An Old School Catholic Message Board

Scholars' Bowl

Resurrexi

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We didn't have that when I went to school. We had interscholastic meets sponsored by colleges, but they were either math or science only. Geometry was my specialty.

I was. Me and this Chinese girl were the strongest members of the team. But she had studied French, which gave her a helping hand in cultural and art questions. We were always put on different teams (our team trained by just doing little completions). I tried to help us win on the technicality that her answer of "The Last Rites" was incorrect as the official name of the sacrament is now "The Sacrament of the Sick and Dying".

Our teacher who ran the practices didn't buy it :ohno:

[quote name='Hassan' post='1939185' date='Aug 2 2009, 06:15 PM']I tried to help us win on the technicality that her answer of "The Last Rites" was incorrect as the official name of the sacrament is now "The Sacrament of the Sick and Dying".

Our teacher who ran the practices didn't buy it :ohno:[/quote]

The Council of Trent, when defining dogmatically what the seven sacraments were, referred to "the sacrament of the sick" as "extrema unctio" ("extreme unction") (cf. Denzinger-Schonmetzer 1601). In the [i]Catechism of the Catholic Church[/i], when listing the seven sacraments, calls it "Unctio infirmorum" (Anointing of the sick) (cf. [i]Catechism of the Catholic Church[/i], no. 1210). Also, the headings for the section on that sacrament both in the [i]Catechism[/i] and in the [i]Code[/i] call it "Sacramentum Unctionis Infirmorum" (the Sacrament of Extreme Unction).

While "the sacrament of the sick" is indeed an appropriate name for this sacrament, it is generally better to refer to it by its more well-known names: extreme unction and anointing of the sick.

Also, it might be good to add that "Last Rites" consists of three sacraments: Penance, and Extreme Unction, and the Eucharist received as Viaticum.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1939181' date='Aug 2 2009, 05:08 PM']We didn't have that when I went to school. We had interscholastic meets sponsored by colleges, but they were either math or science only. Geometry was my specialty.[/quote]

Same here.

Archaeology cat

I was on the Academic Team (for Language Arts and General Knowledge), and on the team for that computer quiz thingy with the great Auk. Whatever that was called.

Never until college, and only then for our national honors society for Criminal Justice, Alpha Phi Sigma. At conference it's funny, because we normally have more volunteers than available slots to be on it, and I'm not allowed to un-volunteer myself unless I'm presenting.