An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mel Gibson's Marriage "annulled"

Resurrexi

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Didacus' post='1941082' date='Aug 5 2009, 07:19 AM']Does anyone else see a problem with this?[/quote]
Yes - a couple of bishops.

VeniteAdoremus

This is so sad :(

Think of his wife - they're saying that the marriage she was in for 28 years and during which they had seven children [i]never existed[/i]. Divorce is bad enough, but annulment... And his kids...

This is so sad :(

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1941338' date='Aug 5 2009, 05:10 PM']Think of his wife - they're saying that the marriage she was in for 28 years and during which they had seven children [i]never existed[/i].[/quote]

There have probably [i]real[/i] annulments that declared marriages between couples who had seven children to be invalid.

:unsure:

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1941341' date='Aug 5 2009, 05:17 PM']There have probably [i]real[/i] annulments that declared marriages between couples who had seven children to be invalid.

:unsure:[/quote]

Yep. People (usually the wife) fight those annulments pretty hard because they don't want to make their children illegitimate. Annulments in the church don't do that, but it is a common misconception.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1941350' date='Aug 5 2009, 05:33 PM']Yep. People (usually the wife) fight those annulments pretty hard because they don't want to make their children illegitimate. Annulments in the church don't do that, but it is a common misconception.[/quote]

My grandmother knew someone who refused to apply for an annulment because she wanted her husband, who had "married" another woman, to go to hell.

:mellow:

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1941353' date='Aug 5 2009, 05:35 PM']My grandmother knew someone who refused to apply for an annulment because she wanted her husband, who had "married" another woman, to go to hell.

:mellow:[/quote]

I've heard that kind of thing and worse in the tribunal. You expect the occasional drunk bride and groom, but I've taken testimony about drunk priests, about literal shotgun weddings where the groom joined the Army the next day to escape, people getting married because their mom remarried and the new step dad wanted them out of the house, you name it. When you do any kind of family law or criminal law, you see people at their worst, in dirty underwear.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1941359' date='Aug 5 2009, 06:49 PM']When you do any kind of family law or criminal law, you see people at their worst, in dirty underwear.[/quote]

I am not in family/criminal law and I still see people at their worst in dirty underwear... :unsure: (just a side note)

InHisLove726

[quote name='picchick' post='1941448' date='Aug 5 2009, 09:34 PM']I am not in family/criminal law and I still see people at their worst in dirty underwear... :unsure: (just a side note)[/quote]

:hehehe:

[quote name='picchick' post='1941448' date='Aug 5 2009, 08:34 PM']I am not in family/criminal law and I still see people at their worst in dirty underwear... :unsure: (just a side note)[/quote]

Yeah, cops, firemen, doctors, emts, nurses, all see people when they are most vulnerable or exposed. Priests too.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1941353' date='Aug 5 2009, 05:35 PM']My grandmother knew someone who refused to apply for an annulment because she wanted her husband, who had "married" another woman, to go to hell.

:mellow:[/quote]

It's as I've always said

hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn

:mellow: