An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Did Something Yesterday I Haven't Done In 10 Years

homeschoolmom

InHisLove726

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1937868' date='Aug 1 2009, 09:33 AM']And I thought I was bad when I thought Phoenix, AZ was in California... :unsure:[/quote]

:hehehe:

VeniteAdoremus

Don't feel too bad ;) There's this summer TV show where they track down Dutch vacationers and make them point out [i]the country they are currently in[/i] on a blind map... and they usually fail.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1937872' date='Aug 1 2009, 09:48 AM']Don't feel too bad ;) There's this summer TV show where they track down Dutch vacationers and make them point out [i]the country they are currently in[/i] on a blind map... and they usually fail.[/quote]
:lol_pound:

I remember before I started work last year I had to cycle my bike there and it was about 6-7 years since I rode a bike. It took maybe a week before I started getting used to it again but yeah it was dodgy lol. I had to ask a friend how do you get off a bike because the way I did it somehow was really awkward, I used to bring my leg over the bar lol.

Keep cycling though and your get confident really soon. Its a good way at keeping fit, and also keep your eye out for cars etc, I very nearly got hit 3 times just going to work and back and yeah I never wore a helmet :doh:

This thread gives me a vision of homeschoolmom with a kerchief on her head riding around the city with Laverne.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Era Might' post='1937876' date='Aug 1 2009, 10:06 AM']This thread gives me a vision of homeschoolmom with a kerchief on her head riding around the city with Laverne.[/quote]
:lol: :lol_roll:

One of my main modivations was my kids. I really want them to be able to ride to more places themselves. Our town has a fairly extensive bike path/sidewalk system, so I think they could do it. They just don't because they don't know how to get anywhere. So, I'm going to teach them. But in order to teach them, I have to do it myself.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Oliver' post='1937875' date='Aug 1 2009, 03:06 PM']I remember before I started work last year I had to cycle my bike there and it was about 6-7 years since I rode a bike. It took maybe a week before I started getting used to it again but yeah it was dodgy lol. I had to ask a friend how do you get off a bike because the way I did it somehow was really awkward, I used to bring my leg over the bar lol.

Keep cycling though and your get confident really soon. Its a good way at keeping fit, and also keep your eye out for cars etc, I very nearly got hit 3 times just going to work and back and yeah I never wore a helmet :doh:[/quote]
I think I bring my leg over the bar, too. I never wore a helmet, either, but I never really rode in the city, either.

I just pulled my bike out of the garage just this week and rode it around for the first time in three years! My oldest son just learned how to ride his bike and I was hoping we could all ride together. I strapped my youngest in the carrier seat and started riding and I thought he would love it, but he pitched a huge fit! That was a bit of a shock.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='marielapin' post='1937918' date='Aug 1 2009, 04:15 PM']I just pulled my bike out of the garage just this week and rode it around for the first time in three years! My oldest son just learned how to ride his bike and I was hoping we could all ride together. I strapped my youngest in the carrier seat and started riding and I thought he would love it, but he pitched a huge fit! That was a bit of a shock.[/quote]
I would have thought he would have liked it, too.

I highly recommend the Hobson [url="http://www.hobsonseats.com/"]EasySeat[/url]. They are the most comfortable bike seat ever. Instead of riding in your crack, there are two seats, one for each cheek. You can adjust them apart for a custom fit, and each side rocks up and down as you pedal alternately kind of like a stair climber.

VeniteAdoremus

I loved being in the carrier seat. I used to either fall asleep or loudly correct my mum's traffic faux passes :)

Do your kids' bikes have a flag attached? I had a small orange flag on a pole back when I was still significantly lower than a car. This makes you visible even when behind cars (and it looks really cool as well). They have them with all kinds of cartoon figures now (and characters from the "Cars" movie, ironically).

[img]http://www.fietsonline.com/bmz_cache/8/800e4a264f7ca23adeb859abfc71a255.image.207x220.JPG[/img]

I also highly recommend getting a good saddle. Mine isn't two different seats like CatherineM's, but it does have an indentation down the middle.

Biking is really fun, and there are LOTS of great places to do it in MN (although you can only do it for about 5 mos.).

Good for you for making the step! :)

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1937936' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:56 AM']I highly recommend the Hobson [url="http://www.hobsonseats.com/"]EasySeat[/url]. They are the most comfortable bike seat ever. Instead of riding in your crack, there are two seats, one for each cheek. You can adjust them apart for a custom fit, and each side rocks up and down as you pedal alternately kind of like a stair climber.[/quote]
I will totally check that seat out ... looks super comfy!

I have been wanting to get out and bike myself, even got a new bike. But I have a (possibly irrational) fear that I would get in an accident of one type or another and harm the baby. So I've chosen to do other exercises -- swimming, walking, etc. Less likely to run into problems with cars or bike-chasing dogs.

Edited by Terra Firma

I'm told the EasySeat is really popular with women after giving birth. They bring them to the gym to use on the exercise bikes for their post-pregnancy workout classes.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1938210' date='Aug 1 2009, 06:53 PM']I'm told the EasySeat is really popular with women after giving birth. They bring them to the gym to use on the exercise bikes for their post-pregnancy workout classes.[/quote]
I can see how it would be more comfortable.

I've seen similar (but not so comfy-looking) seats. The one on my bike now is skinny and hard to adjust to.