupled wit hgood intents, but it would be better if they would come to the Church through a loving will of their own rather than by disaster or schism.

Fortunately, God has the ultimate plan for us all.

"To be honest, I first wrote "may he rot in purgatory for a very long time".

Well, perhaps not rot, but definitely suffer (purely for the sake of repentance, of course). :rolleyes:

Edited by Luigi

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1934026' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:46 PM']:scratchhead: We're doing it wrong.[/quote]
[b][size=4][font="Arial Black"]LITURGY:
UR DOIN IT WRONG[/font][/size][/b]
[img]http://www.walsingham.org.uk/romancatholic/images/cofrint.JPG[/img]

:mellow: okay, that was the best i could come up with on a moment's notice. :lol:

[quote name='Didacus' post='1934055' date='Jul 28 2009, 03:01 PM']That is a nice thought when coupled wit hgood intents, but it would be better if they would come to the Church through a loving will of their own rather than by disaster or schism.

Fortunately, God has the ultimate plan for us all.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure she's in agreement with you. She said that she wished for unity among the Anglican church rather than schism, and that they all may come home to the Catholic Church.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1933794' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:49 AM']I hope unity will increase among the Anglicans so that they may all be led to the Catholic Church...[/quote]

I share your sentiment. Always hope for unity, not disunity.

Wish for peace, unity, accord, and freedom upon people. Hoping for disunity, and for things to be made to happen through force, is betting on a path that only leads to further disunity.