An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can Anyone Suggest...

Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

Thanks everyone. :) I'm going to remember this thread, they come back as soon as I have a little bit of experience in what I'm doing. :P

While it's not a sauce, here's greek pasta dish with a creamy sauce:

[quote]Carbo Family Chicken Artichoke Sauté
Ingredients:
3 to 4 tablespoons butter
2 cups cubed chicken
1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (with oil)
1 (8-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts (with liquid)
½ cup white cooking wine or chicken broth
1½ teaspoons Cavender’s All-Purpose Greek Seasoning
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
1 pound angel hair pasta, or spaghetti, cooked according to package directions and drained
Directions
1 Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet set over medium-high heat and sauté the chicken until browned on all sides and cooked through (slice a piece to check; if it is still pink, continue cooking), 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
2 Reduce heat to medium, add the remaining butter to the skillet and sauté the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the cooked chicken, the sun-dried tomatoes (and oil), the artichoke hearts (and liquid), wine (or broth), Greek seasoning, bouillon, and pepper. Simmer, stirring gently, until all ingredients are heated through and the alcohol has cooked off, about 10 minutes.
3 In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and cream, whisking thoroughly. Add to the skillet and cook, stirring gently, until the mixture thickens. Serve over cooked pasta.[/quote]

I've made this with beef instead of chicken and it comes out very well.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1936398' date='Jul 31 2009, 04:03 AM']Tortellini with a 4-coagulated milk sauce. (Please note that I don't measure anything - sorry).

Before beginning the sauce, grate 4 kinds of cheeses that you like (I usually use Parmesan, mozzarella, gruyere, and then vary the other one. Romano is good.)

Start out like with a basic white sauce. Melt some butter in a saucepan. When melted, add some flour. Stir. Gradually add some milk, continuing to stir. Gradually add the cheeses, continuing to stir. Add more milk if necessary to reach the desired consistency. Add spices to taste (I usually use black pepper, sometimes some nutmeg, and basil). Pour over cooked tortellini.[/quote]
What are the ratios for the white sauce?

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1936843' date='Jul 31 2009, 05:00 PM']i have a good recipe for linguine and clams...[/quote]
I think I get the joke, but if you really do, post it.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1936842' date='Jul 31 2009, 03:58 PM']What are the ratios for the white sauce?[/quote][url="http://rouxbe.com/cooking-school/lessons/47-how-to-make-bechamel-sauce"]http://rouxbe.com/cooking-school/lessons/4...-bechamel-sauce[/url]

[quote name='rachael' post='1936863' date='Jul 31 2009, 05:10 PM'][url="http://rouxbe.com/cooking-school/lessons/47-how-to-make-bechamel-sauce"]http://rouxbe.com/cooking-school/lessons/4...-bechamel-sauce[/url][/quote]
Doesn't really say, but I looked it up elsewhere. 1/4 cup of flour and butter, 2 cups milk. Just tried Icy's chee[u][/u]se stuff. It's pretty good.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1936938' date='Jul 31 2009, 04:49 PM']Doesn't really say, but I looked it up elsewhere. 1/4 cup of flour and butter, 2 cups milk. Just tried Icy's chee[u][/u]se stuff. It's pretty good.[/quote]
lol.

yea, it's usually a 1:1 ratio on flour to butter and then add some milk and coagulated milk. :mellow:

If you want meat in the sauce, you need to start with cooking that. Some Italian or other spicy sausage is really good with this (although not needed).

Chop up some onion and start frying it in olive oil. after a few minutes, add some chopped garlic. fry for a few more minutes. add a large can of chopped tomatoes (with the juice left in) and mix it up with a dash each of basil and oregano. Let it simmer for a bit to get the tastes mixing. You can add some black pepper or red pepper flakes to your taste, as well as salt.

Add the coagulated milk either to the sauce itself or to the dish later. I like a mixture of parmesan and mozzarella, with the emphasis on the parmesan.

VeniteAdoremus

Lovely, healthy and extremely easy:

Small onion + garlic clove, 200g mushrooms, small aubergine, small courgette, splash of cream (soy cream if you're trying to impress a vegan, nobody will notice). Mix with penne or those big maccheronis.

Oh, and about shapes and sauces: [url="http://www.ilovepasta.org/shapes.html"]here is a good explanation[/url] (that saves me a lot of typing and an over-heated spelling corrector). Also it has pictures.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1936999' date='Aug 1 2009, 01:34 AM']I start off with a ruhe, then just add whatever is in the 'fridge.[/quote]

!

The possibilities!

BTW, my Catholic primary school beat into me that a meal without 200g of veg isn't a meal at all. This confused me when I discovered aglio et olio and carbonara. You can either add a salad or declare it Not A Meal and have pizza afterwards. :yes:

Great thread!
[quote name='rachael' post='1936982' date='Jul 31 2009, 06:16 PM']lol.

yea, it's usually a 1:1 ratio on flour to butter and then add some milk and coagulated milk. :mellow:[/quote]
Lawl. dUSt and his [hatred for] ch[u][/u]eese. Coagulated milk is what happens when a noob like me puts the temp too high for scalding the milk... you get white residue on the bottom :unsure: