An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'd Like To Learn Scots...

Vincent Vega

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Luthien' post='1943510' date='Aug 8 2009, 06:12 PM']Lemme know next time you do that...srsly. :mellow:[/quote]
I haven't made it back to Edinburgh since then, and that was 8 years ago. I need to go back.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1943492' date='Aug 8 2009, 10:59 AM']Yes, but can you read it in the original Middle English?[/quote]

No. :sadwalk:

puellapaschalis

I'm writing a paper at the moment which compares Gospel translations in Old English and Gothic. YUMMY.

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1943666' date='Aug 8 2009, 04:00 PM']I'm writing a paper at the moment which compares Gospel translations in Old English and Gothic. YUMMY.[/quote]

I take it that you are a linguistics major?

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1943503' date='Aug 8 2009, 06:49 PM']Yeah, I know - I understand it's still rather widely spoken as one moves farther north and west (i.e. the Hebrides).

Lowland Scots is certainly very anglicized, but as far as I know, it does have Scots Gaelic vocabulary (i.e. ken/know, where ken is the Gaelic word for know).
Do you speak Gaelic?

I'd like to learn Scots Gaelic if for no other reason than being able to figure out the pronunciation of Scots Gaelic words. Learning Lowland Scots would be as more of a curiousity.[/quote]
I learnt a few words of Gaelic at school. The only complete sentence I can remember how to say is "Alistair and Anna are walking along the road" which hasn't come in very useful in life so far, I must admit. I'm no expert, but I think the population in the Highlands and Islands has a high concentration of elderly people (as the young people move away for work and study) and they are the ones who are fluent in Gaelic. I've got a friend from Harris who doesn't speak any Gaelic, even though both her parents were fluent speakers.

BBC Scotland used to show some children's TV shows in Gaelic, which you can probably see clips of on Youtube. The most notable one is called Dotaman - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1jx_okWe5Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1jx_okWe5Y[/url] - I have no idea what this man is singing about or where he buys his hats but I remember being quite entertained by it as a kid!

If you're looking for a pronunciation challenge there's also Welsh! Try getting your tongue around Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwlll
lantysiliogogogoch.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Deeds' post='1943785' date='Aug 9 2009, 12:23 AM']If you're looking for a pronunciation challenge there's also Welsh! Try getting your tongue around Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwlll
lantysiliogogogoch.[/quote]
It takes a panoramic shot just to get the name of that town in one picture! I'll stick with calling it "Llanfair p g"