An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's The Most Spiritual Thing That You've Ever Done?

Lounge Daddy

InHisLove726

I think my most spiritual [i]experiences[/i] have been to receive the Sacraments (especially Holy Communion), and discern religious life, both of which were God-initiated. ;)

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1937311' date='Jul 31 2009, 09:54 PM']Really can't think of anything offhand.....kinda makes me feel left out and unspiritual. :mellow:[/quote]
Most of the things people are posting were experienced when they were older than you are yet. Don't worry about it. :)

[quote name='philothea' post='1937280' date='Jul 31 2009, 11:26 PM']It's not too late!

Let us know how it goes. ;)

:twothumbsup:[/quote]

Thanks, I will. :)

Deus te Amat

I didn't know what I would have said in this topic, other than the Sacraments and Adoration, until today -- I just got back from visiting residents at a nursing home.

I realized that one of the biggest spiritual transformations in my life occurred when I started visiting nursing homes three years ago. It was so humbling for me to realize that I started going to impact their life, but I kept going for the impact they made on mine.

I could say so much more, but I don't want to hijack the thread. If I should say more, let me know. :love:

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='philothea' post='1937928' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:36 AM']Most of the things people are posting were experienced when they were older than you are yet. Don't worry about it. :)[/quote]

Ya, I agree. And don't forget that there is a difference between "spiritual" and "religious."

Religious things should be spiritual, of course. But going to college can (and I think, should) be spiritual too. Finding one's way through life, helping another person. Having a child. Picking up litter. Planing a garden. All that can (and, really, should) become spiritual.

To date, aside from overtly spiritual things like Easter Vigil and Mass in general, I can think of three or four specific experiences in which I felt profoundly spiritually affected. These are times where I could "feel God's pleasure," as Eric Liddell says in [i]Chariots of Fire[/i]

One time I was writing a story about a person's experiences living with cancer. There was a point in the writing when I felt as though I was participating in something holy.

Singing Beethoven's Ninth Symphony with a full symphony and choir was incredibly lovely. I felt as though I were tasting a bit of heaven.

Sometimes when riding my bike I've felt as though I were experiencing a communion of sort.

Many moments with my husband have been profoundly spiritual as well.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1938192' date='Aug 1 2009, 05:39 PM']Many moments with my husband have been profoundly spiritual as well.[/quote]

Yes, I agree with that, I'm just always cautious about saying such things in front of the "kids."

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1938202' date='Aug 1 2009, 06:48 PM']Yes, I agree with that, I'm just always cautious about saying such things in front of the "kids."[/quote]
:yes:

I didn't (and don't) want to go into details because these are such powerful moments and deeply personal.