An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'd Like To Learn Scots...

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

...Either Scots Gaelic, or Lowland Scots, but I don't know of any good resources - do you?

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1943274' date='Aug 7 2009, 11:44 PM']I am pretty sure that Aloysius knows Irish Gaelic, a related but distinct language.[/quote]
I didn't know he knew Irish Gaelic. The unfortunate (for me, but fortunate for the culture) thing is that many who know the Gaelic languages learned them as primary or at least secondary languages from their family (as far as I'm aware).
And they are similar, but not too close (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic_language#Common_words_an
d_phrases_with_Irish_and_Manx_equivalents
).
I'd settle for Lowland Scots at first, as after all, it's just a bit of a hobby type thing, plus it may provide a bit of a segue into the full blown Gaelic version.

My father in law speaks all of the above. The guy did his doctoral thesis on a translation of the Cursor Mundi. I just wish he was more understandable in actual English.

Archaeology cat

Go on the Edinburgh Ale Trail. Some of the old men in the pubs might teach you Gaelic. At least that's what happened when I went on that with my friends. :unsure:

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1943274' date='Aug 8 2009, 06:44 AM']I am pretty sure that Aloysius knows Irish Gaelic, a related but distinct language.[/quote]

Irish is a Celtic language; Scots is Germanic. The two are only related in that they are both Indo-European.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1943296' date='Aug 8 2009, 12:38 AM']My father in law speaks all of the above. The guy did his doctoral thesis on a translation of the Cursor Mundi. I just wish he was more understandable in actual English.[/quote]

I love [i]Cursor Mundi[/i]!

:woot:

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1943393' date='Aug 8 2009, 02:29 AM']Irish is a Celtic language; Scots is Germanic. The two are only related in that they are both Indo-European.[/quote]

I wasn't talking about Lowlands Scots. I was talking about Scottish Gaelic, which is closely related to Irish Gaelic.

:)

Edited by Resurrexi

I'm Scottish. Pretty much everyone here speaks English with a varying degree of incorporation of Scots words and pronunciation. I've never really understood treating Scots as a separate language - to me it's a regional slang variant of English, and I used to be told when growing up not to talk like that, to talk properly! It's mostly just English words pronounced differently e.g. "ain" = "own", "noo" = "now" and educated people in Scotland don't generally talk like that now. It's completely different from Gaelic so I doubt one would help you with the other.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1943269' date='Aug 8 2009, 01:43 AM']...Either Scots Gaelic, or Lowland Scots, but I don't know of any good resources - do you?[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_language"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_language[/url]

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1943397' date='Aug 8 2009, 03:08 AM']I love [i]Cursor Mundi[/i]!

:woot:[/quote]

Yes, but can you read it in the original Middle English? I actually used a citation from my father in law's book on it in a Christology paper. Like the teacher didn't already think I was nuts.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Deeds' post='1943404' date='Aug 8 2009, 05:55 AM']I'm Scottish. Pretty much everyone here speaks English with a varying degree of incorporation of Scots words and pronunciation.[/quote]
Yeah, I know - I understand it's still rather widely spoken as one moves farther north and west (i.e. the Hebrides).
[quote]It's completely different from Gaelic so I doubt one would help you with the other.[/quote]
Lowland Scots is certainly very anglicized, but as far as I know, it does have Scots Gaelic vocabulary (i.e. ken/know, where ken is the Gaelic word for know).
Do you speak Gaelic?

I'd like to learn Scots Gaelic if for no other reason than being able to figure out the pronunciation of Scots Gaelic words. Learning Lowland Scots would be as more of a curiousity.

Vincent Vega

I don't think Rosetta stone offers Scots Gaelic.
And after checking, I'm sure.

And if you're payin, I'll go.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1943362' date='Aug 8 2009, 04:58 AM']Go on the Edinburgh Ale Trail. Some of the old men in the pubs might teach you Gaelic. At least that's what happened when I went on that with my friends. :unsure:[/quote]

Lemme know next time you do that...srsly. :mellow: