An Old School Catholic Message Board

Os On A Netbook

Lounge Daddy

Netbook operating systems!  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lounge Daddy

Fist of all, I think being able to install a new os onto a netbook off of a thumb drive earns bragging rights.

The [b]Win XP[/b] that came on my HP Mini was terrible, clumsy, and slow.

Oddly, [b]Windows 7[/b] was faster. Way faster. But it also hogged a lot of the hard drive, and was pre-loaded with a bunch of pro-Federal Government garbage, which creaped me out. (What else did big brother have Microsoft put on there?)

It took all of 30 mins to get [b]Ubuntu[/b] onto a USB drive, and then installed on the netbook. It ran fast enough, and the battery life is about 2.5 hrs.

After that, I installed HP's own version of Ubuntu that they have released for [b]HP MIni owners, called the "mie"[/b]. (Get it? The "mini mie"?) It was sleek looking and very "safe" for the average casual user -- especially for the user nervous about using something other than Windows.

...but it was too safe for me. I like to customize and add my own packages; which HP made (nearly) impossible.

Later I installed [b]Ubuntu's "Netbook Remix,"[/b] which is a netbook-optimized version of the OS. It has a fast fast boot time, an easy to use interface, instead of the standard desktop (so you don't have to squint at the screen, and is designed with internet in mind -- which is most of what people use a netbook for anyway.

I almost decided to install Fedora to give that a try. But it seems [url="http://s206905281.onlinehome.us/blog_jayt/?p=3"]there are some support issues [/url] for the HP Mini right now. Issit just me, or does Ubuntu offer a lot more support than other distros, and is right on top of the latest hardware?

Edited by Lounge Daddy

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='rachael' post='1940358' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:55 AM']i have windows and osx :evil:[/quote]

You, my dear, are just too cool for skool.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1940369' date='Aug 4 2009, 12:10 PM']You, my dear, are just too cool for skool.[/quote]
i get that a lot

The Bus Station

I have Vista on my HP Pavilion laptop -- I've only had it for a day but it runs pretty well :topsy: It helps a lot to change all of the visual settings from the glossy vista look to the Windows classic look. Doesn't look nearly as cool but it runs a wee bit faster so I don't mind. I'm considering upgrading to Windows 7 when it comes out in October (HP is sending it to me for free), though that'll all depend on how my PC is running. If I'm not having any problems with Vista (not enough to upgrade, anyway) then I'm going to stick with it. We've had Vista on the family desktop for over a year now and we've only ever had one problem with it which was back in the spring.

All I use my pc for is surfing the web, and this fall I'll be using it for schoolwork, writing papers and such. I only need the basics when it comes to computers so Vista is fine for me -- despite the fact it's a bit of a memory hog and it's not quite as fast as other OS's.

InHisLove726

I'm running on the Windows Vista OS on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I don't like it... :unsure:

I used to like it before when it was running smoothly, but now, with that dreaded July 26th update, I have had to hack the registry twice. Not fun... <_<

goldenchild17

I've been switching between XP ubuntu and OSX on and off. Right now I'm back on XP but will probably put OSX back on here before long. I was dual-booting combinations of all three but I don't like having to share my memory between them.

Deus te Amat

I'm currently running XP and Ubuntu, but when I go home, I'm going to bring my old lappy back to school with me and just load complete Ubuntu there, and XP on my new one -- and get rid of memory issues. <_<

Note, the old lappy will be used for math/programming purposes.

Lounge Daddy

I dig how the Ubuntu "netbook remix" makes efficient use of the smaller screen. And i have read that a future release will include [url="http://moblin.org/"]Moblin[/url].

Lounge Daddy

[url="http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html"][b]Google Chrome OS[/b][/url] anyone?

Chestertonian

The only Linux distros I've ever used were Fedora and Knoppix. I got lazy and didn't want to mess with the command line anymore so I switched back to Windows. My favorite windows OS is Windows 2000 Professional. I have a friend who's into obscure operating systems and he really likes Solaris and Free BSD, but I've yet to try out anything other than Windows and Linux.

Edited by Chestertonian