An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Did Something Yesterday I Haven't Done In 10 Years

homeschoolmom

homeschoolmom
:bike:

I asked HSdad to get the tires of my bike pumped up and yesterday, I rode it around the driveway. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I remember when we first got those bikes back when my dd was very little, though I don't know what I was thinking. I've only ridden it once or twice (I always had a little one who couldn't ride and I knew I could not bike with a carrier). In the last twenty years I could probably count the number of bike rides I've taken on one hand.

Which is funny because before I got my driver's license (and even after, because I didn't have a car), I used to bike around a lot (with my Walkman and no helmet-- I lived dangerously.)

So, now HSson minor is almost six and has been zipping around on a two-wheeler all summer. My other two have not nearly used their bikes to their full extent and they are certainly old enough to. I decided to get back on the bike and try to build myself up to being able to leave the driveway. I hope I don't fall off and break anything.

InHisLove726

Wow, it would take a lot for me to get on my bike again anytime soon. Not to mention that my tires need replacing (the tubes are flat). In this weather, where it reaches 94 degrees almost everyday, I prefer to stay indoors. When I have to go out, I use my car, which, consequently, has no air conditioning. :sadder:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1937831' date='Aug 1 2009, 07:40 AM']Move to the Netherlands ;)[/quote]
Yeah, from what I understand, you pretty much have to have a bike there. But, then again-- no hills.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1937834' date='Aug 1 2009, 07:42 AM']I have not ridden my bicycle for a while either.[/quote]
I hope it has not been ten years. :rolleyes:

InHisLove726

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1937831' date='Aug 1 2009, 07:40 AM']Move to the Netherlands ;)[/quote]

Does Denmark, WI count? :))

homeschoolmom

Ha... okay, I just got back from a little jaunt around the neighborhood (I have to practice when people are still sleeping). Fun times.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1937836' date='Aug 1 2009, 02:44 PM']Does Denmark, WI count? :))[/quote]

Denmark is another country, with another currency, language, political system and culture.

And less bikes.

But apart from that it totally counts ;)

I'm going to miss my bike :( My bike is awesome.

HSmom, you're so cool :) And don't feel bad. This is what the awesome Kristin Armstrong wrote:
[quote]Yes, drum roll please, ladies and gentlemen...brace yourselves, I now own a bike.

This may not seem like that big of a deal unless you stop to consider that the last time I rode a bike was on the back of a tandem bike with Lance at the helm. That was more than five years ago, for sure. My sole cycling experience prior to that was when we were engaged. I was completely clueless and thought that being supportive of his post-cancer cycling comeback could involve training with him. (silly girl) So one day he was out on a long ride and I decided to go meet him on the road. (The last time I rode before this point was on my yellow Huffy with the flower banana seat, mind you.) So I geared up with Oakley glasses, a helmet that kept falling forward because I didn't know how to adjust it, puffy-crotch shorts, a jersey, a full water bottle, socks and clippy shoes. I wheeled a bike from the garage of the house we were staying at in California and rolled the bike out onto the gravel driveway. I swung one leg over the seat like an old pro, clipped one shoe in, then the other, and tried to turn the pedals. The wheel spun once in the gravel, I started losing my balance, tried to get my shoe to unclip to no avail, and promptly fell over (still clipped in) before I ever made one single pedal rotation. I can't remember if I was able to get up or if I had to stay like that until Lance came back, I've blocked that entire part out through extensive therapy sessions.[/quote]

(I am a faithful devotee of her [url="http://milemarkers.runnersworld.com/"]Runner's World blog[/url].)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1937844' date='Aug 1 2009, 08:07 AM']HSmom, you're so cool :) And don't feel bad. This is what the awesome Kristin Armstrong wrote:[/quote]

:lol: That was great. At least I didn't fall over! I, too, once had a bike with a flower banana seat. I wish I did again because those small ten-speed bike seats are not very comfortable.

Archaeology cat

It's only been 3 years since I've ridden a bike. I keep telling myself I'm going to get a bike here, especially since I don't have a car.

InHisLove726

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1937844' date='Aug 1 2009, 08:07 AM']Denmark is another country, with another currency, language, political system and culture.

And less bikes.

But apart from that it totally counts ;)

I'm going to miss my bike :( My bike is awesome.

HSmom, you're so cool :) And don't feel bad. This is what the awesome Kristin Armstrong wrote:

(I am a faithful devotee of her [url="http://milemarkers.runnersworld.com/"]Runner's World blog[/url].)[/quote]

Oh my word! I need to study my geography, don't I?!?!? :blush: I thought Denmark was in the Netherlands! :shock:

Edited by InHisLove726

Archaeology cat

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1937856' date='Aug 1 2009, 01:48 PM']Do it! And get a carrier for your son. Don't wait. I wish I hadn't.[/quote]
I told DH I needed a toddler rickshaw so I could bike around with our son. :hehe:

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1937854' date='Aug 1 2009, 02:43 PM']It's only been 3 years since I've ridden a bike. I keep telling myself I'm going to get a bike here, especially since I don't have a car.[/quote]

When I moved here, I hadn't ridden a bike for thirteen (1...3...) years. And now I can cycle back from the shops, a bag in each pannier bag, one balanced on the back of the bike, with a rucksack with yet more shopping in, [i]and[/i] chuck mild obscenities at the (1)6-year-olds who cut me up. Believe me, there's hope for you!

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1937863' date='Aug 1 2009, 03:04 PM']Oh my word! I need to study my geography, don't I?!?!? :blush: I thought Denmark was in the Netherlands! :shock:[/quote]

And I thought I was bad when I thought Phoenix, AZ was in California... :unsure: