An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jehovah's Witnesses

VeniteAdoremus

VeniteAdoremus

My pet Jehovah's Witness came by to say goodbye. She's going on holiday and I'm too busy with pre-entrance stuff afterwards.

Now how am I going to get my fix of "Confession is going through an intermediary and doesn't convey real forgiveness" and sola scriptura craziness next week? I think I'm already having withdrawal symptoms!

There are a couple of Jehovah's who visit the convent every now and then and have been trying to convert our prioress for the last decade or so (and she them, with gleeful pleasure). But I bet I won't be allowed to play with them until I'm out of initial formation.

Does anyone have some fun Jehovah stories to fill this gaping void? (Mormon is allowed, too. I can't believe I unthinkingly turned them away last time they came calling!)

homeschoolmom

My first experience with Jahovah's Witnesses was when I was in jr. high. They came by selling the Watchtower. I was home alone. They told me that my mom always bought them (which she probably did to make them go away-- very non-confrontational, my mom).... Anyway, the issue I bought had an article about Michael Jackson. It was 1983.

When I was student teaching (5th grade) there was a Witness in my class. I had to teach a unit on a novel (of my choice) and I chose The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe... which was my favorite children's book at that time. That did not go over well with his mother. She called me and tried to talk me out of teaching it (because anything with a witch in it must be about the occult, of course). But she was unsuccessful. She tried desperately to get me to use some novel that was written in the early 1900s. Aside from the fact that I had no intentions of switching my lesson plans to teach on a book I had never heard of, the school district didn't have 30 copies of that book anyway. (The public library didn't even have one....) So, I politely told her "no dice." I asked her if talking animals would be problematic and she said no. So, I exempted him from reading LWW and gave him The Cricket in Times Square to read (It was the only other fantasy book that I could think of off the top of my head that I'd read recently that was at about the same reading level that didn't have magic or anything...) I was NOT thrilled to be having to create TWO lesson plans for this unit. He also wouldn't sing in music class because most of the songs were patriotic or holiday related.

My Godparents lived right across the street from a JW Hall. She was from Mexico and loved putting as many religious statues in her front garden as it would hold. I'm not sure if it was like a ring of garlic to keep away vampires, or just to irritate them.

KnightofChrist

I have respect for Jehovah Witnesses. They stand up for what they believe in, even if everyone is against them. I also respect there willingness and courage to go door to door to spread the gospel, at least their version anyway. I hate to say it but they do a far better job at obeying Christ's command to evangelize the world. We as Catholics are far to lazy in this regard and complain more than necessary when they evangelize.

St. Paul went from house to house spreading the gospel, so should we. Christ preached in the streets, so should we.

Chestertonian

My wife was a Jehova's Witness when we first started dating, and I'm very happy to announce that she became a Catholic this Easter! It's hard to believe that just four years ago, she was knocking on doors and handing out Watchtower magazines, and now she's praying the Rosary and receiving our Lord in the Eucharist. The biggest stumbling block for her was the concept of the Trinity, but our RCIA director just happened to be a former Jehova's Witness himself, and was very familiar with the JW's arguments against the Trinity and was able to address them. It's amazing the way the Holy Spirit has worked in her life :)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Chestertonian' post='1945370' date='Aug 10 2009, 12:55 PM']My wife was a Jehova's Witness when we first started dating, and I'm very happy to announce that she became a Catholic this Easter! It's hard to believe that just four years ago, she was knocking on doors and handing out Watchtower magazines, and now she's praying the Rosary and receiving our Lord in the Eucharist. The biggest stumbling block for her was the concept of the Trinity, but our RCIA director just happened to be a former Jehova's Witness himself, and was very familiar with the JW's arguments against the Trinity and was able to address them. It's amazing the way the Holy Spirit has worked in her life :)[/quote]

I'd be interested in hearing a synopsis of those arguments, if you ever have the time.

One summer a group of us (myself, a seminarian, and another friend of mine) went to the county fair and had a long conversation with some Jehovah Witnesses who had a booth set up. I think we talked for a good two hours. But then the ladies had to ask for the conversation to stop because they did not know how to answer some of our objections to them regarding their understanding of the Holy Trinity. Who knows, maybe we planted some seeds in their hearts. It was an enjoyable conversation, though. I'd love to have more of them.

Chestertonian

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1945383' date='Aug 10 2009, 10:06 AM']I'd be interested in hearing a synopsis of those arguments, if you ever have the time.

One summer a group of us (myself, a seminarian, and another friend of mine) went to the county fair and had a long conversation with some Jehovah Witnesses who had a booth set up. I think we talked for a good two hours. But then the ladies had to ask for the conversation to stop because they did not know how to answer some of our objections to them regarding their understanding of the Holy Trinity. Who knows, maybe we planted some seeds in their hearts. It was an enjoyable conversation, though. I'd love to have more of them.[/quote]

This JW apologetic article covers most of em I think: [url="http://www.jehovantodistajat.fi/e/ti/index.htm"]http://www.jehovantodistajat.fi/e/ti/index.htm[/url]

eagle_eye222001

When I was little, a JW came to the door and my Mom answered. The JW went into her speal and I'm not sure how it came up but my Mom basically pointed out a verse in John 6 about if you do not have Jesus's body or blood you have no life within him. Well the JW basically ignored my Mom and tried to restart but my Mom pointed out that she had not addressed her point. The JW tried to restart again and after going in circles three times in a row and realizing the conversation was over, my Mom basically tried to end it nicely after which the lady refused to leave. Finally my Mom just threatened to call the cops and with that the lady left. They never stopped at our house again and from that point on, they traveled in groups of two instead of one.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/hans+zimmer+%26+james+newton+howard/track/always+a+catch+(album+version)"]Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard - Always A Catch (Album Version)[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

Chestertonian

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1945554' date='Aug 10 2009, 01:58 PM']I've never met a JW (insofar as I know).

:sadwalk:[/quote]

You've never had a JW knock on your door?

Edited by Chestertonian

[quote name='Chestertonian' post='1945561' date='Aug 10 2009, 03:02 PM']You've never had a JW knock on your door?[/quote]

I am not usually the one at home when that happens.

+J.M.J.+
when my hubby and i were living at a different location, we lived not too far away from a Kingdom Hall. so one morning, they woke me up in the neighborhood of 7 a.m. :yawn: i was none too happy, especially since they kept knocking. so i opened up the door, very bleary-eyed (i think i might have been drinking the night before), and still in my pj's (which were not exactly modest), and hair very askew, and very impolitely asked them what the hell they wanted. :mellow: for some reason they never came back to my apartment. :lol:

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1945567' date='Aug 10 2009, 04:03 PM']+J.M.J.+
when my hubby and i were living at a different location, we lived not too far away from a Kingdom Hall. so one morning, they woke me up in the neighborhood of 7 a.m. :yawn: i was none too happy, especially since they kept knocking. so i opened up the door, very bleary-eyed (i think i might have been drinking the night before), and still in my pj's (which were not exactly modest), and hair very askew, and very impolitely asked them what the hell they wanted. :mellow: for some reason they never came back to my apartment. :lol:[/quote]

Someone wanted to get their route over with. :mellow:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/hans+zimmer+%26+james+newton+howard/track/a+dark+knight+(album+version)"]Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard - A Dark Knight (Album Version)[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

InHisLove726

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1945567' date='Aug 10 2009, 04:03 PM']+J.M.J.+
when my hubby and i were living at a different location, we lived not too far away from a Kingdom Hall. so one morning, they woke me up in the neighborhood of 7 a.m. :yawn: i was none too happy, especially since they kept knocking. so i opened up the door, very bleary-eyed (i think i might have been drinking the night before), and still in my pj's (which were not exactly modest), and hair very askew, and very impolitely asked them what the hell they wanted. :mellow: for some reason they never came back to my apartment. :lol:[/quote]

:lol_pound:

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1945579' date='Aug 10 2009, 02:14 PM']Someone wanted to get their route over with. :mellow:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:idontknow: they gave me a magazine and left. i think i may have scared them a bit. :mellow: and thereafter, they left the magazines at the door (which was the one we never used).