An Old School Catholic Message Board

When A Friend Has Cancer...

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='apparently' post='1941071' date='Aug 5 2009, 06:47 AM']I know all too well about the aspect of (quote) “And if all she's got is her husband, she probably won't be too keen to be dragging him away from work all the time. Plus if there is a child in tow, it can be impossible doing it on your own”.
As a husband and bread winner for the family, the bills still need to be paid and it is one more burden to cope with.
Going to the doctor appointments with a friend or loved one in our personal experience is probably the single most helpful thing anyone can do to comfort someone suffering this way and I try to find a way to be there if I can.[/quote]

Well, I just got back from the oncologists office. The news was better than expected. You see, a few weeks ago the doctor told my wife her tumor marker (blood work) counts had increased slightly, but it was nothing to worry about. Of course, not knowing much about cancer, we feared the worst… so I took time off of work, today to be with her, just in case it was bad news.

Everything (the tumor marker levels) is in the safe range and the doctor was right in saying “there is nothing to worry about”..

My wife asked me if I was mad for missing time from work, over a false alarm (almost apologized) and I said no (I wasn’t). I really wanted to be there! The best part is she is okay; it was good news all the way around for both of us.

On the way out of the doctor’s office, the misses ask for a kiss and said yea (hip-hip -hurray).

Edited by apparently