An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mel Gibson's Marriage "annulled"

Resurrexi

Mel's marriage is "annulled" ... by his own dad

No wonder Mel Gibson is giving the thumbs-up. Full time has been called on his 28-year marriage to Robyn Moore.

The Pope didn't give the order, though. That edict came from Mel's 90-year-old father Hutton Gibson, and it paves the way for his son to marry his pregnant Russian girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva by Christmas.

Having had his request turned down by Catholic bishops, Mel, 53, pleaded his case in front of a tribunal of members from the Church of the Holy Family, his breakaway Catholic church in Malibu.

Hutton, who once studied for the priesthood only to leave before he was ordained, presided over the hearing. He granted Mel's annulment request after his son presented evidence that his union to Robyn, 53, was never a true marriage — even though they wed in a Catholic ceremony in Australia in June 1980.

"Especially important was Mel's description of how he felt pressured into the marriage in the first place because Robyn was pregnant," a family insider says.

"Those feelings indicated to Hutton that it couldn't have been a true marriage, and so he felt it must be invalid.

"After the discussion ended, Hutton pounded his fist on the table and said, ‘It is true that this union did not have what it takes to be a true marriage.'"

The family are at pains to keep the annulment, which took place a month after Robyn filed for divorce in April, a secret — but maybe not too secret.

"Mel hopes some of the bishops he has befriended recently can be persuaded to give him a proper Catholic annulment," the insider says.

Either way, Mel is forging ahead with plans for a Christmas wedding to Oksana, 39.

[url="http://womansday.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=844132"]http://womansday.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=844132[/url]

Edited by Resurrexi

I'm sure Pope Benedict would require a tad more. When a bride is pregnant, the priest is supposed to take more time to make sure of the couple, not rush to marriage. Of course, that's today. I don't know what they did in 1980.

Deus te Amat

So, his initial wedding was illegitimate because she was pregnant, but he wants to now get married to his current girlfriend, who is pregnant? :unsure:

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1940661' date='Aug 4 2009, 07:31 PM']:crazy:[/quote]

Although Mel is very wrong on this matter, I wouldn't say that he's crazy. Henry VIII did the same thing basically.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1940661' date='Aug 4 2009, 08:31 PM']:crazy:[/quote]

Or, to put it another way:

[img]http://winsome.cnchost.com/cuckoo.gif[/img]

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1940663' date='Aug 4 2009, 06:33 PM']Although Mel is very wrong on this matter, I wouldn't say that he's crazy. Henry VIII did the same thing basically.[/quote]

Henry VIII was just as crazy.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1940663' date='Aug 4 2009, 08:33 PM']Although Mel is very wrong on this matter, I wouldn't say that he's crazy. Henry VIII did the same thing basically.[/quote]
Except he became a member (well, head) of a schismatic community after he did so, not before.

InHisLove726

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1940653' date='Aug 4 2009, 07:59 PM']Mel's marriage is "annulled" ... by his own dad[/quote]

:blink:

In 1980, he felt pressured to marry because his girlfriend was pregnant. Now, his current girlfriend is pregnant so this annulment paves the way for him to marry her.

Does anyone else see a problem with this?

[quote name='Didacus' post='1941082' date='Aug 5 2009, 09:19 AM']In 1980, he felt pressured to marry because his girlfriend was pregnant. Now, his current girlfriend is pregnant so this annulment paves the way for him to marry her.

Does anyone else see a problem with this?[/quote]

Yes, that's a huge problem. Given Mel's own traditional but bizarre theological leanings (at least in some respects) I can't imagine he will really be able to ever be at peace with this. Perhaps he is so obsessed with his father as his theological compass, that he needs his approval. Look for more trouble ahead. I wonder where the girlfriend's head is at theologically....

S.

ugh, what EVER! I could care less about these idiots and their weirdo perceptions of reality. EARTH TO MEL, COME IN MEL! :furious:

Deus te Amat

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1940659' date='Aug 4 2009, 08:22 PM']So, his initial wedding was illegitimate because she was pregnant, but he wants to now get married to his current girlfriend, who is pregnant? :unsure:[/quote]

[quote name='Didacus' post='1941082' date='Aug 5 2009, 08:19 AM']In 1980, he felt pressured to marry because his girlfriend was pregnant. Now, his current girlfriend is pregnant so this annulment paves the way for him to marry her.

Does anyone else see a problem with this?[/quote]

:yes: