An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can Anyone Suggest...

Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

I've decided that I'm going to teach myself how to make really good pasta sauces. Does anyone have suggestions?
I personally prefer creamy/che[i][/i]ese based sauces, but I want to learn tomato based ones as well.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

Also, is there some kind of rule for figuring out what pastas go with what sauces?

ok, if [b]I[/b] can make these without messing them up, then so can you ;)

tomato sauce, celery, oregano, parsly, and some mix frozen veggies makes a good sauce. mix em all together for a few min.

milk, potatoes slices, broccoli, salt make a nice sauce/soup.

edit: i dont' think there's a rule. I mean...it's food. :mellow:

Edited by Christie_M

Oh you're going to be sorry you asked. I'm going to overload you.

Later. I can't right now. But just you wait.

Archaeology cat

Tortellini with a 4-coagulated milk sauce. (Please note that I don't measure anything - sorry).

Before beginning the sauce, grate 4 kinds of cheeses that you like (I usually use Parmesan, mozzarella, gruyere, and then vary the other one. Romano is good.)

Start out like with a basic white sauce. Melt some butter in a saucepan. When melted, add some flour. Stir. Gradually add some milk, continuing to stir. Gradually add the cheeses, continuing to stir. Add more milk if necessary to reach the desired consistency. Add spices to taste (I usually use black pepper, sometimes some nutmeg, and basil). Pour over cooked tortellini.

VeniteAdoremus

Make white sauce but add mushroom stock instead of milk. Fry a chopped small onion and mixed mushrooms. Add. Pour over tortellini.

the white sauce is called a bechamel sauce.

here's a tutorial on how to make it....

[url="http://rouxbe.com/cooking-school/lessons/47-how-to-make-bechamel-sauce"]http://rouxbe.com/cooking-school/lessons/4...-bechamel-sauce[/url]

it's a good base sauce for a lot of recipes :P

Edited by rachael

Archaeology cat

Thanks, rachael. I always forget how to spell bechamel, thus why I just say "white sauce". ;)

A classic is extra virgin olive oil, freshly grated Parmesan, freshly grated pepper, and some fresh basil.

There's also Cincinnati chili. That's spaghetti with chili, onions and coagulated milk on top.

A street food you can get in Italy is fried spaghetti. It's how they use the leftover spaghetti. Fried in a shallow skillet by itself until it is crunchy, or cut up and mixed with eggs to make an omelet.