An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phatmassers From The Netherlands

Resurrexi

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1938895' date='Aug 2 2009, 06:22 PM']We Americans have never had quires in our churches (for the most part). :(

It made some sense, though, since the most cathedrals and parishes in the United States have never really had enough clerics for the Office to be recited in common on a consistent basis or for clergy to assist at Mass in choro frequently.

I think that having a quire in most churches would be ideal; however, I do like it that laypeople at Mass are able to be closer to the altar when there is no quire.[/quote]

Ah, that makes sense I guess.

In our Cathedral, there's three steps up - parish altar - three steps up - choir - three steps up - bishop's altar (with the choir stools for the canons in a semicircle around it, the Tabernacle has always been in a side chapel). It's big, dude, big :) (We have stuck a 120-person choir and full symphony orchestra up there on several occasions. Half of it would comfortably fit [i]all priests in the diocese[/i].

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1939597' date='Aug 3 2009, 02:26 PM']Half of it would comfortably fit [i]all priests in the diocese[/i].[/quote]

It would also fit all the priests in the diocese once VA is done OP'ing all the young lads she meets into entering seminary and they all get ordained and stuff ;)

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1939699' date='Aug 3 2009, 07:05 PM']It would also fit all the priests in the diocese once VA is done OP'ing all the young lads she meets into entering seminary and they all get ordained and stuff ;)[/quote]

Hey, I can't help that half the Catholic guys I meet instantly decide to swear off women forever!

But yes. Our cathedral is the biggest in the country, muhar :) And a lot prettier than the cathedral of the Archdiocese, to be honest.

It's a bit smaller than the one the protestants stole though :(

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1939717' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:51 PM']Hey, I can't help that half the Catholic guys I meet instantly decide to swear off women forever!

But yes. Our cathedral is the biggest in the country, muhar :) And a lot prettier than the cathedral of the Archdiocese, to be honest.

It's a bit smaller than the one the protestants stole though :([/quote]

Mine's small but very colourful. I'm tempted to say "perfectly formed" but somehow that just doesn't sound right....

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1939777' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:29 PM']Mine's small but very colourful. I'm tempted to say "perfectly formed" but somehow that just doesn't sound right....[/quote]

But it's not cross-shaped!

I like cross-shaped.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1939786' date='Aug 3 2009, 09:34 PM']But it's not cross-shaped!

I like cross-shaped.[/quote]

It's kind of cruciform. Squashed cruciform.

You people and your big beautiful churches... And the fact that you [i]lost [/i]churches bigger than we NA's ever had. Silly protestants :rolleyes:

:sadder: I wish we still had St. David's Cathedral...

This thread reminds me of a scene from "Seinfeld":

George: What is Holland?

Jerry: What do you mean, 'what is it?' It's a country right next to Belgium.

George: No, that's the Netherlands.

Jerry: Holland *is* the Netherlands.

George: Then who are the Dutch?

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1939786' date='Aug 3 2009, 02:34 PM']But it's not cross-shaped!

I like cross-shaped.[/quote]

You definitely wouldn't like the way most churches are shaped in my city.

:sadwalk:

Edited by Resurrexi

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Era Might' post='1939964' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:51 PM']This thread reminds me of a scene from "Seinfeld":

George: What is Holland?

Jerry: What do you mean, 'what is it?' It's a country right next to Belgium.

George: No, that's the Netherlands.

Jerry: Holland *is* the Netherlands.

George: Then who are the Dutch?[/quote]

That many English-speaking people use the words "Holland" and "the Netherlands" synonymously annoys me more than it annoys the average Dutch person <_< But hey, what can you do.

The word "Dutch" comes from the same root as "Deutsch", and the Dutch word for German is "Duits". The original root meant something like "people", if I remember my Old Germanic notes correctly.

<-- is a language geek.

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1940029' date='Aug 3 2009, 07:34 PM']That many English-speaking people use the words "Holland" and "the Netherlands" synonymously annoys me more than it annoys the average Dutch person <_< But hey, what can you do.

The word "Dutch" comes from the same root as "Deutsch", and the Dutch word for German is "Duits". The original root meant something like "people", if I remember my Old Germanic notes correctly.

<-- is a language geek.[/quote]
I wondered about that.......

Thanks for the etymology!

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1940065' date='Aug 4 2009, 02:29 AM']I wondered about that.......

Thanks for the etymology![/quote]

You're welcome!

(ieeee, someone appreciates my language nerdiness!)

VeniteAdoremus

Define "next". We're to the north of Belgium, west of Germany and east of England... and south of Norway I guess, unless you're in the west of the country, then you're south of a whoppin' load of water and the North Pole :)

Rex: it's okay, the chapel I'm going to be praying in six times a day is a box with a pointy roof.

...that would fit on the choir of our cathedral in its entirety.

Edited by VeniteAdoremus