An Old School Catholic Message Board

Crucifixes In Dorm Rooms

TeresaBenedicta

Crucifixes  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1941356' date='Aug 5 2009, 05:43 PM']Who would we rather offend God or man? To not put up a Crucifix because we are afraid it will offend someone means we have more respect for a person(s) than God.[/quote]

I do think that the possibility of drunk college students desecrating the crucifixes is a good reason not to put them in all the dorm rooms, though.

"Give not that which is holy to dogs; neither cast ye your pearls before swine."

Edited by Resurrexi

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1941382' date='Aug 5 2009, 05:22 PM']I do think that the possibility of drunk college students desecrating the crucifixes is a good reason not to put them in all the dorm rooms, though.

"Give not that which is holy to dogs; neither cast ye your pearls before swine."[/quote]
I'm sure the drunk and rowdy types are the first to pay an arm and a leg to go to a Catholic university. Makes perfect sense to me.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1941393' date='Aug 5 2009, 06:39 PM']I'm sure the drunk and rowdy types are the first to pay an arm and a leg to go to a Catholic university. Makes perfect sense to me.[/quote]

I don't know anything about the students who attend TeresaBenedicta's college besides what she has said about them:

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1941219' date='Aug 5 2009, 12:40 PM']There [b]will[/b] be desecrations. Kids are stupid, disrespectful, and it gets worse when they've been drinking.[/quote]

Edited by Resurrexi

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1941393' date='Aug 5 2009, 08:39 PM']I'm sure the drunk and rowdy types are the first to pay an arm and a leg to go to a Catholic university. Makes perfect sense to me.[/quote]

You'd be surprised. Mommy and Daddy have enough money to send their kids to a school where they can drink their worries away.

Yes, we're a party school. Is the school happy about it? No... But, it's getting better. We used to be much worse. As in, being rated by playboy as one of the top ten party schools in the US. We're not nearly as bad anymore. And, like I said, Catholic idenitity is way on the rise.

But, you've still got some of those rowdy bunch here.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1941393' date='Aug 5 2009, 07:39 PM']I'm sure the drunk and rowdy types are the first to pay an arm and a leg to go to a Catholic university. Makes perfect sense to me.[/quote]

I was one of the only kids to actually pay for my college the whole way through. Mom and dad helped me if I needed it but I paid in full everything.

Most of the kids I went with did not. Mom and dad paid their way and most didn't care that they did get drunk 3 of the 5 days.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1941396' date='Aug 5 2009, 07:43 PM']We're talking about Catholics, right?[/quote]

I think kabbalah

[quote name='Winchester' post='1941378' date='Aug 6 2009, 12:18 AM']Charge a Crucifix removal fee if they don't want it in there.[/quote]
I like that idea though...

I voted no to being forced upon a general permanent cruxifix for the sole and only reason given here: [quote name='ilovechrist' post='1941339' date='Aug 5 2009, 11:14 PM']not to mention... most of us have crucifixes from home that we treasure as personal and/or special. i'd much rather hang my own crucifix. and as cmom said--the school can easily decorate the rest of the building to their taste, since the dorm room is the only space by legal contract that is rented out to a student for the year.[/quote]
And if made removable, the dorm crucifix would surely end up in my drawer, on the nail hanging my own...

VeniteAdoremus

I voted yes, mostly because if I came in there on my first day, suitcase in hand, bunch of nerves... I would absolutely love it if there was a crucifix hanging in my room.

Even though I'd also bring three of my own ;) (hey, they're my grandma's, my grandpa's, and a tiny one a friar gave me... it's not like I can choose!)

let_go_let_God

At the college I went to, all of the newer dorm buildings rather than having Crucifixes had the Benedictine Cross. It was "small" about eight inches tall and hung next to the main door. It was a simple reminder that we are a Benedictine College and should live our lives by the rule of St. Benedict.

Students could take them down, and I know a few that did, but they had to be back in place by the end of the school year.

God bless-
LGLG

I dont think there's anything wrong with a catholic school putting a catholic symbol in their rooms, the issue I would have would be that some kids might desecrate it. So as much as I think its absolutely within their rights to put crucifixes up... maybe they should be wary of the danger in doing so.

The Bus Station

[quote name='Kaeldra' post='1941884' date='Aug 6 2009, 11:13 AM']I dont think there's anything wrong with a catholic school putting a catholic symbol in their rooms, the issue I would have would be that some kids might desecrate it. So as much as I think its absolutely within their rights to put crucifixes up... maybe they should be wary of the danger in doing so.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.