An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phatmassers From The Netherlands

Resurrexi

I was wondering if you had visited [url="http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2009/08/st-franciscuz-xaverius-in-amsterdam.html"]this church[/url] before. :)

Edited by Resurrexi

puellapaschalis

Pity he can't spell the word "Franciscus" properly.

All it would have taken was a Google to [url="http://www.krijtberg.nl/"]find out[/url].

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1938201' date='Aug 1 2009, 05:48 PM']Pity he can't spell the word "Franciscus" properly.

All it would have taken was a Google to [url="http://www.krijtberg.nl/"]find out[/url].[/quote]

He seems to have changed it to the correct spelling, probably on account of Venite's correction. :)

Vincent Vega

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1938241' date='Aug 1 2009, 07:12 PM']*mompelt iets over de oosterse buren*[/quote]
iawtc
Oosterse buren, [i]indeed[/i]!

VeniteAdoremus

Oosterburen, PP. Oosterse buren zijn die mensen die naar het liturgische Westen spugen in Br. Hugo's kapelletje :)

But in answer to your unasked question, Rexi: yes, it's actually more awesome in reality, and yes, those altar rails are used for the distribution of communion. :)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1938261' date='Aug 1 2009, 06:27 PM']But in answer to your unasked question, Rexi: yes, it's actually more awesome in reality, and yes, those altar rails are used for the distribution of communion. :)[/quote]

Awesome! :)

I have to ask, though, is that where the altar rails originally were?

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1938336' date='Aug 2 2009, 03:55 AM']Awesome! :)

I have to ask, though, is that where the altar rails originally were?[/quote]

...I'm 24, how would I know? :)

I've seen original pictures of the St. Nicolaaskerk, and that had a layout very similar to what you can still see here. So yes, I think it's original. The place of the parish altar would have been empty, and to the side there'd be chairs for the clergy and servers.

The St. Agneskerk, which is the FSSP personal parish, also has a similar altar layout (although it's a completely different style).

To the Dutch eye, most American altar layouts look a bit small and crowded :) (Which doesn't mean I don't like it - the priest tends to disappear on those big choirs).

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1938837' date='Aug 2 2009, 07:07 AM']...I'm 24, how would I know? :)

I've seen original pictures of the St. Nicolaaskerk, and that had a layout very similar to what you can still see here. So yes, I think it's original. The place of the parish altar would have been empty, and to the side there'd be chairs for the clergy and servers.

The St. Agneskerk, which is the FSSP personal parish, also has a similar altar layout (although it's a completely different style).

To the Dutch eye, most American altar layouts look a bit small and crowded :) (Which doesn't mean I don't like it - the priest tends to disappear on those big choirs).[/quote]

We Americans have never had quires in our churches (for the most part). :(

It made some sense, though, since the most cathedrals and parishes in the United States have never really had enough clerics for the Office to be recited in common on a consistent basis or for clergy to assist at Mass in choro frequently.

I think that having a quire in most churches would be ideal; however, I do like it that laypeople at Mass are able to be closer to the altar when there is no quire.

That layout is huge with Anglican parishes. The one I used to go to in a small town years ago was layed out pretty Euro-Roman. :lol: