An Old School Catholic Message Board

Respecter Of Persons

KnightofChrist

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I put a big Catholic Women's League patch on my backpack. If any of the Atheists on the bus have a problem seeing a big cross with our motto, "For God and Canada" they can forgive my unpleasant disposition.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1943919' date='Aug 8 2009, 10:58 PM']In the words of St. Francis of Assisi, "Preach the gospel at all time. Use words when necessary."

...[/quote]

Good advice.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/mari%c3%a9+digby/track/what+ive+done+(acoustic+version)"]MariƩ Digby - What I've Done (Acoustic Version)[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1943746' date='Aug 8 2009, 04:59 PM']I think there is a difference between "hiding" your faith, and choosing to not openly proclaim certain things to people who didn't ask or necessarily have a reason to know.

Example: you see a same sex couple. If they asked how you felt about them, I think it would be appropriate to tell them your view. However, it would be inappropriate to go up to them and call them sinners when they didn't invite your opinion.

In short, I don't think faith should be hidden, but it also doesn't need to be shoved in people's faces, either.[/quote]

[quote name='Era Might' post='1943790' date='Aug 8 2009, 06:28 PM']It's not good to make a show of your piety, because then it becomes about you, and not about God. When you're pushy about religion, other people don't see your faith, they see only your pushiness. You should never hide your faith in front of other people, but don't push it on them when they're not ready for it. Sometimes you can talk to a complete stranger about Our Lord, because they are open to that conversation. But at other times, even with someone you know, they are not ready. You have to treat them according to where they are. But, again, you should never hide the relationship that you have with Our Lord. There is a difference between hiding that relationship, and being prudent about when and how you reveal the depths of that relationship.[/quote]

:yes:

I tend to not openly talk about my faith. That doesn't mean that I'm hiding it. If I'm in a disussion and the topic turns to religion, then I won't be ashamed to talk about anything. There are times when we're called to step out and evangelize and when we're called to speak the truth when evil confronts us, but most importantly, we're called to be salt and light. If you're neither of those things, then your open, visual proclamation of the faith is useless. :ohno:

[quote name='tinytherese' date='08 August 2009 - 10:58 PM' timestamp='1249786709' post='1943919']
In the words of St. Francis of Assisi, "Preach the gospel at all time. Use words when necessary."
[/quote]

That's what I was thinking of.

And I always pray silently before meals, especially when everyone is saying it out loud. When the family has been saying it together for such a long time, the action became to me like an empty ritual, words monotonously spoken. In other words, I am able to put more feeling and life to the prayer when I say it. Quality over quantity, you know.

[quote name='Kitty' date='08 August 2009 - 06:04 PM' timestamp='1249769060' post='1943750']
[snip]

/useless post
[/quote]

Not as useless as this one.

thessalonian

Hide is not a very good word. It is at times prudent to not explain something or to only give the simplest explanation first because the other party simply won't understand. You have to meet people where they are at. Jesus did this. He said there were things that the apostles could not yet bear to hear. We don't start teaching a 4 year old Calculus. We start with 2 + 2.

By the way I did vote no because we should not simply withhold something because it will offend.

Edited by thessalonian

Nihil Obstat

I don't like the way the poll question was phrased, because of the words "hide" and "because it will offend them". I believe there are times where it would be more prudent not to display your faith, but NOT because it might offend someone. One would do it perhaps because they knew it would cause an unnecessary fight, or because the person they are with would be more open to other forms of evangelization...

If someone is genuinely interested in the faith and is open to receiving Truth, we should hide nothing, even if some aspect might offend. If, however, someone is asking questions in an attacking manner and is not receptive to Truth, then we should not throw pearls before swine.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='tinytherese' date='08 August 2009 - 10:58 PM' timestamp='1249786709' post='1943919']
In the words of St. Francis of Assisi, "Preach the gospel at all time. Use words when necessary."
[/quote]

or...

Preach the Gospel at all times. Use t-shirts when necessary.

saw that on a t-shirt recently LOL. One can spread the faith w/o saying a word indeed.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='21 August 2009 - 01:45 AM' timestamp='1250837127' post='1953728']
I don't like the way the poll question was phrased, because of the words "hide" and "because it will offend them". I believe there are times where it would be more prudent not to display your faith, but NOT because it might offend someone. One would do it perhaps because they knew it would cause an unnecessary fight, or because the person they are with would be more open to other forms of evangelization...
[/quote]

You made me think of a mug shot I saw in the St. Pete Times. A visibly drunk/high individual had a religious t-shirt on. I guess if you plan to get arrested, please don't let people know you're Catholic. We don't need the bad press.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='28 August 2009 - 10:55 AM' timestamp='1251478507' post='1957238']
You made me think of a mug shot I saw in the St. Pete Times. A visibly drunk/high individual had a religious t-shirt on. I guess if you plan to get arrested, please don't let people know you're Catholic. We don't need the bad press.
[/quote]
I'll make sure that whenever I go out with my Phatmass shirts, I have another one to throw overtop, just in case. ;)