An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Priest, A Nun, And A Rabbi Walk Into A Bar...

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

No. Seriously, we've all heard the jokes, but I'm actually sitting there with a co-worker and a priest, a nun, and a rabbi walked into the bar.

The only thing I could think of doing was saying "So a priest, a rabbi, and a nun walk into a bar AND..." and I looked at the young woman tending the bar. She just stared blankly and finally said "order food?" :mellow: What a lost opportunity.

Deus te Amat

[quote name='elizabeth09' post='1942753' date='Aug 7 2009, 01:36 PM']I think that the priest, and the nun can not drink, but I do not know about the rabbi.[/quote]

I know several priests that enjoy a few beers. And I think some convents serve wine with dinner on feastdays. :unsure:

[quote name='elizabeth09' post='1942753' date='Aug 7 2009, 10:36 AM']I think that the priest, and the nun can not drink, but I do not know about the rabbi.[/quote]

I actually just had my priest over for steaks last night and we served a cabernet sauvignon with it.

Rosemary's Goddaughter

To be honest, I've never actually heard what the ending to that joke's supposed to be. Is there an ending to it, or does the joke lie in the beginning itself?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='elizabeth09' post='1942753' date='Aug 7 2009, 02:36 PM']I think that the priest, and the nun can not drink, but I do not know about the rabbi.[/quote]
Sure they can :cheers:

Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There's laughter, cheer, and good red wine;
At least I have always found it so--
Benedicamos Domino!
--Hillaire Belloc

yeah, they're catholics, not puritans. That's hilarious that that actually happened. That bartender needs to be quicker on the uptake though!!

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Rosemary's Goddaughter' post='1942825' date='Aug 7 2009, 01:42 PM']To be honest, I've never actually heard what the ending to that joke's supposed to be. Is there an ending to it, or does the joke lie in the beginning itself?[/quote]
I'm with you. If there were an ending to the joke, it would make my day to know what it was.

Vincent Vega

A priest, a preacher and a Rabbi walked into their favorite bar, where they would get together two or three times a week for drinks and to talk shop.

On this particular afternoon, someone made the comment that preaching to people isn't really all that hard. A real challenge would be to preach to a bear.

One thing led to another and they decided to do an experiment. They would all go out into the woods, find a bear, preach to it, and attempt to convert it.

Seven days later, they're all together to discuss the experience.

Father Flannery, who has his arm in a sling, is on crutches, and has various bandages, goes first.
"Well," he says, "I went into the woods to find me a bear. And when I found him I began to read to him from the Catechism. Well, that bear wanted nothing to do with me and began to slap me around. So I quickly grabbed my holy water, sprinkled him and, Holy Mary Mother of God, he became as gentle a lamb. The bishop is coming out next week to give him first communion and confirmation."

Reverend Billy Bob spoke next. He was in a wheelchair, with an arm and both legs in casts, and an IV drip. In his best fire and brimstone oratory he claimed, " WELL brothers, you KNOW that we don't sprinkle! I went out and I FOUND me a bear. And then I began to read to my bear from God's HOLY WORD! But that bear wanted nothing to do with me. So I took HOLD of him and we began to wrestle. We wrestled down one hill, UP another and DOWN another until we came to a creek. So I quick DUNKED him and BAPTIZED his hairy soul. And just like you said, he became as gentle as a lamb. We spent the rest of the day praising Jesus."

They both looked down at the rabbi, who was lying in a hospital bed. He was in a body cast and traction with IV's and monitors running in and out of him. He was in bad shape.
[spoiler]
The rabbi looks up and says, "Looking back on it, circumcision may not have been the best way to start."[/spoiler]
(punchline spoilered to prevent any potential scandal)

Mods, feel free to remove that if you don't feel it's appropriate.

There are tons more of these jokes, they were bigger a long time ago, and as such, were replaced by the infamous meta joke (walk into a bar, and the bar tender says, "Is this some kind of joke?"), which I suppose is lost on those unfamiliar with the original jokes.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS