An Old School Catholic Message Board

Don't You Just Hate It...

InHisLove726

InHisLove726

...When computers have problems! Mine was stuck in restart mode from the dreaded July 26th update. This is what it would show:

[quote]Configuring updates: Update 3 of 3: 0% complete
Do not shut down computer...[/quote]

But it would hang on that for a few seconds and then shut down and be in a loop. :bomb: :madrant: :maddest:

Fortunately, we have a desktop computer, so I went online and looked up "stuck in restart loop update vista" and found several solutions, none of which would work until I found one that showed how to start from F8 and then change the registry. It gave me the blue screen (aka "blue screen of death") afterwards and then restarted, and asked if I wanted to restore, to which I clicked yes. It took a while, and then it started up to the update screen again, but this time, it showed this:

[quote]Configuring updates: Update 1 of 3: 100% complete[/quote]

Then it went to the update 3 and showed 100%! I thought, "PROGRESS!!!!" and prayed that the computer would start up. It did! I showed my computer who's boss! LOL! :boxer: Beat that problem down!

Thank God for online technical solutions and for God blessing me with the gift of being able to follow solutions. :D

I also turned off automatic updates per a technical guide online. ;)

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!

Edited by InHisLove726

InHisLove726

[quote name='Varg' post='1937793' date='Aug 1 2009, 06:11 AM']I hate it too! My computer always seems to have some sort of problem :([/quote]

I was just glad I was able to figure out what to do to stop the restart loop. It drove me nuts for 2 full hours! :madder:

VeniteAdoremus

Wow! Was this your first registry hack?

I'm so proud of you... all grown up... so fast... :sadder:

Seriously, really cool :)

I have a mac. Macs just work, you don't have to do anything. But somehow people still think you're a whiz. Win-win!

Microsoft has really given us a mess. Every time I run into a computer professional I ask them what computer they have at home. The majority of them have Apples. Why? Because Windows drove them crazy and Apple has a nice operating system with much fewer problems. And they all tell me that Microsoft could fix Windows once and for all but just can't be bothered.

S.

InHisLove726

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1937807' date='Aug 1 2009, 07:00 AM']Wow! Was this your first registry hack?

I'm so proud of you... all grown up... so fast... :sadder:

Seriously, really cool :)

I have a mac. Macs just work, you don't have to do anything. But somehow people still think you're a whiz. Win-win![/quote]

I want a Mac, but I can't afford it. :sadder: I bought probably the cheapest Toshiba laptop on the market in April this year.

I know...I am growing up so fast. :rolleyes:

I'm a big kid now! :flex: (gosh...those Pull-Up commercial jingles are CATCHY! :huh: )

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Skinzo' post='1937810' date='Aug 1 2009, 12:02 PM']Microsoft has really given us a mess. Every time I run into a computer professional I ask them what computer they have at home. The majority of them have Apples. Why? Because Windows drove them crazy and Apple has a nice operating system with much fewer problems. And they all tell me that Microsoft could fix Windows once and for all but just can't be bothered.

S.[/quote]
Yeah, my brother is a software engineer, and has totally switched over to mac at home now.

InHisLove726

[quote name='Skinzo' post='1937810' date='Aug 1 2009, 07:02 AM']Microsoft has really given us a mess. Every time I run into a computer professional I ask them what computer they have at home. The majority of them have Apples. Why? Because Windows drove them crazy and Apple has a nice operating system with much fewer problems. And they all tell me that Microsoft could fix Windows once and for all but just can't be bothered.

S.[/quote]

Perhaps it's a plot to take over the world with Macs. Maybe Bill Gates secretly owns Apple. :evil:

Seriously, I kid.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1937959' date='Aug 1 2009, 10:47 AM']This is why I haven't updated to Vista.[/quote]
Smart choice. Neither have I. I love XP far too much, especially now since I've worked with Vista.

When my husband's laptop broke, and I mean broke flopped open, I had to buy a off-lease from Tiger in order to get one with XP. He doesn't do change well.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1937985' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:10 AM']When my husband's laptop broke, and I mean broke flopped open, I had to buy a off-lease from Tiger in order to get one with XP. He doesn't do change well.[/quote]
My laptop was a graduation gift and I think my dad paid a pretty penny to get it with XP. At the time, I didn't care either way, but he doesn't do change very well, either, and insisted upon having XP on it.

InHisLove726

Well, it did it again! :madrant: Apparently, my mom's computer at work has been affected too, and the tech guy told her it was from the July 26th cursed update (it's actually spam; imagine! someone doing this on my birthday of all days :( ). The registry hack didn't work so I tried a system restore, and that worked. Now I'm going to try to find a solution online that will block the July 26th "update" but install everything else.

I want a Mac now... :sadder:

[quote name='Skinzo' post='1937810' date='Aug 1 2009, 07:02 AM']Microsoft has really given us a mess. Every time I run into a computer professional I ask them what computer they have at home. The majority of them have Apples. Why? Because Windows drove them crazy and Apple has a nice operating system with much fewer problems. And they all tell me that Microsoft could fix Windows once and for all but just can't be bothered.

S.[/quote]
If you can call it an OS :hehe:

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1937823' date='Aug 1 2009, 07:28 AM']Yeah, my brother is a software engineer, and has totally switched over to mac at home now.[/quote]
Odd... most of the comp techies at U of T run windows.... :unsure: (they like Linux/Unix too)

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1937966' date='Aug 1 2009, 12:59 PM']Smart choice. Neither have I. I love XP far too much, especially now since I've worked with Vista.[/quote]
I like XP too. I'm looking forward to 7, though. To me, it's the Vista fix (though there are some people out there who strongly agree cause they somehow love Vista).