An Old School Catholic Message Board

Respecter Of Persons

KnightofChrist

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

KnightofChrist

Should we at times hide elements of our faith from others because it will offend them?

Edited by KnightofChrist

Fidei Defensor

I think there is a difference between "hiding" your faith, and choosing to not openly proclaim certain things to people who didn't ask or necessarily have a reason to know.

Example: you see a same sex couple. If they asked how you felt about them, I think it would be appropriate to tell them your view. However, it would be inappropriate to go up to them and call them sinners when they didn't invite your opinion.

In short, I don't think faith should be hidden, but it also doesn't need to be shoved in people's faces, either.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1943746' date='Aug 8 2009, 06:59 PM']I think there is a difference between "hiding" your faith, and choosing to not openly proclaim certain things to people who didn't ask or necessarily have a reason to know.

Example: you see a same sex couple. If they asked how you felt about them, I think it would be appropriate to tell them your view. However, it would be inappropriate to go up to them and call them sinners when they didn't invite your opinion.

In short, I don't think faith should be hidden, but it also doesn't need to be shoved in people's faces, either.[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1943750' date='Aug 8 2009, 06:04 PM']I agree with fidei defensor.

/useless post[/quote]

Pretty much.

A friend wanted me to come over and hang out all night, but I work at noon tomorrow, so I have to go to the early Mass. So I apologized and said I couldn't, and didn't give a reason until he pressed.

Another time a friend was complaining about those ":censored: pro-lifers" and how she was glad she didn't associate with any. I told her I was pro-life, and she told me that I actually could speak with her without yelling at her, and that was a difference.

KnightofChrist

Example: Your with a group of friends who do not practice a faith. At dinner when it is time to pray do you make the sign of the cross and pray quietly but aloud. Or do you [u][b]because it may offend them / embarrass you[/b][/u] pray silently and secretly or not at all?

"you" btw is used in general.

Edited by KnightofChrist

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1943779' date='Aug 8 2009, 05:11 PM']Example: Your with a group of friends who do not practice a faith. At dinner when it is time to pray do you make the sign of the cross and pray quietly but aloud. Or do you [u][b]because it may offend them / embarrass you[/b][/u] pray silently and secretly or not at all?

"you" btw is used in general.[/quote]
I think it would be acceptable to pray however you usually pray. However, praying aloud is no more holy or devout than praying silently, so it should be at the discretion of the person praying as to whether or not it would be appropriate. I don't think it's wrong to pray in either form in front of non-practicing friends. If they're offended, that's their problem. As long as you aren't insisting they join with you or you chastise them for not praying too, I don't see a problem.

It's not good to make a show of your piety, because then it becomes about you, and not about God. When you're pushy about religion, other people don't see your faith, they see only your pushiness. You should never hide your faith in front of other people, but don't push it on them when they're not ready for it. Sometimes you can talk to a complete stranger about Our Lord, because they are open to that conversation. But at other times, even with someone you know, they are not ready. You have to treat them according to where they are. But, again, you should never hide the relationship that you have with Our Lord. There is a difference between hiding that relationship, and being prudent about when and how you reveal the depths of that relationship.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1943789' date='Aug 8 2009, 07:26 PM']I think it would be acceptable to pray however you usually pray. However, praying aloud is no more holy or devout than praying silently, so it should be at the discretion of the person praying as to whether or not it would be appropriate. I don't think it's wrong to pray in either form in front of non-practicing friends. If they're offended, that's their problem. As long as you aren't insisting they join with you or you chastise them for not praying too, I don't see a problem.[/quote]

I made no claim that it was holier. The point is would someone not doing it because it would offend others or embarrass themselves. Would either of the two justify not 'praying aloud' or whatever element of the faith may cause the same results.

Edited by KnightofChrist

I didn't vote. I don't like the example of praying before meals, either. I always pray silently before a meal, and this example makes me feel like less of a Catholic because I don't cross myself and say a blessing loud enough for others to hear.

I've had good and bad experiences sharing my faith. If someone finds out I'm Catholic and they ask me a question, it's usually really casual and respectful all around. Opportunities like that are fantastic for clearing up misconceptions, plus it makes one a sharper apologist IMO.

But there have been other times when I've been verbally attacked and grilled by peers in the classroom simply because I'm a Catholic. I defended myself the best I could, but the experience caused a lot of anxiety for me. After class, I broke down in tears over it. In those situations, I'd rather just keep it to myself. I'm not going to hide my cross or express my opinion when the topic is relevant, but I'm not going to proclaim it obnoxiously, either.

There was also a situation where I was at Mass with a fallen-away Catholic who is very, very close to my heart. I told him he shouldn't receive Communion if it's been a long time without going to Confession first. That person, who I do believe was seeking to return to the Church, hasn't gone to Mass since. I can't help but think that if I had phrased it differently, or just stayed quiet, he might have eventually come around....

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1943792' date='Aug 8 2009, 05:33 PM']I made no claim that it was holier. The point is would someone not doing it because it would offend others or embarrass themselves. Would either of the two justify not 'praying aloud' or whatever element of the faith may cause the same results.[/quote]
I didn't mean to imply anything by it. It's just that some people only pray aloud in front of others to try and prove their faith and holiness.

Some people are just naturally embarrassed about many things. Like I said, I think it's up to the person to decide what would be appropriate. When I was a Catholic, I prayed silently, usually, because I didn't think it would be appropriate to create any unneeded awkwardness. I didn't do it to avoid offending anyone, they were all quite aware of my beliefs.

TeresaBenedicta

I think the virtue of prudence is a great adviser in these types of situations...

I don't think we should hide our faith so as to avoid offending folks or being embarrassed, although I admit that I have done so before...

But, I do think that there are times when it is most prudent to be silent. You have to gage your audience and tailor your words and actions accordingly. What does that mean/look like? I don't know. It all depends, really. Depends on the situation at hand, the people involved, and a whole sort of factors.

Prudence. Let the Holy Spirit guide you.

maybe in certain circumstances your relationship with God, should be treated as a relationship with a human. as in, most of the time you should limit the PDA's.

the person who insists everyone prays loudly with him regardless of faith is bit like the couple making out at the front of the classroom. kinda forcing too much of something most people dont really want to see.

when asked about said relationship i would answer honestly, but i wouldnt try to shove it into places it really isnt asked for.

I agree with Fides. I think it would depends on the situation. I stilll pray and my friends know that. However, I will pray silently. I still make the sign of the cross and stuff. However, if my friends say a different before meal prayer I will join them in theirs.

I am not embarrassed of my faith and will not hide it. But I do not go around and proclaim it every minute of my day. I believe that by living my life in my faith, I am a stronger witness.

tinytherese

In the words of St. Francis of Assisi, "Preach the gospel at all time. Use words when necessary."

And in the words of St. Catherine of Sienna, "If you are what you should be, you will set the world on fire."